Memory Upgrade for fast gaming performance?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

louieee

Memory Upgrade for fast gaming performance?

Post by louieee » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:00 am

hello! just new here and I am confuse...I would like to play the new tomb raider 2013, but i am not sure if my system is fast enough?I have a Biostar Hi Fi A55S3 motherboard with 4 GB of RAM and a NVIDIA GTX 650. My processor is AMD A10-5700.

Is it wise to add more memory into the system? How much could i put and are there any problems with that?

looking forward for some helping advice.

CA_Steve

Re: Memory Upgrade for fast gaming performance?

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:03 am

Welcome to SPCR. It's doubtful that your system RAM is the bottleneck for that game. 4GB is usually enough for most games under Windows. It's easy enough to see - just run the Windows Task Manager and click on the performance tab. Start your game, run it for a couple of minutes and then alt-tab back to to the desktop. Look at the Physical Memory Usage History graph. If it's maxing out, then you need more RAM.

Here's a benchmark review for the game @ Techspot. The game appears to be light on CPU use and mostly dependant on GPU. You don't mention your monitor resolution, but looking at the charts, your card is best at running the game at less than 1080p or by turning down the eye candy (you can probably double your fps).

mkk

Post by mkk » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:10 pm

True. As with most games coming from the console world this new Tomb Raidere can not use a lot of RAM, even when running on the high graphics settings that I've been playing it with. Having more than 4GB could be nice in general as the operating system can always put extra RAM to use, but for this game it wouldn't make any difference. DDR3 memory prices are only likely to go up from now on so it's not as good a time to grab some extra as any. Go easy on the graphics quality settings and Tomb Raider will run fine on your system.

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:26 am

If he is running no x64 OS, then all that added RAM would be wasted.

But since my crystall ball seems to need upgrades and doesn't show any clear images right now, we might need a tad more info from the OP.

louieee

Post by louieee » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:00 pm

Hello guys, sorry, i was too busy at work the last weeks. No mind for my PC =(

i am playing on 24" monitor and using Windows 7 with 64 bit.

So you say with medium settings all should be fine for sure? that sounds already quite ok for me, if i can avoid any expenses :oops:

boost

Post by boost » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:46 pm

Does Memory Matter? No.
You should update your graphic card drivers for Tomb Raider. With older nVidia drivers for GTX 600 series the game crashes often. After the update you should be able to play on medium to high settings.