New build louder than my old HP Pavilion...

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tand

New build louder than my old HP Pavilion...

Post by tand » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:15 am

Hi,

Could you guys help me out.

My old HP Pavilion P6250nl was real quiet. PC could be used in my room. No problem.
Recently I got a new PC build and the new build is much much louder. Even when doing nothing I can easily hear it. Even from 3 meters away. I can get used to the noice...but I want to quiet it down.

New build:

4570i with stockcooler
Mobo Asrock fatality H87
Coolermaster v550s PSU
MSI R270 gaming
1x 120gb SSD
1x Samsung 1.5Tb hdd
1x Toshiba 1.0 HDD
Case Corsair 200r with 2 standard 120mm fans and 1 140mm fan at the bottom. I use the bottom fan and the front fan to blow in and the back fan to blow out. I also have option to install 2 more fans.But this cause the sound to be much louder. Was hoping...more fans. Less movement from fans.

I can hear the fans real well esspecially the front 120 mm and the 140mm less.Not only the sound of air movement but also of it turning. While with teh old HP pc it ran silent esspecially when downloading.

Is the case the problem?
Is there a way to lower the speed of the fans?

I tried using speedfan. But not really understanding it. I configured using the spcr guide. The sound lowers well. But its weird. The backfan turns of when i set it to manual.doesn't turn on again. Also it sees the other fans...but doesnt detect the speed they are turning and cant really control them at all.
Does my motherboard work using speedfan?
I noticed that the front 120 and 140mm were not able to lower the speeds by much at all. I noticed both were 4 pins. The 120mm is connected with a 4 pins connector on the mother board and the 140mm is connected with a 3 pins on the mobo.

Anyway hopesome can help me out.

quest_for_silence

Re: New build louder than my old HP Pavilion...

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:21 pm

Where are you from?

boost

Post by boost » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:31 pm

tand

Post by tand » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:31 am

From the netherlands.
The problems so far...the front 120 fan and the 140mm fan. both are blowing in. 120 at 1400rpm.
The 140 is not noticed.
The rear 120 fan is quiet and blows at 800

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:14 am

I am sorry, but your english is quite difficult to me to understand.

Well, as far as I know the 200R has no 140mm fans, just two 120mm fans, so I don't understand where that 140mm came from: can you explain me more about this?

Besides, if I understood correctly, you have connected two fans (the 140mm and a 120mm one) to two motherboard headers, and one 120mm directly to the PSU through a 4-pin molex, even if you should have 4 or 5 controllable headers (on a total of 6) on that mobo: am I right?

Can you take a screenshot of the H/W Monitor page of your mobo UEFI, to let us know your current BIOS settings?

boost

Post by boost » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:32 am

tand wrote:From the netherlands.
The problems so far...the front 120 fan and the 140mm fan. both are blowing in. 120 at 1400rpm.
The 140 is not noticed.
The rear 120 fan is quiet and blows at 800
Did you plug in the fans to the mainboard fan headers?
If not do so. You can go into the BIOS (UEFI, really) and reduce their speed. Go to Bios (F1, DEL, ?,... on boot) -> OC Tweaker-> Chassis 1-3 fan speed.
If the fan speed is still too high you can buy a Zalman ZM-MC1 to run them at 5V or 1 or 2 Zalman Fan Mate 2 to reduce their speed.
If the fan noise is increased by their mounting you can by soft mount rubber bolts like these or these.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:35 am

we need to know the idle temps and at full load temps of this system.

cpu/
mobo/
gpu/
ambient room/
Does my mobo work with speedfan?
http://www.almico.com/forummotherboards.php

tand

Post by tand » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:02 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:I am sorry, but your english is quite difficult to me to understand.

Well, as far as I know the 200R has no 140mm fans, just two 120mm fans, so I don't understand where that 140mm came from: can you explain me more about this?

Besides, if I understood correctly, you have connected two fans (the 140mm and a 120mm one) to two motherboard headers, and one 120mm directly to the PSU through a 4-pin molex, even if you should have 4 or 5 controllable headers (on a total of 6) on that mobo: am I right?
I have 2 120 mm standard fans and placed extra 140mm fan in the bottom hole. All are connected to the motherboard directly.

Can you take a screenshot of the H/W Monitor page of your mobo UEFI, to let us know your current BIOS settings?
Well I had the UEfi on standardspeed with fans. Now I change it to silent running for the chassis fans.
That has helped.Thanks. Been trying to adjust fanspeed with speedfan and fan-tastic utility of asrock. Turnsout need to do it via bios. Turns a lot quieter.

I can still hear it...will try if acceptable when i sleep. It is noticeble lower sound.

Btw the temps has risen/ Now cpu and gpu is at 35/37 degrees. Mobo is at 30 degrees/Normal load. Quite bit hotter than when it was standard speed.
Not sure how to turn on full load.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:26 pm

prime 95 will stress CPU.
anything under mid to high 60's is fine.
if you have separate GPU card, furmark will stress test that.
anything under mid to upper 80's is fine.
keep in mind, under normal realworld use you will never have to deal with as much heat as with those stress tests, so in actuality you could even go higher than that.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:51 am

tand wrote:I can still hear it...will try if acceptable when i sleep. It is noticeble lower sound.

You may use the manual settings on UEFI, level 1 or 2.

tand wrote:Not sure how to turn on full load.

The "silent" setting should be able to do it for you: but IIRC, when you set manually the fan level in the H/W Monitor UEFI tab, then you have to use SpeedFan (or similar sw) to let the fan spin faster on load.

twilysparklez

Post by twilysparklez » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:15 pm

Is there a possibility that you change out the loud fans for bette quality fans?

Also, fan speed controllers, really useful.

Cheers