Scythe Mugen 4 CPU Cooler: Scythe Strikes Back

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Scythe Mugen 4 CPU Cooler: Scythe Strikes Back

Post by Lawrence Lee » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:31 pm

CA_Steve

Re: Scythe Mugen 4 CPU Cooler: Scythe Strikes Back

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:23 pm

Yay! I'm happy to see this review :)

hybrid2d4x4

Post by hybrid2d4x4 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:47 pm

Glad to see Scythe making a strong return. I emailed their NA sales a few weeks ago wondering where I can get a mounting kit for the newer socket (upgrading from S775) and they replied that they're doing some major restructuring for the Americas market and should be re-appearing in Sept. Hope it works out for them as they have consistently delivered good stuff for a fair price!

dan

Post by dan » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:49 pm

what are the results fully passive/fanless?

how does Scythe Mugen 4 CPU Cooler compare with thermalright et al, completely passive?

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:58 pm

Thanks Lawrance for the review, I own this mugen 3 and to me it was a very good option, specially because of the included fan, there is no need to swap it, as it has incredible range of operation, the only minus for me its the mounting bracket that imo isnt as good as thermalrights or noctuas, a little harder to get it in, but once you know it its not that hard.

I just have a small request for future SPCR reviews on fans, i love fanXpert2 and recommend it a lot, and i see why its so useful for reviews also, im even doing a database and testing all the fans i own. But on Asus motherboards, there is a limitation that for me its important to take into account, and its the motherboards only have 1 PWM fan header (CPU_FAN) and the rest are just voltage controlled (CHASSIS_FAN 1,2,3), even if its 4pin its not really a PWM fan header, the bios and fanXpert2 will control it via voltage, this is really imporant PWM fans have a range of operation design, in most cases, only reachable in PWM not in voltage control, this means a fan like Scythe Slipstream will not be able to drop as low testing on CHASSIS_FAN headers, as it was on this review. Also some people have said that the PWM fans are smoother being worked with pwm signal, the motor is quieter and the fan is smother... this i cant confirm as my hearing isnt as good, but worth mentioning since you guys test on the chamber where it might make a difference.

I'm going to show a couple of tests i did couple of days ago on Asus Maximus VI Gene, on Scythe KamaFlex PWM (very similar to slipstream),

So my petition is, if you find it worth it, to test with fanXpert2, PWM fans on CPU_Fan Header and 3pin fans on CHASSIS_FAN headers (or in CPU_FAN header but without Q-Fan Auto so it treats it like voltage controlled).

kater

Post by kater » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:12 pm

Scythe FTW :) Nice to see they still have what it takes to be on top(ish) :) I've had lots of Scythe products, for many years, and was never disappointed with any of them.

BTW, just browsing through some "reviews", too much spare time, I guess. Here's a brainfart from one of them: "The thing i really like about the Glide Stream PWM fan Scythe includes is black sleeved cable with the 3 / 4 pin fan connector. At an average speed of 1200-1400 RPM the fan is rated for 66.5-79 CFM airflow and about 24.5-28 dMA for noise level. Its definitely not the best and quietest fan on the marked but its not bad."
:shock:

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:11 am

Yeah, go Scythe!
Abula wrote:Also some people have said that the PWM fans are smoother being worked with pwm signal, the motor is quieter and the fan is smother... this i cant confirm as my hearing isnt as good, but worth mentioning since you guys test on the chamber where it might make a difference.
I am not sure why this would be the case. Often PWM has annoying side effects at lower frequencies - flickering lights, buzzing ballasts, etc.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:55 am

