Lian Li PC-Q33

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Delirious

Lian Li PC-Q33

Post by Delirious » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:53 am

Hi everyone.

I have previously put together a desktop last year with you guys input. Before building it I had no idea about quiet desktops and what kind of build I wanted, however silentpcreview pushed me in the right direction.

My pc config is as followed:

Bitfenix prodigy
asus h77-i
i5 3450 with Samurai ZZ cooler
Glide stream 120mm 800rpm case fans
8 gb low profile ram
Seasonic g-360
HIS passive 7750 gpu (switched from gtx 660)
3tb wd red hdd

Anyway, I noticed that Lian Li is coming out with a new case the PC-Q33.
It seems very nice looking and also easy to work with, but what do you guys think about putting the above hardware inside this case.
Seeing that it only has place for 1 120mm exhaust fan and the 7750 being a passive card, I am not sure if it is suitable.
After I changed gpu from gtx 660 to hd7750 the motherboard indicates a temperature of 42 degrees celcius (atm) and the cpu 36 degrees (fans running at 450 rpm and 650 rpm respectively).
With the gtx 660 the motherboard was around the same temperature as the cpu.

The reason I am thinking about changing to a new case is because the prodigy look doesn't really appeal to me too much and it is also quite large.

What do you guys think? Are there any other cases that you would recommend instead that can fit the above hardware.

Its a shame there isn't any itx cases built for quiet computing.

I appreciate any input.

boost

Re: Lian Li PC-Q33

Post by boost » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:19 am

Delirious wrote: Anyway, I noticed that Lian Li is coming out with a new case the PC-Q33.
The Lian Li Q33 reminds me of the Jonsbo U2 aka Cooltek U3 both being mini ITX cases with room for a dual slot graphics card and a standard ATX PSU.
the Jonsbo is 20% smaller than the Lain Li, but if you want to add any hard drive or SSD it will be too small with the big graphic card cooler. It does have a perforated bottom panel just below that cooler that could help with the GPU temps. But the hard drive mount in the front doesn't look like it would absorb any noise, on the contrary it might amplify it.
The Lian Li's hard drive cage looks roomier, but not much better for noise.
Delirious wrote: What do you guys think? Are there any other cases that you would recommend instead that can fit the above hardware.

Its a shame there isn't any itx cases built for quiet computing.
The Fractal Design Node 304 seems better than most other ITX cases for noise.

There are ITX cases for quiet computing, especially heatpipe cases from Streacom and others, but once you add a dual slot graphics card and a standard ATX PSU there are far fewer choices.

Delirious

Post by Delirious » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:20 am

Thank you for your reply.

The Jonsbo/cooltek u2 seems really interesting actually. Lightweight nice-looking aluminium and only 15 liters.

To me it seems like they have fitted a sapphire 7750 passive (in the website gallery) and also mounted a 3.5" hdd and a 2.5" ssd on bottom. I cannot find a direct link. I have a HiS Isilence and it is not any wider than a normal 2 slot card.

Do you think that is a better location for the drive? I have set my hdd to power down after 5 minutes of inactivity so it doesn't run to often.

It is not available in my country though so I will have to order it from Germany if I want it.

Also I actually measured my gtx 660 and it is exactly 22 cm long so it might fit in the u2.

boost

Post by boost » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:57 am

Delirious wrote:Do you think that is a better location for the drive? I have set my hdd to power down after 5 minutes of inactivity so it doesn't run to often.
I don't have the case and I don't have your system.
Putting the hard drive in the front position was based on the fact that the bottom position (partially) blocks the air intake which can lead to highr graphic card temps more so for a passive card. How high and do you have to worry about it? See the above statement. You'd have to try for yourself.
Either graphics card should fit, the His is 206mm and if your 660 is 220mm it should be ok.

Delirious

Post by Delirious » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:05 am

Thanks for your feedback. I definitely see the problem now.

Putting the system in there seems a little risky with regards to heat and noise.

I will have a look at the node 304. One option would be to ditch the video card and go with a streamcom case and put the hdd in a nas. But that would be a much larger investment in total.

max789

Post by max789 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:32 pm

Hi

The PC-Q33 seems to rely on a single rear exhaust fan and uses negative pressure for cooling.

Is it likely that dust will be a real problem with this case, being sucked in through perforations on both sides?

Would anyone care to comment?

PS I hope SPCR will get a chance to review the case.

samuraiweasel

Post by samuraiweasel » Fri May 16, 2014 6:12 pm

Hi guys, ive got this case recently and it does have some issues.
1. Hdd cooling is horrible.
2. you kinda need a rear exhaust GPU.
3. cables are a pain.

im still trying our moving fan orientation as well as power supply and blocking one of the side panels to see if it helps so im not sure what the best way is so far. Still using stock intel cooler (q6600 + palit gtx660 + coolermaster 450w gold + samsung 840 EVO + WD 750gb 3.5")

temps after a couple of hours of playing games then letting it sit for half an hour on.

EDIT:after switching rear fan to exhaust and power supply to intake from the bottom of the case