Quietest dual slot GTX770?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Jasp3r

Quietest dual slot GTX770?

Post by Jasp3r » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:33 am

Hey guys,

I'm going for a miniITX build, and my current HD6950s with Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus 2 won't fit, my next card will be the 770 and I wonder which aftermarket version has the quietest cooler.
I know the card will get pretty loud on (full) load but I'm mainly concerned about idle noise.

I've heard that a lot of Asus DC2 cards have coil whine, the MSI gets a lot of good reviews, the EVGA card looks amazing and the Zotac version is pretty quiet on some youtube videos.

I wonder if you guys have any experience with this card and its coolers.

Thanks in advance,
Jasp3r

Abula

Re: Quietest dual slot GTX770?

Post by Abula » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:17 pm

I would go with MSI, the review on techpowerup place it as one of the quietest, MSI GTX 770 TwinFrozr Gaming 2 GB
MSI did a fantastic job with the noise levels of their GTX 770 Gaming. In idle, the card is almost inaudible on an open bench in a quiet room with no other fans. It will certainly be inaudible in a modern case with other fans present.

During gaming, the fan ramps up just a little bit to handle the increased thermal load, but it doesn't get noisy at all. Especially the gaming-noise levels are impressive--much better than any other custom design GTX 770 we've reviewed so far.

Image Image

fuugu

Post by fuugu » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:13 pm

I'm looking at shorter, quiet cards myself and came across this: MSI GTX 760 itx

I know it's not a 770 but it's only six inches and the cooler looks really high quality.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:15 am

fuugu wrote:I'm looking at shorter, quiet cards myself and came across this: MSI GTX 760 itx

I know it's not a 770 but it's only six inches and the cooler looks really high quality.
Haven't seen any reviews, yet. I will say the Asus version is substantially inferior to the 2-fanned variety. So, I expect the MSI will also fail to provide quiet cooling. It's hard to quietly cool 170W with one fan.

Libertin

Post by Libertin » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:31 pm

Can the GTX770 TWIN FROZR made inaudible in idle? My system is inaudible in idle, with fans not running over 600rpm and an inaudible hdd in a hdd case.
Their review does not tell if MSI afterburner has been used.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:45 pm

Hey - slowly working your way forward in gfx card time :)

Inaudible at idle? Too close to tell. Techpowerup said:
MSI did a fantastic job with the noise levels of their GTX 770 Gaming. In idle, the card is almost inaudible on an open bench in a quiet room with no other fans. It will certainly be inaudible in a modern case with other fans present.

During gaming, the fan ramps up just a little bit to handle the increased thermal load, but it doesn't get noisy at all. Especially the gaming-noise levels are impressive--much better than any other custom design GTX 770 we've reviewed so far.
I have the MSI GTX 1060 Gaming with Twin Frozr (signature build). The min fan rpm for this card is ~1000rpm and while very quiet, it's still audible in idle in my very quiet system.

Libertin

Post by Libertin » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:48 pm

The 6970 was no good, too loud and too hungry.

Do you think they optimized the fan settings with MSI afterburner?
Or is there room for eliminating the noise?
What options are left? Undervolting, reducing the standard clock frequency?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:10 pm

Don't think you can get the stock fans to go slower. I think the easiest solution would be to remove the stock shroud and fans and replace the fans with two 120mm ones that you can run slower.

Hopefully vishcompany will contribute to this thread - he modded a MSI GTX 760. Same stuff should apply to the GTX 770.

Questions for him: is MSI using PWM fans? What 120mm fans did you use?

Libertin

Post by Libertin » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:18 pm

Ok. Then I wait for his appearance. The question also remains how I connect two PWM fans to the connector of the graphics card and what adapter I need.

