Mac Mini as windows htpc?

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Schroinx

Mac Mini as windows htpc?

Post by Schroinx » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:40 am

I am thinking about replacing my htpc with a Mac mini running windows, as was advised on avsforum. But they are not always as concerned with noise, so I thought I better ask here about how noisy the mini really is. Also if there is any gain from choosing specific mini models noise wise. It's going to replace a c2d 8400, with nexus fans in a ahanix case.

CA_Steve

Re: Mac Mini as windows htpc?

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:13 am

This might help. Get the baseline unit. Maybe boot from an external SSD.

Schroinx

Post by Schroinx » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:26 am

By baseline, do you mean the version with the lowest configuration?
Thx, I just saw the post. Very informative indeed.

I am just in doubt if there is a difference between the 2011 and 2012 models in terms of noise. I am also considering to await the next generation, based on the haswell platform. Intel will release the platform in 2Q 2013, but there is no rumors about when a mac mini based on this will hit the shelves. However, as I am in no hurry as my existing htpc is working okay, I can wait and see.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:37 pm

baseline = cheapest version.

Haven't listened to the 2011, so couldn't compare. All in all, the 2012 is pretty quiet, especially if it's sitting next to a TV 6ft or more away.

If Intel's Haswell intro schedule is similar to IVB, and Apple's Mac intro's follow the same gameplan this year as last, you won't see 2013 Mac Mini's until November. That said, Haswell's IGP should kick some butt.