Posting Rules: MUST READ before posting!!

Read and follow them to ensure a good experience for everyone!

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Admin
Site Admin

Posting Rules: MUST READ before posting!!

Post by Admin » Sat Jan 11, 2003 2:45 pm

I'm sure that many people have noticed the explosion of the SPCR userbase, which has led to the explosion of these forums and other forms of support. In an effort to keep forums relatively organized, I have setup several guidelines:
  1. Use common sense - Just because it isn't explicitly stated as one of the rules below doesn't mean it's OK. Use common sense and good Netiquette when posting, replying and browsing these forums.
  2. Search, scan and read articles in the relevant section on the main site - There is a great deal of information on the main site, a lot of which is highly detailed and densely packed. Chances are answers to many of your questions will be self-evident as your silencing knowledge grows. By doing the prerequisite reading and learning, your questions / comments will be both more answerable and more interesting to others when you do begin posting.
  3. Search before posting - Please try to use the search feature on the website prior to starting a new topic regarding a problem you are experiencing. Chances are, due to the rapid growth of the forum, your problem may have been solved already or a problem similar to it. By searching prior to posting, you will help yourself by find a solution sooner, and keep the newer problems in focus.
  4. Choose a good subject - Do not make your subject say just "Help a newbie," nobody wants to hear this. Describe your problem briefly in your subject, then you can describe your problem in greater depth in the body of your article. Repeat the subject in the body if it will make things clearer. Avoid "subject says all" etc. A better subject might have been "X Windows crashes whenever I run program foo."
  5. Use BBCodes if you feel you can - BBCodes help to make articles more readable. For more information visit: http://forums.silentpcreview.com/faq.php?mode=bbcode so you can learn things like embedding long linksinstead of leaving them "naked" (like the first time in this sentence) to cause over-wide page formatting. NOTE! Long URLs that are posted without using bbcode posting conventions may be simply deleted by the admins/moderators.
  6. Provide full details of your gear and conditions when you ask questions or make strong statements. Things like a basic component list in your PC, ambient temp in your room, the noise environment (at least a general description) and so on. Temperature readings and noise perception are both extremely dependent on conditions. Being specific and detailed will save time and avoid frustrations for everyone trying to discuss the matter with you.
  7. Thank those who help you - If you post a problem and someone helps you, simply replying with a thank you message or an acknowledgement that their suggestions worked are very much appreciated.
  8. No swearing, cussing or other bad language. Find other ways to be dramatic or to make a strong point. Strong language is one of the common triggers for silly arguments. This is a somewhat subjective matter, and mods will use their discretion to delete swearing posts. Repeat offenders will be banned.
  9. No bashing - If someone is posting about a question they have or a problem they are experiencing, don't simply tell them they are wrong recommend they try your recommendation. Instead, provide facts or opinions supporting your recommendation, provide positive feedback, and please keep the criticism low. Bashing posts or threads may be deleted without warning, and offenders banned, after ONE warning.
  10. No personal attacks - These forums are not a place for you to take cheap shots at somebody because he/she did something. Do that some place else (or better yet, get over it). You have been warned. Hopefully, this won't be much of a problem here. Personal attack posts or threads may be deleted without warning, and offenders banned, after ONE warning.
  11. Cross posting - Please do not post the same question to multiple forums. Cross posting clutters up the forums and makes things like searching harder for other users. If you feel your question could fit in multiple forums, please pick the best one and post there. If you would like your topic moved, message a Moderator. They will be deleted if mods find them.
  12. Ask Questions The Smart Way - If you are new to the internet, forums or the world of Silent Computing or if you just aren't sure what kinds of questions are okay to ask and how they should be phrased, then please read this document. It covers many of the same points as covered in this guide, but goes into far more detail and offers detailed explanations and suggestions.
  13. Don't post big images, post links to them instead - images larger than 640 x 480 pixels have the effect of making pages so wide that lateral scrolling is required. This can make a page a real nuisance to scroll through. Please avoid posting such large images; a link works just as well even if it not quite as compelling or dramatic as the pic. Again, posts may be deleted without warning, and offenders banned, after ONE warning.
  14. Don't hotlink to another site's images. If the images are not on your own webspace, just post a URL instead of the image itself. It is good netiquette not to use someone else's bandwidth for your forum posts, plus it ensures that the originator of the content gets their proper credit.
  15. The User Reviews forum have an additional set of rules. Make sure you read the FAQ and Rules in that forum before posting there. It will be the most carefully moderated forum here.
  16. No avatars or images in signatures please. - This is a collective decision by admin & many regulars who like the clean uncluttered look of the SPCR forums. We encourage creativity in the content of your posts rather than repetitive images that can have meaning & impact only the first time around. There are lots of other forums that allow avatar sigs; please feel free to go wild there. ;) Thanks for your cooperation. - Note: The only exceptions are small folding @ home related images. Text signatures are allowed, providing they are:
    - Maximum 300 characters long
    - No more than 4 lines
    - Smaller font preferred to reduce the "height" of the posts so that long threads are easier to scroll through.
  17. All members must post in English - This allows the staff to ensure that the rules are being followed. Content in other languages are allowed as long as full English translations are provided, or otherwise at the discretion of the staff.

