Any suggestions for material to set PC on?

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

banjo1

Any suggestions for material to set PC on?

Post by banjo1 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:27 am

Hi,

So I have a new system I have have assembled myself and I have been working to silence .. but I still have a ways to go! I have a Corsair H80i and corsair "silent" fans... but there is still a hum... My guess is that it's the Corsair pump that is the source of the low hum.. I notice that if I merely tilt the PC Mid tower (It's a Fractal Define R4 case) on to two of its feet (instead of sitting on all 4) , the hum almost disappears!!! I think the hum is being amplified by my Desk! Does anyone have any suggestions for a pad or material I could place the PC on that would eliminate that amplification? The alternative is to put it on the floor, but I confess I like having it handy and don't relish the idea of crawling under the desk to access it.

Jeff.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Any suggestions for material to set PC on?

Post by xan_user » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:42 am

WELCOME TO SPCR!

I use old scraps of neoprene. (its what wetsuits are made of)

theres also a company called "isolate it!", they make many different types of vibration absorbing feet.

banjo1

Post by banjo1 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:41 pm

Ah! Neoprene! I actually have a wet suit .. but I think I'll hang on to that! :)

I'll try to find a sports store ... I live kitty korner to R.E.I.. maybe they might have some scraps lying around! The Isolating feet idea sounds intriguing! Thanks! I'll make inquiries!

Jeff

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jay_S » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:17 am

Weren't a lot of old mouse pads neoprene? You know, the floppy rubber kind with fabric top, where after a few years the fabric adhesive starts to fail?! But you hang on to it because, you're like, "ah - what's the difference? It's not so bad." And as the years go by, the university logo that was printed on the fabric has worn away, which used to remind you that you're not applying yourself. I have some of those...

You might have some laying around. Even if it's not real neoprene, the ones I have a about 1/4" think and are really soft. Cheap material to cut apart for experimenting.

Reachable
Friend of SPCR

Post by Reachable » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:34 pm

Then there is Sorbothane. An expensive material, but one created for vibration damping.

Andersan

Post by Andersan » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:40 am

The 280mm radiator fits snugly on the front fan mount, but intake/outlet needs to be at the bottom otherwise you'd need to drill new holes for mounting. Yes, the air from the radiator blows into the case. Yes, the intake is tiny. But it still works. The processor idles at around 38 degrees C and the GPU around 31. Max I have seen is 76/40. This is with the 960 running at 4 GHz with only a minor bump in voltage.