Need help with windows process

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Abula

Need help with windows process

Post by Abula » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:48 am

I just finished putting up a new setup for my download station, moving from an sandy bridge i3 2100T to a haswell G3200, and to my surprise the consumption was higher than i expected 10.1W from the old buld to 22W of the new build.... so i decided to check what clocks were the CPU at, and the CPU stayed at 3ghz full time... so i though there must something wrong that its not allowing the CPU to downclock to 800mhz that all haswell cpu goes to. Upon checking the resource monitor if found a process that is causing the problem (Deffered Procedure Calls and Interrupts Service Routines), but not sure what to do or how to fix it. I leave a screenshot of what my destkop and the downsload station on windows resource monitor and coretemp,

I did a clean install using windows 7 sp1, i have installed all windows updates, all drivers are up to date to what MSI have in the webpage for the motherboard, and on the bios i have disable (as i had on the i3 2100T setup) the serial, audio and usb3 (renesas), no issues on the device manage, all hardware is recognized correctly.

I really don't know what else to do, its not like a process that i can stop, its present in all setup i have checked, just it doesn't consume much, but in this new setup it consume a lot more and doesnt allow the CPU to go into idle.

Thanks for any suggestions.

quest_for_silence

Re: Need help with windows process

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:15 am

Have you tried a clean boot?

boost

Post by boost » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:03 am

That process is not the root cause of the issue,it handles driver requests in kernel mode. Most likely one of the drivers is the issue.
How to get the cause of high CPU usage by DPC / Interrupt

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:19 am

Here's another tool that has less work involved.
http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:21 am

Thanks for the replies,

@quest_for_silence, i havent tested safe boot yet.

@boost and ca_steve, i took a screenshot of the software on your links, the first dont display any issues from what i can tell, the second is a more detail resource monitor but from what i can tell its fairly similar and same info didnt catch anything out of the ordinary,

The third Latencymon, does display some issues with drivers, at first i though USB, but i let it ran 30mins more and kernel appear,

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:09 am

I did a quick search and found some sources. One case had usbport.sys causing 30% CPU activity. This one was solved through a BIOS update. Might be time to contact MSI support.

Realtek drivers are known to cause spikes too, but your data points at usbport.sys.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:36 am

Abula wrote:@quest_for_silence, i havent tested safe boot yet.

Well, a safe boot should be even more restrictive than the clean one: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

Anyway, as already pointed out, there could be some driver which doesn't deal well with the mobo: so that, selectively disabling the onboard devices (and the relevant drivers), you might be able to identify the culprit.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:17 pm

Thanks again for all the advise and suggestion, appreciate the time,
@quest_for_silence, i havent tested safe boot yet.
I tried booting in safemode, and yes 0% load on each core, but doesn't downclock, probably windows power management isn't loaded on safe mode and the CPU runs at 3ghz still (but with 0% load), still the voltages are the same 24W, so this leads me to believe its a driver that its causing this issues.
quest_for_silence wrote:Anyway, as already pointed out, there could be some driver which doesn't deal well with the mobo: so that, selectively disabling the onboard devices (and the relevant drivers), you might be able to identify the culprit.
This is what im now doing =)
Pappnaas wrote:Realtek drivers are known to cause spikes too
I disabled both realtek onboard audio and lan, and same results.
Pappnaas wrote:I did a quick search and found some sources. One case had usbport.sys causing 30% CPU activity. This one was solved through a BIOS update. Might be time to contact MSI support.

but your data points at usbport.sys.
I disable the USB 2.0 devices on bios, and bam we gotta a winner.... 0% load on each core (well it spikes like normal pcs to 2-3%), but when i disable the USB 2.0 all is like my desktop, cant screenshot as i booted with the keyboard on a single ps2, but its normal, i can see from coretemp that the cores dont have any load, just like my desktop. The votalges back it up, the voltages have come down from 24W at idle to 12.5W, kinda what i expected if the CPU was downclocking as it shoulda have on the begging.

SO now i have some testing to do to see if i can make it work.

1) Try newer USB2 drivers, to what i remember this come in the intel chipset, so im going to try to install newer or older drivers to see if this fixes it.

2) Im going to falsh the bios there is 10.1 version (mine is 10), thats suppose to be mostly CPU recognition and memory compatibility, but since pappnaas mention a bios update might fix it, ill give a shot.

3) My Lian Li Q08 is old, from the first time that frontal usb3 headers were cables that you routed to the back of the case, so i have an adapter on my way to connect the USB3 header to a couple of USB3 female headers so i can use the internal cables and test if the C2 stepping USB3 (intel) dont have any of this issues, the board dont have any intel USB3 on the back that are intel.

4) Test the renesas USB3 on the back, i have very good experience with my sandy bridge build, never i had an issue for 2 years, so i might just enable those and see how it works also.

5) Contact MSI maybe they could release a bios with a fix for it.

If you have any other suggestions let me know, im just glad with your help, we found the problem, still trying to work it out.

HFat

Post by HFat » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:18 am

I guess it could also be graphics drivers... or any number of things.
Settings or software changes might even get rid of the symptoms without curing the problem.

But first: do you actually experience problems like excessive power consumption or are you trying to solve a non-issue? Sure, something's wrong. But it might so bad as to be worth looking into it.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:24 am

HFat wrote:But first: do you actually experience problems like excessive power consumption or are you trying to solve a non-issue? Sure, something's wrong. But it might so bad as to be worth looking into it.
Well my old setup idles at 10.1W and downloading is like 14W, this one withe the problem idles at 24W and downloading around 27W, so for me if i couldnt fix the issue there was no point on moving to haswell, it has to have the same or lower consumption else, its better to stay with the old one.

HFat

Post by HFat » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:38 pm

I'm surprised the power consumption impact is so high. That's what I get for not reading everything before answering. Sorry.
It seems I couldn't even be bothered to type a sentence without skipping words. :-)

yakuman

Post by yakuman » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:39 am

This week's Windows updates on 7 SP1 includes one update relating to USB drivers - might be worth checking: KB2862330. Funnily, Googling it reveals a number of reported problems reported last year. Perhaps this latest revision can help.