Vibration and hard drive failures

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

maiitax

Vibration and hard drive failures

Post by maiitax » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:50 pm

I'm interested in knowing the side effects people have encountered with trying to implement vibration damping of their hard drives. I have been running a freenas server with 10 x 2 TB green drives. In the last 2.5 years I have lost 50% of my drives due to failure. The average temperature was around 32-35C. head parking was disabled with wddile3. The only thing I can conclude is that some of the drives were screwed in on one side only for ease of access. I have checked the other remaining drives using SMART and have noticed significant wear.

I am concerned about noise/heat and I was wondering if anyone out there runs a server with vibration damping HDD racks and has experienced multiple drive failures? Specifically hard drive racks that use rubber grommets to hold the drive in place. I have found evidence of how vibrations does effect performance http://www.overclock.net/t/1283520/hdd- ... ust-a-myth. From searching different sites I have not found clear correlation between how rapidly drives wear out based on being packed together. Based on the expertise of this forum specifically in vibration management does anyone have any opinion if vibration damping cages increase/decrease lifespan or performance when multiple drives are loaded. I just don't want to end up with another set of multiple drives failing in 2 years.

Here is example of vibration damping cage