Build a very low consumption computer

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

CA_Steve

Re: Build a very low consumption computer

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:45 pm

PSU efficiency is probably down in the 75-80% range at that load...depending on which version of the supply you have. That's 9 - 12W. Best PSUs out there have losses in the 6W range at this load.

falagar

Post by falagar » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:57 am

Hello,

@ faugusztin : you"re right, my HDD are power-consuming (between 6 and 8W each, depending on their activity). It means ~ 20W only for storage. I plan to migrate on 2 Tb low-power hard disk drives in the future (probably next year) : i was looking at WD Green series.

Currently, my power supply is not perfect, but not bad. My old configuration was consuming 60W at idle, so I already had a gain of consumption !

The mainboard : the choice of an FM1 socket was done because of its compatibility with my PERC RAID card (I will be probably add this to the config in the future, for ESXi support).

About the global consumption : I'm not a quest for each watt gained. If I can get a lower consumption with undervolting, I will try to. But I won't be looking for an expensive power supply if I can hope only 2 or 3 watts gained. Currently, 1 watt consumed means ~ 1 € each year.

I'll have to work on undervolting now. But since this is a Linux server, I don't know how to start... ;-)

falagar

Post by falagar » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:28 am

Hi, I'm back after a few weeks of running this new configuration.

Linux, 3 hard drives (WD Red series) in RAID5, running 24/24 : average consumption of 38W with my Antec 380.

I managed to borrow a Seasonic power supply and I got no difference at all at the meter !

Next step is to try to undervolt : I won't try to get a new power supply : too expensive for nearly no hope of consumption gain.

rotor

Post by rotor » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:29 am

Here are the figures for my file server:

HP Proliant MicroServer N54L
Dual-Core 2.2GHz AMD Athlon II NEO N54L
4GB RAM (2 x 2GB)
Windows Server 2012 Datecenter - AD, DNS, DHCP
64GB SSD Crucial, 2 x 3TB WD Red
Idle: 37.6W

So I think you are already pretty close to the lowest you will reach.