What have I bought??

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Weester

What have I bought??

Post by Weester » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:21 am

Good morning all..

I have some new components for a new system that I would love to get some feedback on before I "break the seals" or open the box...

I have:
a P8Z77-M Pro Mb,
Hydro H60 liquid Cooler,
I7-3770K Processor (77W),
8 GB M (2 x 4 GB) 1600 DDR3,
Crucial TM650M PS,
Crucial Carbide 300R case.

Yea, I know that the case is big, but does anyone see any compatibility, over-kill or caution issues with these parts???

Thank you all for what ever help and time that you can give. :D

The Weester

edh

Re: What have Ibought??

Post by edh » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:09 pm

The liquid cooling setup will not be silent as the pump is not as quiet as any reasonably quiet fan. Why did you opt for water cooling? A 77W CPU is coolable very adequately with a tower heatsink much quieter than water cooling. As you have gone for the K model I would guess that you plan on overclocking very heavily (otherwise its wasted) but seeing how you can get 125W CPUs cooled adequately with a tower heatsink, water cooling will not be a requirement.

I'm a little confused over the Crucial product listed as I couldn't find it anywhere. Is that an SSD or RAM?

What PSU and graphics card will you be using?

Weester

Re: What have I bought??

Post by Weester » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Hi edh,

First of all, thanks for taking the time and effort to answer my query...

What I was initially looking for in a cooler was one in which the fan part was secured to a rear fan exit port, but with the processor cooling pad positioned correctly over the processor. The coolers that I was shown would cool the processor ok, but it would just circulate the dissipated heat within the case and rely on other fans to cool the cases interior. None found... So, I opted to go with one I chose. This gives more direct cooling from chip directly to the outside. As far as the noise, I'm a bit hearing impaired, so it won't bother me. Was there anything wrong in my logic??

There were three items by Crucial: Memory, power supply and case. Which were you asking about?

Weester

Weester

Re: What have I bought??

Post by Weester » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:23 pm

edh,

I read your answer again and saw that you were asking about the ram. After I came home and looked it up on the Crucial website, I could not find direct reference to it, but close. It is actually a "Ballistix Sport" version by Crucial listed on the memory as: BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S00. A search on Google did not find anything negative about it.

I listed the power supply and case as Crucial erroneously , but they are actually by Corsair.

I was not looking for a processor that was for over-clocking, so I got sucked by the salesman. It will be returned for something more appropriate.

I'm replacing a 7 year-old pc that works fine, but it's time to move on. My requirements are simple; no game requirements, on-board video and audio are fine. I will be getting an 256 GB SSD for the Win 8 OS, antivirus and ZIP backup software. The rest of the software will be on a 1TB drive. The back-up drive will be a 2 TB drive.

Weester

edh

Post by edh » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:12 am

The 3770k is only better than the 3770 in that it is unlocked. The 3770 can still overclock anyway but will still be overkill for your purpose. If you just feel the need to move on as opposed to having an application that needs this kind of CPU, a much cheaper model would have done.

As for cooler placement, with a CPU that is a max of 77W you could run a large passive heatsink like a Thermalright HR-02 and it will be positioned close enough to the exhaust 120mm that this will cool it sufficiently with the heat being taken out the back.

If you have a Corsair PSU then I guess from the product number you posted before it will be a 650W right? This will be way over the top. The total conumption for this system will be barely over 100W maximum. I would definitely not use this PSU. A seasonic G-360 would make more sense or if you've got more money to spend then a Platinum 400 fanless.

The Corsair case is overkill in terms of size gievn that you will not have a graphics card. Therefore something like the Silverstone TJ-08E would have made more sense and been able to be cooled easier.

Weester

Post by Weester » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:59 am

Hi edh,

You make some very good points and will have a day or two to take a second evaluation of what my REAL needs are. I'm looking for a SERIOUS number-crunching machine, I do a lot of scientific calculation application stuff. Perhaps I should consider a graphics board, since I occasionally need to render/rotate the results of 15,000 calculations a second. But, I'll see what the video on the MB can do first.

Do you know why one does not see a lot of Blu-Ray record and playback decks (internal) on the market?? It is currently on my WANT list, but I'm not sure I really need it yet. Should I opt for a dual layer DVD (8GB) instead?

Are you into the pc business professionally or just as a hobby??

Weester

washu

Post by washu » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:17 pm

Weester wrote: Do you know why one does not see a lot of Blu-Ray record and playback decks (internal) on the market?? It is currently on my WANT list, but I'm not sure I really need it yet. Should I opt for a dual layer DVD (8GB) instead?
I see a reasonable number of drives on the sites I frequent, where are you looking?

More importantly, what is your need for a Blu-ray burner? If you just want to play movies then a read only drive will suffice. If you need to burn movies that will play on standalone players then a burner could be useful. However, there are lots of ways to play movies that don't involve burning a disk. If you are thinking of using it as a backup device look elsewhere. Blu-rays are either too small or way to expensive to be a reasonable backup choice.

edh

Post by edh » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:37 am

Weester wrote:I'm looking for a SERIOUS number-crunching machine, I do a lot of scientific calculation application stuff.
The 3770 now makes sense. :D The software you're using is probably well set up for using multiple cores and processors so a quad core makes more sense.
Weester wrote:Are you into the pc business professionally or just as a hobby??
I have been in the past. I have done a lot of work with PC based medical systems in particular which tend to be built to be overengineered to the nth degree. Having worked extensively in ECG I am knowledgeable on electrical problems and interference.

Irrelevant

Post by Irrelevant » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:38 pm

washu wrote:
Weester wrote: Do you know why one does not see a lot of Blu-Ray record and playback decks (internal) on the market??
Largely because the MPAA is violently opposed to them. They think that if it were cheap to write Blu-Ray discs then piracy would increase. They also think "PC" stands for "pirating consumer" and that back-ups deprive them of their rightful revenue, so they go out of their way to make Blu-Rays impossible to copy and inconvenient to read on a PC, rendering a Blu-Ray writer nearly useless. Because they're nearly useless, few are sold, which keeps manufacturing volumes low, and that results in high prices and stagnant tech. Thus, whether you're backing up or exchanging data, thumb drives and external HDD's are cheaper, faster, and more convenient, even for movies.

To hell with Blu-Ray, and to hell with the MPAA. :evil: