Silly ways (that work) to dampen a case

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

JaRoD

Silly ways (that work) to dampen a case

Post by JaRoD » Fri May 16, 2014 2:24 am

I've figured out a few ways to dampen a case that are a bit silly but work pretty well. You will need towel, string, pillow...

Remove side of case and tie string at the back top of case and other end in the front top of the case. Fold towel so it's slightly smaller than panel you removed and hang the towel on the string. Towels are made of fairly dense cloth that absorbs sound pretty well and atleast for me the sound decrease was pretty noticable. And if you ever spill something on your computer you'll have a quick access to a towel :wink:

The pillow you'll need should be pretty flat and dense to work best and computer should have it's back towards a wall. Just put the pillow between computer and wall and leave enough room for air to move. For better effect I happen to have my computer at the side of a table so I can put my pillow in an L shape. One side towards the wall and the other up against the table leg so now sound from the back can only go up or to one side. And you'll have quick access to a pillow if you need to sleep at the computer :roll:

HellDiverUK

Re: Silly ways (that work) to dampen a case

Post by HellDiverUK » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:45 am

To stop resonance vibrations, add mass to the case by setting a cheap marble chopping board to the top of the case. :)