how long till hard drive density doubles?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dan

Post by dan » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:25 pm

hi,

currently i can buy a 9.5mm 2-platter 1 platter/500gb 2.5" samsung 1tb drive for $89 at newegg.

i would prefer the same as above but 2tb (doubling)

Abula

Re: how long till hard drive density doubles?

Post by Abula » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:11 pm

Hard Disk Drives' Densities to Double by 2016 - Analysts., i somewhat doubt what i read on that article.... but relates to your query.

What i have seen is hdd density not always doubles, for example the 250gb platters we saw 333 as the next platter increment.... hdd manufacturers are already having trouble getting more density as it is.... specially in 2.5 hdd, big manufacturers like Seagate is getting out of the 2.5 7200rpm hdd by the ends of this year, as SSDs are closing the gap, given that there is still time as the price difference is still big.... they are chosing to get out before they wont sell, so thinking on this i doubt you will see higher density mechanical hdd on 2.5, probably WD might push some... but with M500 960gb that its expected to retail for $600....and in a year or two it will go to half.... we might not see much interset on manufacturers to develop for 2.5 factor.

The question is weather they will continue to invest into developing higher density platters or not, as its bound to end someday.... in desktop it will be slower, as there are more storage needs every day, SSDs are not there yet in reliability and cost.... but will happen in time.

I just bought Hitachi 7k1000 1tb, as i still think $90 is fair for 1tb of storage, but i do think this will be my last laptop mechanical drive.

Btw you can find 2tb 2.5 hdd, just not in the 9.5 factor, WD Green 2 TB Mobile Hard Drive: 2.5 Inch, SATA II, 8 MB Cache - WD20NPVT

dan

Post by dan » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:59 pm

Abula wrote:Hard Disk Drives' Densities to Double by 2016 - Analysts., i somewhat doubt what i read on that article.... but relates to your query.

What i have seen is hdd density not always doubles, for example the 250gb platters we saw 333 as the next platter increment.... hdd manufacturers are already having trouble getting more density as it is.... specially in 2.5 hdd, big manufacturers like Seagate is getting out of the 2.5 7200rpm hdd by the ends of this year, as SSDs are closing the gap, given that there is still time as the price difference is still big.... they are chosing to get out before they wont sell, so thinking on this i doubt you will see higher density mechanical hdd on 2.5, probably WD might push some... but with M500 960gb that its expected to retail for $600....and in a year or two it will go to half.... we might not see much interset on manufacturers to develop for 2.5 factor.

The question is weather they will continue to invest into developing higher density platters or not, as its bound to end someday.... in desktop it will be slower, as there are more storage needs every day, SSDs are not there yet in reliability and cost.... but will happen in time.

I just bought Hitachi 7k1000 1tb, as i still think $90 is fair for 1tb of storage, but i do think this will be my last laptop mechanical drive.

Btw you can find 2tb 2.5 hdd, just not in the 9.5 factor, WD Green 2 TB Mobile Hard Drive: 2.5 Inch, SATA II, 8 MB Cache - WD20NPVT

yeah that model is not 9.5 mm but thanks anyway

an increase from 500mb/platter to 667 would mean 12.5mm 2.5" 2tb drive

HellDiverUK

Post by HellDiverUK » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:28 pm

So what's wrong with the Samsung M8? It's 9.5mm, 1TB.

I've got a couple of the WD Green 2TB 2.5" drives, but they're 15mm high - OK in the desktop applications I use them in, but they're useless in most laptops due to the height. They're slow, too. I use them for online backups (Crashplan).

dan

Post by dan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:59 pm

HellDiverUK wrote:So what's wrong with the Samsung M8? It's 9.5mm, 1TB.

I've got a couple of the WD Green 2TB 2.5" drives, but they're 15mm high - OK in the desktop applications I use them in, but they're useless in most laptops due to the height. They're slow, too. I use them for online backups (Crashplan).
i want 2tb hd.

how noisy and energy are
WD Green 2TB 2.5" drives, but they're 15mm high

obviously 4-platter.