Quiet low-wattage PSU for a Desktop Skylake i5/i7 w/o GPU

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

About:blank

Quiet low-wattage PSU for a Desktop Skylake i5/i7 w/o GPU

Post by About:blank » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:03 am

Hi,

I'm currently in the process of building a new system based on the Skylake architecture.
The system will be used for what could be described as office work but will run some calculations and probably one VM in the background (although not constantly), although most of the time it will run under no significant load (and probably spend the night in a sleep mode or turned off).

The general specs are as follows:
  • CPU: Either a Core i5 6600K (more likely) or a Core i7 6700K, OC'ed to around 4.2-4.4 GHz (as far as I can push it without significantly increasing the voltage, preferably not increasing the voltage at all). It will be cooled by a Noctuca NH-U12S (mostly for how quiet Noctua fans tend to run)
  • GPU: None. It will run off of the integrated Intel's Graphics chip
  • One SSD and one or two 3TB HDD(s)
  • Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (without a window; bottom mounted PSU with vents so the fan could face down) with only the 2 supplied 120mm fans front and back).
This system will be used for work and I prefer it to run quiet. I'm willing to pay the premium for it (up to a reasonable point), but I'm struggling in finding a quiet and efficient ATX PSU for this expected low draw. Just for reference, the Seasonic S12II could run a little loud for my liking, although I'm not sure how similarly audible will sound in the Fractal Design R5, which I find is quite (surprisingly) good at isolating fan noises out-of-the-box.

Unfortunately, where I live (outside the US) the availability of PSUs is somewhat limited at the moment. The ones on my short list are:
  • Seasonic G-360/G-450: Would be my first choice, but from what I've learned while researching the G series -- it is not necessarily quiet
  • Corsair RM450: Semi-passive cooling seems like the ideal solution, but the fact the fan spin is triggered by load and not temperature seems less-than-ideal (almost gimmicky). Furthermore, both the Seasonic G series and the RM450 are priced a little too high compared to what they deliver, and in the case of the RM450 this makes me a little more uneasy because it is a decent unit, but not without some design flaws.
  • Seasonic X-400FL 400W: In theory the best candidate, but I'm not a big fan (no pun intended) of passive cooling (I usually prefer a low RPM big fan spinning for the peace of mind) and a little concerned about coil whining
  • SeaSonic 450W 80+ Gold SSP-450RT: I understand this is the OEM version of the X series, but I can't find any reviews. It suppose to come with a low RPM larger (150mm) fan, Gold 80Plus ratings, but only 3-year warranty (being a business machine I like to pay a little more upfront and have longer warranties)
There are also Antec and Coolermaster PSUs available, but I'm not sure about them. Antec EarthWatts might still be a solid series of PSUs, but from my experience with the series they are not exactly quiet. The HighCurrent series I have no idea about, but from a quick research they seem to be on par with the RM450 in terms of design, albeit slightly less efficient, and I don't know how loud they run (which gives a slight edge to the RM450 all else being next to equal). With Coolermaster PSUs I have no past experience.
A modular/semi-modular design (especially with flat cables) could be a nice bonus, but not really a priority.

I'd appreciate any advice about the above or any other suggestions.

Thank you

quest_for_silence

Re: Quiet low-wattage PSU for a Desktop Skylake i5/i7 w/o GP

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:37 am

I recommend to either stating your purchasing location or linking your favourite web shops/online price comparators, in order to help us to advice you meaningfully.

In your short list I'd recommend the RM, noise wise, the G-360 money wise, the 400FL quality wise (while the SSP-450RT is mainly a G-series, not an X-series, similar to the retail S12G-450).

Post by About:blank » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:30 pm

Thank you, Luca.

I'm in Israel, there isn't a very reliable part picker comparison utility (there is, but those who are listed there pay for the privilege, and some of them are not reliable stores to buy from. Therefore, the results are not what I'd call reliable). I can link to the stores I'm looking at, but they are in Hebrew and I don't think this will be very helpful. The next best thing, I think, is to note the prices myself.

Currently you can find most of the usual suspect brands in stock: Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, Enermax, FSP, Coolermaster. Maybe not all models, but if there is a PSU that fits my needs from any of these brands, I will be happy to check if it is available.

BeQuiet, XFX, eVGA, and Super Flower are currently not available. I can order from Amazon in Europe (or even the US) if it will be absolutely necessary, but I prefer to buy locally if there are comparable PSU.

I don't have any strict budget for this, but I hoped not to go above $120.

Currently the prices are as follows:
  • Seasonic G-450 and Corsair RM450 cost the same - $99; the G-360 costs about $89
  • Seasonic X-400FL costs $130 (I don't mind spending $130 on a quiet and reliable PSU, but I'm a little concerned about cooling performance and coil whining, which is just as bad - if not worse - than a fan noise)
  • The rest of the 400W-450W PSUs (Earthwatts, Seasonic OEM for example) cost around $60-$80
A quiet PSU is a priority, but it should also be a solid unit. It should be balanced. I don't need a top tier PSU in terms of components and design, but I need it to be safe and reliable for my use parameters.
while the SSP-450RT is mainly a G-series, not an X-series, similar to the retail S12G-450
Thank you very much for this clarification. I mistakenly thought the S12G series is just the non-modular version of the G series.

