First Impressions: Asus P8Z77-M PRO mATX LGA1155 motherboard

Closely moderated reviews by forum members willing to share their experience and accept stiff peer review. Open only to registered forum members.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: First Impressions: Asus P8Z77-M PRO mATX LGA1155 motherb

Post by Das_Saunamies » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:50 am

How big is the difference to that Intel board, the DH77EB? I've seen a review where the V Pro actually posted figures high enough to matter, but I haven't noticed one for the M Pro.

This board's ace in the hole is really the fan control. Without it, it's just a nice board with good features, some even smart like the USB BIOS update, but nothing one can't live without if they go Gigabyte or Intel.

RHN

Post by RHN » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:00 am

I refer you to this discussion if you haven't seen it already:

"DH77DF vs DH77EB - power consumption"

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=64635

My source of information was an article in the German periodical "C't" comparing various mainboards and praising the energy efficiency of the Intel boards DH77EB and DH77KC.

It does seem that the ASUS board's ace in the hole, among many other aces, is its fan control.

One of my builds is an Intel DH67BL and i5 2400s cpu cooled by a Noctua top-down heatsink regulated by Zalman's Fan Mate. The CPU was surprisingly cool when I last looked, yesterday, when outdoor temperatures in my part of Germany were approaching 38°C and the PC had been in operation for several hours.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:08 am

That is nice and low. Maybe I need to go find a Kill-a-Watt/power meter and get some readings for my Asus.

kozyura

Post by kozyura » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:31 am

Hello,

I've been reading SPCR for many years and now it's time for my first post on this forum :) I'm going to buy this MoBo but have a concern that my Scythe Big Shuriken will cover 1st PCIe slot (and it shouldn't happen because I want to have a graphic card that should coexist with big shuriken which is best cooler that fits into my Silverstone GD02-MT). Could you please tell me is it the case or I have nothing to worry about?

Andriy

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:33 am

I think we calculated something similar in another thread for the RAM slots, let me see if I can apply the principle here...

My cooler has okay clearance for the PCIE slot and uses a symmetrical design; since it is 126 mm long on the relevant axis (Y, if we're looking towards CPU socket), we can say 63 mm from the centre of the CPU is good enough.

The Scythe manufacturer specs at http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/cpu/1 ... index.html put the Big Shuriken 2 at 135 x 125 mm, 125 mm being the relevant figure here, if memory serves. The design is again symmetrical (I checked this with image editing software at one point), so this should mean the distance from CPU centre is 125/2 = 65.2, as in very close to my cooler's.

I'd say it should fit just fine, assuming your card doesn't have huge bulges on the backside.

kozyura

Post by kozyura » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:15 am

Thank you for this analysis :) kiitos paljon

JJ

Post by JJ » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:34 pm

I have a Scythe Mugen 3, which is 130mm wide (slightly wider than the Big Shuriken), mounted on the P8Z77-M PRO and there's about 10mm of clearance between it and the first PCIe slot.

kozyura

Post by kozyura » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:27 am

Hi, got this MoBo last week and experienced problems with SSD detection. My old WD Greens are detecting with no problems, but OCZ Vertex 4 isn't visible in BIOS. OCZ guys are saying it's MoBo's problem. Have you experienced something similar?

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:47 am

Vertex 4 is the new one right? That's the trouble with hot-off-the-press SSD controllers, results are unpredictable. :?

My m4 was correctly identified even with stock firmware, I think the BIOS was 0907, meaning it was the first BIOS update that Asus put out. I've had no issues with this SSD and this mobo, and both have been regularly updated to the latest available firmware.

I've also helped put together a couple rigs with Samsung 830 SSDs (both 128 and 256 models) and this mobo, no trouble with that combination either.

Here's a quick google results with a similar problem, fixed by updating the SSD's firmware: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum ... ed-in-BIOS

kozyura

Post by kozyura » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:02 am

I've updated BIOS to 1504 and SSD firmware 1.5 from my friend (his pc detecting it with no probs) and after that had a chat with OCZ guys who suggested me to contact ASUS. Now I submitted ticket to ASUS support (quite painful procedure :)), let's see what they will tell.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:37 am

I see you've taken the correct steps already. I also did some further googling, and this recognition problem seems to be or have been quite widespread. Hope you can get it sorted out, or at least find a definitive cause, so we know what the compatibility for this drive is.

