Folding@home V7

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Folding@home V7

Post by frenchie » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:33 am

Hi everyone,
I just realized there is a new version of the folding engine, it's called V7. I strongly recommend that you upgrade, it's super easy and the whole package is very nice !! There is a whole new system, web based, that figures out what your system is and runs all the correct clients (SMP, CPU or GPU), and you can see all the progress in your internet browser. There is also, for each client, a description of the project you are working on.

More info here :
intro to V7 : http://folding.stanford.edu/English/V7-Introduction
windows guide : http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinGuide
FAQ : http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-V7

Enjoy !!

PS : I had to move the priority level to "Full" to get my GPUs to run properly.

NeilBlanchard

Re: Folding@home V7

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:18 pm

Yes, my client automatically upgraded to v7 and so far it has been flawless. I think it may well run faster on whatever hardware you have?

cordis

Post by cordis » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:13 pm

Yeah, version 7 has some cool features, you can monitor other machines on your network, and it will download the next WU in some cases. There was also a recent release that may let you fold on nvidia cards natively in linux. I haven't gotten it to work yet, but it's supposed to be available now. There is also supposed to be better support for the new nvidia Kepler cards, an OpenCL driver that is also supposed to work better with AMD cards as well. I did recently get a 770 gtx card, but I haven't seen the new WUs yet. Been doing some upgrades recently, might post some pictures sometime. But yeah, upgrade to version 7 if you can, it's somewhat cool. Although it can be a little tricky to set up compared to the command line interface.

cordis

Post by cordis » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:35 pm

Another update, I got v7 working with a gtx 770 card, and it's producing more than 80k ppd! Very nice stuff, think I'll get a 780 and see how that goes. The kepler cards is a real game changer in terms of ppd/watt. I'd definitely recommend getting one if you can swing it. I think two of those 770 cards can match my old amd dual processor bigadv system, for less than a 3rd of the cost. Still need to update my ppd/watt spreadsheet and see how it really breaks down though, but I may just stop doing normal smp folding on some machines and switch them to gpu folding completely. I haven't yet tried nvidia gpu folding on linux yet, though, still want to try that.

cordis

Post by cordis » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:39 pm

Hey, another update, with a little overclocking (and not much), I got the gtx 770 card up to 90k ppd, which is nice. I also picked up a gtx 780 card, and it's generating 139kppd! It's pretty amazing. Oh, and I think both cards are using less than 200W! I'm really going to have to check my ppd/watt tables and re-optimize the farm. I highly recommend getting one of these cards if you can, good stuff.

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:50 pm

wow, nice !!!

$650... that hurts !! No way Madam the boss is allowing that :( !!! :mrgreen:

I could get almost 5 times the ppd with the same watt usage than my existing setup :twisted: