New case.. time for new 140mm fans..

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Copyright

New case.. time for new 140mm fans..

Post by Copyright » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:14 pm

Just picked up a Fractal Designs R5 and I wanted to put some high quality fans up front. I prefer Noctua but I am open to others unless the fans that come with the R5 are just as good? I was looking at the Noctua but there are so many models of 140mm I have no idea which one makes the best case fan. I want it to be PWM. I plan to run it about 600ish rpm at idle and would like to see at least one that can do 1200rpm at full speed.THx for any advice!

Copyright

Re: New case.. time for new 140mm fans..

Post by Copyright » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:42 pm

I picked up some Noctua Redux 1500 rpm PWM fans.. I think they will do what I want.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:44 pm

Copyright wrote:Just picked up a Fractal Designs R5 and I wanted to put some high quality fans up front. I prefer Noctua but I am open to others unless the fans that come with the R5 are just as good? I was looking at the Noctua but there are so many models of 140mm I have no idea which one makes the best case fan. I want it to be PWM. I plan to run it about 600ish rpm at idle and would like to see at least one that can do 1200rpm at full speed.THx for any advice!
The most quiet fans that i have tested on 140mm are the Antec True Quiet 140, from your signature i see a Asus Z87, if you can wire each fan to CHA_FAN header you will be able drop them to 200rpms (if you wish) or tune them to your personal liking, but 800rpms is the most those fans reach, still pleanty imo, for me any fan above 1000rpms are noticeable.

Now if you like Noctua, then go with the new Redux series, SPCR didnt like that much the new NF-A14, as they liked the NF-P14, the redux uses the old style of noctuas that were so good, you have some options,

4Pin PWM on Standard Square 140 frame (ideal to use on CPU_FAN header or with a PWM splitter)
Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM
Noctua NF-P14s redux-1200 PWM

3Pin Voltage controlled on Standard Square 140 frame (ideal for Asus FanXpert2 motherboard with fake 4pin CHA_FAN headers)
Noctua NF-P14s redux-1200
Noctua NF-P14s redux-900

4Pin PWM its a 140 round frame with 120mm mounting points (ideal for CPU coolers like Thermalright SilverArrow, HR02, HR22, Noctua NH-D15, NH-D14, NH-C14, etc)
Noctua NF-P14r redux-1500 PWM

Copyright

Post by Copyright » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 pm

Thanks! I guess I did good! I got the 1500rpm PWM redux 140mm fans. Two for up front and one for out back. I plan to cut away the rear grill as I have only found those to create noise. I am hoping It will run cool enough with this setup if not I may go back to stock CPU clock as I want to go as silent as possible this time.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:30 pm

Copyright wrote:Thanks! I guess I did good! I got the 1500rpm PWM redux 140mm fans. Two for up front and one for out back. I plan to cut away the rear grill as I have only found those to create noise. I am hoping It will run cool enough with this setup if not I may go back to stock CPU clock as I want to go as silent as possible this time.
Grab a PWM fan splitter, and connect it to CPU_FAN header,

If you only going to run 4 fans, 2x Front, 1 back and CPU Cooler fan, then i would go with PWM Female to 4 x PWM Male Computer Case Fan Splitter Power Connector Black Sleeved Adapter Cable
If you are planning on running more than 4 fans, then consider Swiftech 8-Way PWM Cable Splitter - SATA Power (8W-PWM-SPL-ST)

Copyright

Post by Copyright » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:59 pm

All fan headers on my motherboard are PWM. I have dual PWM on my CPU fan header already for the heatsink fans.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:02 pm

Copyright wrote:All fan headers on my motherboard are PWM. I have dual PWM on my CPU fan header already for the heatsink fans.
Nope, you might think they are because of the 4pin layout, but they are not, i own an Asus Maximus VI Gene, which is a Z87 based, the only real pwm fan is the CPU_FAN header (and the CPU_OPT which is an image of it, meaning none controllable, this how you should be using your CPU cooler fans), all the others, aka CHA_FAN headers, are voltage controlled headers, or what some call, FAKE 4pin, you can read more if you wish on this thread ASUS Z87-Deluxe fake 4-pin headers & other fan control info. Now if you own a Asus Z97... it supose to be different, but i cant tell you for sure as i haven't personally tested a H97/Z97.

But dont worry to much though, what you might see is instability on fanXpert, what i experience was that FanXpert2 couldn't establish always the minimum rpms reliably, the fans sometimes stopped, but if you bump the curve some it should be fine.

Copyright

Post by Copyright » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:37 pm

Abula wrote:
Copyright wrote:All fan headers on my motherboard are PWM. I have dual PWM on my CPU fan header already for the heatsink fans.
Nope, you might think they are because of the 4pin layout, but they are not, i own an Asus Maximus VI Gene, which is a Z87 based, the only real pwm fan is the CPU_FAN header (and the CPU_OPT which is an image of it, meaning none controllable, this how you should be using your CPU cooler fans), all the others, aka CHA_FAN headers, are voltage controlled headers, or what some call, FAKE 4pin, you can read more if you wish on this thread ASUS Z87-Deluxe fake 4-pin headers & other fan control info. Now if you own a Asus Z97... it supose to be different, but i cant tell you for sure as i haven't personally tested a H97/Z97.

But dont worry to much though, what you might see is instability on fanXpert, what i experience was that FanXpert2 couldn't establish always the minimum rpms reliably, the fans sometimes stopped, but if you bump the curve some it should be fine.
Wow, I have had no problem controlling the PWM fans I have on it now. I had no idea it wasn't true control. Should I have purchased non PWM fans instead? I have two Phanteks 140mm fans that have some wierd PWM adapter and I cant get them under 900rpm no matter what I do. So the two phanteks are on my PWM CPU header and the rest of the fans are on chipset and aux fan headers. So only the CPU header is the true PWM header?

Maybe I should use a fan splitter and put my current CPU fans on one of the FAKE 4 pins since those fans I believe are really a 3pin anyways and then run a splitter like the swiftech to use the CPU fan header to control my 3 Noctua PWM fans? Thanks again for this input!!!

Copyright

Post by Copyright » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:10 am

Are the Redux 140 still ok for case fans? I have read they are more for static pressure and not air flow so I am a little concerned if they will work well enough for me? I was thinking with the R5 being slightly restrictive they would work well being a static pressure fan?

Izanagi

Post by Izanagi » Wed May 20, 2015 2:45 pm

I have recently bought 3 of them as case fans for my fractal R4. i seriously regret my decision.

-they go as low as only 35% (540-560rpm)
-they start reliably at only 38% (600-615rpm)
-their cooling is real bad (for this purpose anyway). my CPU reaches 90C with GIMPS now, whereas before, 3 antec twocools with a fan controller set at their minimum speed (around 350-450 for those 3), only reached the high 70s.
-they have a real noticable hum at 40%. (620-640)

this was done on an MSI gaming 5 MB with speedfan. These traits were common across all 3 my samples. i'm going to send them back tommorow.

sorry for necro'ing an old threat, but i wish i read up more on them.
Last edited by Izanagi on Thu May 21, 2015 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed May 20, 2015 2:59 pm

Izanagi wrote:I have recently bought 3 of them
"Them"? Which fans are you referring to?

Izanagi

Post by Izanagi » Wed May 20, 2015 11:26 pm

i'm sorry, i thought it was clear from the context :)

Noctua NF-P14s redux-1200

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu May 21, 2015 12:03 am

Izanagi wrote:i'm sorry, i thought it was clear from the context :)

This thread is six months old. :wink:

Izanagi wrote:Noctua NF-P14s redux-1200

Thanks. And may you kindly translate the already given duty cycle percentages into rpm figures?

yakuman

Post by yakuman » Tue May 26, 2015 7:45 am

Izanagi wrote:...3 antec twocools with a fan controller set at their minimum speed (around 350-450 for those 3), only reached the high 70s.
How's the audio quality of the TwoCools at their minimum speeds? According to SPCR's review, there's noticeable ticking at lower speeds, but I can't hear it on their MP3 recording unless I crank up my speakers.

mc.god

Post by mc.god » Wed May 27, 2015 1:20 pm

yakuman wrote:
Izanagi wrote:...3 antec twocools with a fan controller set at their minimum speed (around 350-450 for those 3), only reached the high 70s.
How's the audio quality of the TwoCools at their minimum speeds? According to SPCR's review, there's noticeable ticking at lower speeds, but I can't hear it on their MP3 recording unless I crank up my speakers.
Hi, never heared it for real, I just can say that from this video it seems actually clicking a lot
https://youtu.be/aZImJ8jeeN4

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed May 27, 2015 2:59 pm

mc.god wrote:Hi, never heared it for real, I just can say that from this video it seems actually clicking a lot

A microphone is different from a human ear: besides, check their video of the Antec Tru Quiet 140, at the closest difference it "clicks" too, but that's also rather different from what you will perceive in a live scenario (and even in the SPCR mp3 file).

Said that, the Antec TwoCool 140 is a mediocre fan, with reference to noise quality/sound signature.

yakuman

Post by yakuman » Wed May 27, 2015 3:46 pm

mc.god wrote:Hi, never heared it for real, I just can say that from this video it seems actually clicking a lot
I already watched that video. The problem is the reviewer measured 20- cm away and didn't state what voltage the fan was running (presumably the max 12V) . I don't plan to position the fans that near my ears lol. There's no denying it clicks, just wondering how audible 11dBA would be 1m away (SPCR's standard testing). I'm guessing it wouldn't be audible since 11dBA is SPCR's anechoic chamber level.

mc.god

Post by mc.god » Wed May 27, 2015 11:51 pm

yakuman wrote:I already watched that video. The problem is the reviewer measured 20- cm away and didn't state what voltage the fan was running (presumably the max 12V) . I don't plan to position the fans that near my ears lol. There's no denying it clicks, just wondering how audible 11dBA would be 1m away (SPCR's standard testing). I'm guessing it wouldn't be audible since 11dBA is SPCR's anechoic chamber level.
Yes, it should be at 12V. Obviously it's a pretty close measuring and doesn't represent a real case, but they reviewed some other fan models in the same condistions, so it can be useful for comparison, i.e. with proven good sounding fans here recommended, like Prolimatech Blue Vortex https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW20YCwJPV0, Antec True Quiet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jqo39N316s.