Which Noctua fan is more quiet: NF-A14PWM or NF-A14 FLX?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Happy Hopping

Which Noctua fan is more quiet: NF-A14PWM or NF-A14 FLX?

Post by Happy Hopping » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:55 am

quest_for_silence

Re: Which Noctua fan is more quiet: NF-A14PWM or NF-A14 FLX?

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:44 am

Happy Hopping wrote:Which 1 would be more quiet?

At which speed?

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:32 am

Both fans have the same design, at the same RPMs they should sound similar, but in some cases motor might very, as 4pin fans are design to be pwm controled, and some dont like to be voltage controlled, like the NF-A14 PWM, in my experience it was unstable on voltage controlled header on an Asus Maximus VI Gene, they stopped after some time.

Now who will be more quiet, my bet is NF-A14 PWM, as it can be dropped lower in RPMs, as long as you are using a true 4pin PWM header. Here is couple of FanXpert2 charts, one from SPCR First 140 mm Fan Roundup: Noctua, Phanteks, Xigmatek in there you will see the FLX version and the second is my personal testing with the PWM version on the GENE on the CPU_FAN header (true 4pin pwm).

Im my own setup, i find the NF-A14 PWM to be very quiet between 225-500rpm, noticeble around 650rpm, and loud above 1000rpms, so be prepared to run them lower than what they are rated.

But at the end i would chose upon how you will be using them, if its on a fan controller or voltage controlled i would simply go with FLX, and if its on true 4pin PWM headers (in most motherboards there is only 1), then i would go with PWM version.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:04 pm

Abula wrote:...and if its on true 4pin PWM headers (in most motherboards there is only 1), then i would go with PWM version.
The best way to deploy 2 or more PWM fans is to chain them off the CPU fan PWM header using a splitter cable. These cables work by taking the PWM control signal from the CPU fan header and distributing it to all the fans on the chain. Power for the whole chain is taken separately from a PSU SATA or molex outlet. I have used and recommend the Akasa Flexa range which is now available in the USA from sources such as FrozenCPU. The Akasa Flexa FP3 is an example.

Happy Hopping

Post by Happy Hopping » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:35 am

I have heard from more than 1 source that for those who have PWM connects to the motherboard, that somehow, it stop working after awhile.

My upcoming PC does have a manual fan controller. So I'll lean towards the FLX.