Cistron wrote:I am not sure why this would be the case
With Noctua PWM fans for example there is, in PWM mode, their Smooth Commutation Drive (SCD) which is claimed to reduce noise. If these fans are tested under voltage control this technology is simply by-passed. According to the one tester who seems to have checked whether SCD worked under PWM control, the answer was yes - particularly at lower speeds. The point is that hardware reviews are there for one purpose, to give a reasonable guide to potential buyers about what to expect. But testing PWM fans only in voltage control mode only answers this to a degree. And sometimes it can be no guide at all as to what can be expected if a fan is used in PWM mode.
Cistron wrote:Often PWM has annoying side effects at lower frequencies - flickering lights, buzzing ballasts, etc.
This has nothing to do with PWM fans on coolers such as the Mugen 4. It is do with devices such as fan controllers which use low frequency PWM to control 3 pin fans.

mkk

Post by mkk » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:00 am

Good news. Especially as the beloved HR-02 Macho seems to have gone the way of the Dodo bird. And the fan that comes with the Mugen 4 is also nicer with a lot lower RPM floor. I feel they could have allowed it to be a little bit taller though with recent years case designs.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:32 am

Getting the base and mounting hardware right seems to be half the battle, and the right combination of fin design matched to a good fan is the other half.

Glad to have Scythe back in the hunt!

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:17 pm

This cooler is an overachiever. Equipped with a single 12 cm fan it manages to almost match the performance of the top dual towers.

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:07 pm

Abula wrote: I just have a small request for future SPCR reviews on fans, i love fanXpert2 and recommend it a lot, and i see why its so useful for reviews also, im even doing a database and testing all the fans i own. But on Asus motherboards, there is a limitation that for me its important to take into account, and its the motherboards only have 1 PWM fan header (CPU_FAN) and the rest are just voltage controlled (CHASSIS_FAN 1,2,3), even if its 4pin its not really a PWM fan header, the bios and fanXpert2 will control it via voltage, this is really imporant PWM fans have a range of operation design, in most cases, only reachable in PWM not in voltage control, this means a fan like Scythe Slipstream will not be able to drop as low testing on CHASSIS_FAN headers, as it was on this review. Also some people have said that the PWM fans are smoother being worked with pwm signal, the motor is quieter and the fan is smother... this i cant confirm as my hearing isnt as good, but worth mentioning since you guys test on the chamber where it might make a difference.
Thanks for your input. We've made the changes you've suggested, and updated this review accordingly. In the future, we'll note if any fan sounds different on PWM vs. voltage control.

jAMBAZZ

Post by jAMBAZZ » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:51 pm

Why is this cpu cooler (and many new recommended coolers) not listed in the recommended list: http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_Heatsinks ? :o)

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:35 pm

jAMBAZZ wrote:
Why is this cpu cooler (and many new recommended coolers) not listed in the recommended list: http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_Heatsinks ? :o)
Sorry, that list hasn't been updated in quite a while... but every HS review actually has a clear ranking list you can use.

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jay_S » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:03 am

My system:
  • Motherboard: Intel DH77EB
    CPU: Core i5-3750K @ stock clocks and voltage
    Case: Antek NSK3480
    Rear exhaust fan: Arctic Cooling F12 PWM 120mm
Following kater's thread "Ninja SNCJ-1000 for socket 1155 with Noctua backplate" I franken-hacked my 1st gen Scythe Ninja on my LGA1155 motherboard. It required some cutting of brackets and a lot of trial and error. Contact pressure seems OK and it's held up for over a year. Still, I am very cautious when moving / handling it, as I'm skeptical it's long-term durability.

I've been using and re-using this Ninja for ages, going back to my first Socket 939 build. I have always used it semi-passively, making ducts or shrouds so that my chassis exhaust fan pulls air through the Ninja. The rear exhaust fan is controlled by the CPU fan header. This has always served me well, and I'd like to stick with this system.

I recently read SPCR's Scythe Mugen 4 review. For US residents, it's now available from Amazon.com (link).

The Mugen 4's fin spacing is much tighter than my Ninja's. So I assume the answer to my next question is "no"... Question: are the Mugen 4 and bundled fan OK candidates for the semi-passive cooling arrangement I use?

My current arrangement works well enough - I don't have temp or noise issues. But I question its durability and wonder if I'd be better served with a new cooler that emphasizes high contact pressure and happens to come with an excellent fan.