On my 5870 I used a S1 plus of Accelero with a 120mm PWM fan but it was connected to my 4pin chassis fan connector and therefore I wasn't able to keep the card cool during the games but it never crashed although the fan was running mostly with 600rpm only. Scythe DFS122512L-PWM

vishcompany

Post by vishcompany » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:12 am

I did mod a GTX760, but it was Asus. The thread about modding is here (no pics any more), you can actually skip it, long story short: The MK-26 is great, but PWM did not work with different fans, so I hooked up the fans to the mobo and drove them through SpeenFan (which could read the GPU temp). Nvidia seems to have done some weird things about PWM in the 700 series, Abula reported also some struggle with his 780 in this thread, IIRC.
Chances are, you could do his, but you might face some strange behaviour of the fans. the MK-26 Comes with an adaptor for two fans, but the card's PWM control might be weird. You can alsways hook them up to the mobo, as Long as SpeedFan recognizes your chips.

I meanwhile moved on to the MSI GTX1070, which is good enough for me to not have modded it (yet) with the MK-26. Here are a few pics of the modded 760 next to the 1070

Libertin

Post by Libertin » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:51 am

Hi, thank you for your reply. I am looking for the best price/performance ratio on condition of inaudbility and a MK-26 cannot be part of this due to its high costs.
Does the Accelero S1 Plus fit on a GTX 670?
The more recent series of graphics card do shut off their fans in idle. Which series are these?
I rather not buy a GTX 670 for 50€ and a MK-26 for 40€ becaue I could add that extra 30€ to buy one of these used ones from the newer series and have inaudibilty and more speed.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:01 am

Re: GTX 770
CA_Steve wrote:Don't think you can get the stock fans to go slower. I think the easiest solution would be to remove the stock shroud and fans and replace the fans with two 120mm ones that you can run slower.
You don't need to replace an MSI Gaming's cooler. It works just fine. Just replace the fans with slower ones.

I wouldn't buy a GTX 670.

The GTX 9xx series have passive fan capability. Some models have it enabled some don't - do a review search for the specific make/model you are interested in.

Libertin

Post by Libertin » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:04 pm

It is probably really better to replace only the fans on the new card. A S1 plus does not seem any better than those of most aftermarket manufacturer (as standard is four heatpipes already).
On my ASRock Z68 Pro3 Speed Fan was not able to control the PWM fan on the PWM chassis connector, which was mounted on my S1 Plus for my 5870.
Vishcompany said, that a different fan from the original one which is mounted on the card might not work properly, if it is connected with a PWM-adapter on the graphics card directly.

What do you recommend me to make sure that my 2*xxx mm fans increase their rpm under load in 3D?
Programs like speed fan have to rely on their compatibility to "chips". The chips of the graphics card or the chips of the mainboard?
You can alsways hook them up to the mobo, as Long as SpeedFan recognizes your chips.
It might be easier if the graphics card, any upwards from GTX or R7 on, work with any fans I replace and connect with a 2x4pin to 4pin and then to a 4 Pin PWM Adaptor Cable, which is plugged in the mini-PWM connector of the graphics card.

http://www.ebay.at/itm/161996680779?_tr ... EBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.at/itm/Gelid-Solutions- ... Sw-jhUDhrB

vishcompany

Post by vishcompany » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:19 am

Libertin wrote:On my ASRock Z68 Pro3 Speed Fan was not able to control the PWM fan on the PWM chassis connector, which was mounted on my S1 Plus for my 5870.
Vishcompany said, that a different fan from the original one which is mounted on the card might not work properly, if it is connected with a PWM-adapter on the graphics card directly.

What do you recommend me to make sure that my 2*xxx mm fans increase their rpm under load in 3D?
Programs like speed fan have to rely on their compatibility to "chips". The chips of the graphics card or the chips of the mainboard?
You can alsways hook them up to the mobo, as Long as SpeedFan recognizes your chips.
I was a bit sloppy in my expression. With chips I meant the temperature sensors. So if you want to control the RPM of the fans which cool your GPU, SpeedFan will need to be able to read the temp signal of your graphics card. It also will have to be compatible with your mobo to be able to control any fan. So you might want to check out the compatibility of SpeedFan with both your GPU and mobo. It works pretty well with a broad range of older hardware (but you still better double-check), it also is a bit complicated to set it up, if you do it for the first time.

Of course it would all be easier, if you could just plug your fans into an adaptor and then hook that up to your GPU's fan header. With my card this did not work, it might work with yours, we just don't know. That's why I pointed out the alternative route I had to take.