Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Noctua prototype with active noise cancellation

Post by Tzupy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:28 am

CA_Steve

Re: Noctua prototype with active noise cancellation

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:39 am

Techpowerup's description is different than what was reported last year. The former says there are actual speakers for inverse noise function, the latter says the fan blades are driven to provide the inverse function.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:25 pm

I was going to post this, but I got beaten to it :)

I found this, which is simply a re-distribution of information from the above source - so sadly adds nothing new to the mix.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Noctua-Ac ... 44450.html

Although I have absolutely no interest in buying such a product anytime soon, the technology itself is what interests me - I am a Geek, I cant help but to want to know more (preferably everything).

Andy

PS: If I spot any more info, I will post it into this thread.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:11 am

Here is some very useful info.

http://hexus.net/tech/news/cooling/5684 ... cellation/

There are NO speakers, read to find out how the technology works.

This is directly from Noctua (courtesy of Hexus).

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=rotosub_anc_project

Andy

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:08 am

Very cool implementation, but that is one buzzy fan and it seems to run quite fast. Makes me wonder whether this will actually have a noticeable impact at lower speeds.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:32 am

Most of the people who would buy this wont have the same priorities as the average SPCR reader, they will be interested in performance first and noise second. Those people also tend to spend a lot more on their computer equipment than Silent PC fanatics do (overall), so this product is certainly aimed at the high-performance overclocking market as its primary focus as it will almost certainly be one of the best coolers on the market if only because this cooler should be able to cool better due to higher fan speed with the same or lower noise levels.

For the Silent PC Fanatics this could (to be SPCR tested yet) be the best performer at xxx Db level, again due to its ability to run the fan at a higher speed with the same/lower noise levels. Whether this technology only works at certain (read: HIGH) fan speeds I don't know, but I would expect that this technology could (and likely will) work at a range of fan speeds.

As for the "buzzy fan". Although I agree that it sounds pretty nasty, its also likely spinning at 2000+rpm with "air straighteners" built into the fan which are also known to create unwanted tones, but also the microphone on the video-camera was directly in-front of the fan and quite close, and obviously without a computer case to soften the noise. When all of these things are put together that would explain a lot about the nasty noise picked up through that video.

If that fan were to be run at 1200-1500 rpm in a decent case I would guess that it would be SPCR tested at 11-14 Db....... But that is only a guess.

Andy

PS: The shocker is going to be the price - I am guessing it retailing at £70-£90, (110-141 USD, 112-144 CAD, 82-106 Euro's).

Lucky Luciano

Post by Lucky Luciano » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:50 am

I've been using a similar technology for over a decade. It's called...[drum roll]...opening the window.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:24 pm

I've been using a similar technology for over a decade. It's called...[drum roll]...opening the window.
Which is fine, if you don't have screaming children outside, or foxes attempting reproduction, or live next to a motorway, or its -10c outside.

For the rest of the time a quite computer may be the only choice for sanity.

And just in-case you are trolling, please don't.

Andy

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:44 am

Actually, since the post came from a fellow inhabitant of Bucharest, the reasons for NOT opening the window should be:
- car noise, especially at night, illegal racing;
- ferral dogs barking, also at night;
- screaming 'music' (manele) from a gypsy party;
- fireworks;
- temperature of +35C outside.