The thing is, this board uses the Intel chipset's SATA controller, so if it was a "problem with the mobo", that would suggest it was a problem the drive had with one of Intels most popular (judging by selection) chipsets. It could of course be something purely to do with the BIOS/UEFI.

PS. One Hail Mary one could try was swapping SATA ports. It's a really, really long shot with just one controller for all six ports, but you never know, especially since some are SATA 3 and some SATA 2. I can't remember what the BIOS options for the drives are, but if the port is enabled and set to use automation, that should surely do it.

JJ

Post by JJ » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:36 pm

A new BIOS, version 1616, is available.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_ ... /#download

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Addendum regarding video cards and cooler clearance.

Post by Das_Saunamies » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:22 am

I finally added a graphics card to the setup and took some pictures to verify clearance. Forgot to include the Bic pen, but oh well.

The Big Picture, card is a bit bigger (longer) than expected.

Close up. Pardon the shitty phone camera.

Adding a card is not a problem, even with a big tower cooler like the Noctua U12P.

JJ

Post by JJ » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:30 am

Which card? I've been contemplating a 7750 or 7770.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:48 am

650 Ti. Better value IMO if you're staying mainstream/budget, if not then 7850 for efficiency or 660 for performance. Gave my first impressions here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=65468.

ryamadeus

Post by ryamadeus » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:30 pm

Hello everyone, I bought this board recently, Im planning on building an high end PC, to produce motion graphics and 3d and also, for gaming.

I was wondering If a 212 heatsink would fit with some Corsair Vengeance RAM at 1600 mhz? A V8 would fit? I don't think so, but I would like to ask the experts.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:02 am

Hello ryamadeus, and welcome to SPCR!

Which Cooler Master 212 are we talking about? EVO? Plus?

My Noctua cooler's specs at http://noctua.at/main.php?show=productv ... g=en&set=1 state that its width ("depth") is 95 mm with a single fan, i.e. a 24 mm increase on the right side over its 71 mm default size. Since the cooler shape is uniform, that's 71 / 2 + 24 = 59,5 mm from cooler centre point to fan edge. This size does somewhat overlap one of the RAM slots, so clearance may be an issue if your cooler is similar in size. My G.Skill Snipers fit fine, and removal/replacement is easy with the Noctua cooler's fan clips allowing easy prior fan removal.

The CM V8 cooler is 120 mm or 128 mm wide, as stated in its specs at http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product ... ct_id=2869, so it would definitely overlap the RAM slots. No removable fans means no leeway. The outer elements look like they have plenty of clearance though.

I would personally forgo the V8, unless you absolutely, positively must have the aesthetics it provides.

ryamadeus

Post by ryamadeus » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:22 pm

Hello, thank you for the welcome and for the fast answer.

I'm thinking of buying the 212 Evo.

By "overlap" you mean, I wont be able tu use that slot, right? Efffff

What heatsink would you recommend that fits on the MOBO?. I don't plan on overclocking, but I just want to make sure nothing will happen to my CPU. I've been saving money for 6 months already.

I asked you about the V8 because I thought that's the best out there, I don't really know much about these things. I do know soemthing, but I dont have experience building computers.

Please help man.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:27 am

By overlap I mean the heatsink would extend over the slots, based on the specs, but I don't know the extent it would prevent you from using the RAM slots, as I have no experience with that particular model. It does look problematic, because you cannot take the fan off the side and that way have better access to your RAM sticks. Try looking for pictures of the cooler installed in a system.

Both the 212 EVO and 212 Plus should fit, and the Plus is SPCR-approved, provided you swap the stock fan for something quieter. The EVO is a forum favourite budget option. You can't go wrong with the Noctua U12P that I have, of course, it's just expensive (but you do get two top-notch fans). Another option would be the Thermalright TRUE Spirit 120M that shot straight to the top of the "Small" leaderboard: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1326-page5.html. This cooler is my new personal favourite, as it is compact, clever, and a good performer - just has the same caveat of a poor stock fan.

If you want more suggestions, why not read the SPCR reviews: http://www.silentpcreview.com/section11.html or make a post about your upcoming setup here on the forums? It should be easy enough for you to check the dimensions as necessary, just follow the formula above (heatsink width halved plus fan width).