The Seasonic S12G-450 is available and costs $83. It comes with 5-year warranty (compared to 3-year with the OEM version) and a 120mm fan (compared to the 150mm in the OEM version). I need to research it, but does the S12G offer a good balance between noise output and solid built quality?

Also, when researching some more to get a better overview of what is available, I noticed the FSP Aurum S 400W is available for $75. From a quick research (there isn't much about it online) it seems to be generally quiet and efficient at low loads (which is near perfect for me). Interesting. However, and I want to qualify this by saying that I know past experience has very little relevance here, I have had less-than-ideal experience with FSP's PSUs in the past. They were noisy (especially after a couple of good months of use) and not terribly reliable in the long-term (after about 2.5-3 years). This makes me a little hesitant about the Aurum S.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:50 am

About:blank wrote:A quiet PSU is a priority, but it should also be a solid unit. It should be balanced.

Corsair RM550x.

About:blank wrote:The Seasonic S12G-450 is available and costs $83. It comes with 5-year warranty (compared to 3-year with the OEM version) and a 120mm fan (compared to the 150mm in the OEM version). I need to research it, but does the S12G offer a good balance between noise output and solid built quality?

For your intended use (expected power draw), probably yes, though IMO/IME it's not really preferable to the G-360: BTW, the S12G/SSP-450RT sport a 120mm fan (as any similar Seasonic).

About:blank wrote:This makes me a little hesitant about the Aurum S.

You're about right: that FSP PSU is a rather outdated and underperfoming ACRF platform, which may also deserve a fan swap. Personally I'd avoid it, any other quoted PSU is significantly better.

Post by About:blank » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:01 am

Thank you for your help, Luca.

Unfortunately, the RMx series is not in stock. This leaves me debating between the Seasonic G series and the RM450. From what I could gather they are very similar both in design and performance (including very similar efficiency levels across the board). If I'm not wrong about this, and given they cost the same, I think I'm leaning a little bit more toward the RM450 because it is virtually silent most of the time.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:27 am

About:blank wrote:Unfortunately, the RMx series is not in stock.

That's why I asked you for a "live" list: it would have been way better/more effective/more comfortable.

About:blank wrote:I'm leaning a little bit more toward the RM450 because it is virtually silent most of the time.

I don't like G-series PSUs, but the little G-360 (which looks like a tad overpriced, there), and at any rate I'd rather to the G-series lots of its derivatives (Antec TPC, XFX XTR, Fractal Edison M). So, all in all *at your expected power draw* the RM is what I'd buy too, as adviced in my 1st post (because at your expected power draw the Seasonic G-360 somewhat better parts quality wouldn't matter).

Post by About:blank » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:44 pm

As I've mentioned before, there isn't any reliable central database for computer parts availability and price, but for good measure and just to make sure nothing is overlooked -- these are the websites of the two stores I'm likely to buy from:

First store. Don't pay attention to the availability indicator. They have several branches so as long as it is listed, they have it in stock (somewhere).

Second store. The UI is not entirely in English, but the important parts are.

All the prices are listed in local currency. To (roughly) convert to USD divide the listed price by 3.5.

Thank you

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:58 am

About:blank wrote:As I've mentioned before, there isn't any reliable central database for computer parts availability and price, but for good measure and just to make sure nothing is overlooked -- these are the websites of the two stores I'm likely to buy from

That's right: I didn't find anything really suitable (for quietness + efficiency + build quality), just different or IMO not preferable trade offs (maybe the CM V-550? Hhmm... I wouldn't bet on it).
RM-450/G-360 is my advice (with G450M/V-550/G-550/TP550C second tier options).

Post by About:blank » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:25 am

I think I'll go with the RM450 as the first option because the semi-passive cooling appeals to me (never tried it, so this is an opportunity) and seem like an acceptable trade-off with the slightly lesser design.
If for whatever reason it won't be available I'll work my way down the list to the Seasonics.

I hope it would be solid. In the past I had what was then considered a top (or probably second) tier (Antec, if I recall correctly) PSU developing a fault with no apparent reason (the system wasn't overclocked and there was plenty of headroom wattage-wise for a simple office system) and fry the MB. So there is no guarantee I guess.

Thank you for all your help. Much appreciated!

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:05 am

About:blank wrote:Thank you for all your help. Much appreciated!

You're welcome (just be more cautious with the S12G-450/G-450/SSP-450RT, as they tend to suffer hot climates): and please report us when you're done.

Behemot

Post by Behemot » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:07 am

RMx is quite superior to RM so it's not that interesting option. I'd go fanless with X-400, those should now be cheaper than the platinum versions.

From G series only the G-360 is good, but above 250 W it starts to be noisy. G-450+, S12G and all the OEM versions are mediocre at best. In latest revisions they should be using slightly slower FDB fan but it's still not really quiet.