Post by SileX » Fri May 23, 2014 2:18 pm

5.0TB OWC Mercury Elite Pro 7200RPM
Mechanism: Toshiba MD04ACA500 Hard Disk Drive

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/ME3QH7T5.0

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Re: Toshiba 5TB drives

Post by andyb » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:35 am

I wouldn't touch a Toshiba HDD unless it was free. Toshiba SSD's are pretty good, HDD's have awful reliability, I would suggest waiting for WD to bring out its 5TB WD Red, thats what I am doing.

Andy

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:34 am

andyb wrote:I wouldn't touch a Toshiba HDD unless it was free. Toshiba SSD's are pretty good, HDD's have awful reliability, I would suggest waiting for WD to bring out its 5TB WD Red, thats what I am doing.
From Wikki of hitachi,
On March 8, 2012, Western Digital (WD) acquired Hitachi Global Storage Technologies for $3.9 billion in cash and 25 million shares of WD common stock valued at approximately $0.9 billion. The deal resulted in Hitachi, Ltd. owning approximately 10 percent of WD shares outstanding, and reserving the right to designate two individuals to the board of directors of WD. It was agreed that WD would operate with WD Technologies and HGST as wholly owned subsidiaries and they would compete in the marketplace with separate brands and product lines.[4][5][6]

To address the requirements of regulatory agencies, in May 2012 WD divested to Toshiba assets that enabled Toshiba to manufacture and sell 3.5-inch hard drives for the desktop and consumer electronics markets
From Anantech Western Digital To Sell Hitachi's 3.5” Hard Drive Business To Toshiba, Complete Hitachi Buyout
Western Digital will be allowed to acquire Hitachi’s 2.5” and SSD businesses, but not the 3.5” business. Instead Western Digital will be selling that business to Toshiba – factories and all – along with granting licenses for the necessary patents, which would allow Toshiba to effectively continue in the 3.5” market from where Hitachi left off.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:25 am

I doubt that WD sold their best facilities to Toshiba including their latest machinery, to do so would be foolish of WD.

Additionally Toshiba will very likely find a way to cock-up what they have and start producing rubbish products as they do with their 2.5" products (not including SSD's).

Lastly no Toshiba 3.5" HDD's for sale in the UK have 3-year or longer warranties, I will simply not buy a large capacity (expensive) HDD that has a 1 or 2 year warranty regardless of who makes it, so I will continue to wait for the 5TB WD Red drives to be released and then buy 4x 4TB Red drives as the price will take a plunge.

Andy

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:46 am

andyb wrote:I doubt that WD sold their best facilities to Toshiba including their latest machinery, to do so would be foolish of WD.

Just for some more information about (last updated on 05/22/2014): http://rml527.blogspot.it/2010/12/hdd-p ... ba-35.html (look for DT01ACA300)

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:21 am

That is interesting, thanks for sharing the link.

I will concede that I have a heavy bias against Toshiba HDD's because of their total shittyness for more than a decade of personal experience, however up until now they have all been 2.5" drives and as it appears the 3.5" drives are potentially identical to Hitachi drives - at least the model that you pointed out appears so.

As such I will hold my tongue a little more and instead simply point out that the WD Red range has a very good reliability record and the drives come with a 3-year warranty and have a negligible price premium (in the UK), so they will stay as my preferred drive for primary storage (obviously not an ideal boot drive, an SSD would win hands down).

Andy