Noctua NF-A14 FLX Upside Down?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Oubadah

Noctua NF-A14 FLX Upside Down?

Post by Oubadah » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:37 pm

Is anyone running the NF-A14 upside dow (blowing upwards)? Is does it make any extra noise? I want to make 180mm to 140mm adapters and use three of them in an FT02, but I'm concerned about the orientation as I've noticed that some fans get noisy and/or make rasping sounds when spinning up or down when run upside down like this.

Abula

Re: Noctua NF-A14 FLX Upside Down?

Post by Abula » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:23 pm

I have NF-A14 PWM on the bottom as an intake for the my R4, and i can tell you no wierd sounds that i can tell from it on the horizontal blowing up, but blowing down i did hear a roar at all rpms, the higher the worst it got, but blowing up i didnt see any issues.

Now the FT02 is a marvelous case, probably the best air cooling case in the market, even today still hold its own, beating the new FT04 and a lot of the newer cases. Personally i would give a try to the AP182, given that this are 2k rpm fans, according to Silverstone they can be dropped to 500rpm, this are not sleeve bearing but ball bearing fans, so they might be better.... hard to say until trying them.