PS. Any modern, decent 120 mm tower cooler should be able to handle any modern, efficient CPU in acoustic comfort. Overheating is a minor concern these days, unless you force ridiculously low fan speeds or block airflow.

bim27142

Post by bim27142 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:50 am

Hi!

I just registered here since i find this thread very informative...

Moving on, I am pondering on going mATX from my current ATX rig... and I am exactly looking at these specs (P8Z77-M Pro, FD Define Mini)...

I have a few questions if I may...

First off, how's the board performing to date?
Secondly, how's the clearance between the RAM slots and a long graphics card (e.g. Palit Jetstream GTX 660 Ti, or Asus GTX 670 DC2)? Will the lower slot not touch the GPU PCB? I can see from your setup though that it didn't but just would like to hear your estimates for the 2 mentioned cards.

Here's what I am planning to acquire...
Current -->> Plan
Asus P8Z77-V -->> Asus P8Z77-M PRO
Lancool PC-K63 -->> Fractal Design Define Mini
Noctua U12P-SE2 -->> Corsair H80i or Antec Kuhler 920
Palit Jetstream GTX 660Ti -->> Asus GTX 660 (downgrade non Ti - since I prefer now to conserve power particularly when the PC is not used for gaming... I just game once in a while now and am just a casual gamer anyway)
Thanks!

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:40 am

Welcome to SPCR!

Board has been issue-free.

You can see clearance in pictures, should not be interference between card and RAM.

JJ

Post by JJ » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:53 am

bim27142 wrote:Moving on, I am pondering on going mATX from my current ATX rig... and I am exactly looking at these specs (P8Z77-M Pro, FD Define Mini)...

I have a few questions if I may...

First off, how's the board performing to date?
It's been fantastic for me, as well.
Secondly, how's the clearance between the RAM slots and a long graphics card (e.g. Palit Jetstream GTX 660 Ti, or Asus GTX 670 DC2)? Will the lower slot not touch the GPU PCB? I can see from your setup though that it didn't but just would like to hear your estimates for the 2 mentioned cards.
I don't have a GPU, but I don't see how it would even be possible for the RAM modules and a card to touch. RAM and CPU cooler, sure. CPU cooler and GPU, possibly.
Here's what I am planning to acquire...
Current -->> Plan
Asus P8Z77-V -->> Asus P8Z77-M PRO
Lancool PC-K63 -->> Fractal Design Define Mini
Noctua U12P-SE2 -->> Corsair H80i or Antec Kuhler 920
Palit Jetstream GTX 660Ti -->> Asus GTX 660 (downgrade non Ti - since I prefer now to conserve power particularly when the PC is not used for gaming... I just game once in a while now and am just a casual gamer anyway)
Keep in mind that the Fractal Design Define Mini is a large microATX case. If a smaller system is one of your goals, make sure that you look up the dimensions of the Fractal case. It's nearly the size of many ATX cases.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:06 pm

JJ wrote:I don't have a GPU, but I don't see how it would even be possible for the RAM modules and a card to touch.
I've come across a few motherboards where installing a long card prevented the RAM slots from being used, because the card would interfere with the RAM stick locking mechanism. Luckily Asus has done away with the double-sided locking mechanism, and only the free top side has the levers now, removing that issue forever.

bim27142

Post by bim27142 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:58 pm

JJ wrote:Keep in mind that the Fractal Design Define Mini is a large microATX case. If a smaller system is one of your goals, make sure that you look up the dimensions of the Fractal case. It's nearly the size of many ATX cases.

Yeah, that's fine... I like more of a shorter case... The width and depth is not an issue though... and I really like the minimalistic design of Fractal Define's...

bim27142

Post by bim27142 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:00 pm

Das_Saunamies wrote:
JJ wrote:I don't have a GPU, but I don't see how it would even be possible for the RAM modules and a card to touch.
I've come across a few motherboards where installing a long card prevented the RAM slots from being used, because the card would interfere with the RAM stick locking mechanism. Luckily Asus has done away with the double-sided locking mechanism, and only the free top side has the levers now, removing that issue forever.
Yes, this was actually what I had in mind, the RAM mechanism or the lower end of the RAM slot... I was thinking it would hit the GPU but luckily that it wouldn't...

Thanks for the response guys! Appreciate it...