Velociraptor as TEMP drive

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Yorick

Velociraptor as TEMP drive

Post by Yorick » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:20 pm

Hi, I would like to ask for some advice on optional purchase of 150GB Velociraptor WD1600HLFS - I can get it for equivalent of ~40 USD. Basically I would use it as a drive for TEMP folders and maybe game files - for now I use 1-platter 320GB Samsung F4 for that purpose. SSD is used for system and applications, and all routine traffic generators are optimized to save life of flash memory (SWAP file turned off etc.). If I would get one I would keep Games on HDD and main purpose for VR would be cache as this is where low access time would be most beneficial. Does it make sense? Or better to grab some cheap SSD for that purpose - but that would be either totally low end or used one....

edh

Re: Velociraptor as TEMP drive

Post by edh » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:54 am

From a noise perspective you will want to be careful. That Velociraptor will not be as quiet as your existing hard disk. If noise matters, go for SSD and it will also be faster in the real world. It might sound silly but deleting some stuff is often the best option. :lol:

mkk

Post by mkk » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:46 pm

You might even consider setting up a 2-4GB RAM disk for TEMP, unless you often need to have more space than that for it.

Yorick

Post by Yorick » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:05 pm

Thank you - I think I pass on that - to risky on quiet front. I've dreamed of these drive years ago but now... I'll look for small used ssd for that. Probably not sandforce :)

migel_prado

Post by migel_prado » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:44 am

Yorick wrote:Thank you - I think I pass on that - to risky on quiet front. I've dreamed of these drive years ago but now... I'll look for small used ssd for that. Probably not sandforce :)
Curious. Why don't u prefer SF? These stand for being reliable and showcase very fast performance (FYI, I own Intel ) May I know what caused you to say so?

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:21 am

SF22XY controllers came to the reputation of dying prematurely. Especially some bad OCZ QS managment with surprisingly much customers complaining got the Sf ones a bad press.

INTEL SF SSD should be in another league regarding stability and failure rate.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:13 am

For $40 I'd buy more memory if my OS supports it and just turn off the swap file.