Horizontal server cases: is the backplane attached?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

loninappleton

Horizontal server cases: is the backplane attached?

Post by loninappleton » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:45 am

This is a question for those who have seen a lot of computer cases for the desktop.

I have an old Enlight model where the backplaen is attached to the "ground plane" or bottom where the motherboard is screwed down.

Are there any ATX models of case these days that have horzital format like the old style desktops and a front panel and backplane all one piece in a U configuration ( with a drop on metal case for the top etc.)?

The less expensive and even cheap the better. I run my rigs open bench-style for easy access to parts switches.

loninappleton

Re: Horizontal server cases: is the backplane attached?

Post by loninappleton » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:50 pm

That is a hum dinger alright. A little too rich for my blood. But it does show the layout and attached backplane. Does it at least have a power and reset switch somewhere that the user can get at it?

The thing that made the ol' Enlight unique (and no longer available) was the hinging arrangement by which the two sides and front were removed.
Some may have found it awkward but if the ground plane and back plane are run bare it's something that's hard to find. I look around for this because I think my simple reset and on off switch could wear out one of these days.

I have one tower case laying on it's side with a home brew 'top' which can be swiveled out of the way to get at the insides. I know this is not the usual style of case full of parts method of computing. It just might be an unanswerable question.

loninappleton

Post by loninappleton » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:28 am

I'll ask this another way:

What is the cheapest case that has a removable _side_ panel that you know of? I at least can deal with this sort of arrangement with one of my swivel top arrangements. Black preferred. (I haven't seen any old white ones out on the curb lately.)

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:25 am

loninappleton wrote:I'll ask this another way

I'm pretty sure to have misunderstood you, but what about something like this?

loninappleton

Post by loninappleton » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:10 am

Yes, on the right track here.

I noticed this one as well:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811353038

But it doesn't indicate anything about removing a side panel.

I appreciate your reply. Maybe if I did a google search and specified removable side I'd pop up with something. Will report back. Simply put, I forget to give the right keywords to find such things. The $20.00 range for a bare case is good. I don't need the fans, I use quiet Scyhe fans and have one of those Big Shurikens (not _that_ big) for the cpu.