antonio

Post by antonio » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:40 am

read, Thanks

gogu123

Post by gogu123 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:25 pm

read and understood. edited for stupidity :-)

OddSilence

Post by OddSilence » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:30 pm

I agree with the rules.

hnyman

Post by hnyman » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:42 am

read

cocooner

Post by cocooner » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:18 am

I agree :-)

evot
-- Vendor --

Re: Posting Rules: MUST READ before posting!!

Post by evot » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:13 am

I agree.

Matthew9226

Post by Matthew9226 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:56 pm

Read and totally agree. I like the clean look of SPCR.

SilentMax

Post by SilentMax » Tue May 17, 2011 10:10 am

thanks +1

ChicaneBT

Post by ChicaneBT » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:18 am

Should I post here before my comments are placed on the other forums?

silenceorgtfo

Post by silenceorgtfo » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:40 am

I like this forum but something I don't like is the fact it takes an entire day for your post to get approved. Then I edited literally "GPU" from "CPU" because it was a typo and now the thread has disappeared for hours until admin approval again just for editing and changing a G for a P. Isn't that a little bit too much?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:40 am

silenceorgtfo wrote:I like this forum but something I don't like is the fact it takes an entire day for your post to get approved. Then I edited literally "GPU" from "CPU" because it was a typo and now the thread has disappeared for hours until admin approval again just for editing and changing a G for a P. Isn't that a little bit too much?
You could be right -- I think I need to ask for a few more mod volunteers. Any regulars see this & want to help out?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:10 am

Looking for some clarification...I'm guessing this is an anti-spambot thing where the first new registrant posts are viewed by moderators and declared spam/non-spam? What's the process?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:50 am

CA_Steve wrote:Looking for some clarification...I'm guessing this is an anti-spambot thing where the first new registrant posts are viewed by moderators and declared spam/non-spam? What's the process?
First 2 (3?) posts of any new member go into queue for moderator approval. Mod checks it for forum/topic fit, moves/re-titles if necessary, then approves. If there's any spammy links in the post or signature, it's tossed, along with the member, who is banned. Then there's general moderating... breaking up spitting contests (unless they're really fun), nudging people from misbehaving or losing their temper, locking down a thread if it's a waste for all, etc...

Are you applying, Steve? You know about the qualifying exams, psych evaluation... and the multiple inoculation shots against self-aggrandizement, violent language, utterance of threats, bullying, and brutality?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:59 pm

MikeC wrote:You know about the qualifying exams, psych evaluation... and the multiple inoculation shots against self-aggrandizement, violent language, utterance of threats, bullying, and brutality?
Don't forget to tell him about the perks too: Free use of the SPCR condo/ski lodge in Lake Tahoe.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:24 pm

[quote="Ralf Hutter"]Don't forget to tell him about the perks too: Free use of the SPCR condo/ski lodge in Lake Tahoe.[/quote]

I'm guessing you just THINK you are at the ski lodge after spending 12 hours in the isolation aka anechoic chamber. Is this before or after the uncontrollable babbling and drooling starts?

I've got time at the moment to help out.

Maybe "First few posts of any new member go into queue for moderator approval." should be #1 in the above list.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:40 pm

[quote="Ralf Hutter"]

Don't forget to tell him about the perks too: Free use of the SPCR condo/ski lodge in Lake Tahoe.[/quote]

umm, i would have signed up for a mod badge years ago, if thats the case!

honestly i wish i had the time to help out... but GF says im on 'pooter too much as it is. :(

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:39 am

Greetings,
silenceorgtfo wrote:I like this forum but something I don't like is the fact it takes an entire day for your post to get approved. Then I edited literally "GPU" from "CPU" because it was a typo and now the thread has disappeared for hours until admin approval again just for editing and changing a G for a P. Isn't that a little bit too much?
We probably do take longer to approve early posts than we ideally would. On the plus side, how much Spam do you see here? All edits must go through the same process -- a human being has to be the judge about whether an edit is legit or not. If you were a Spammer, your edit could have been to add a link to your commercial web site where malware bombs other member's computers.

Thank you for bearing with this admittedly imperfect system.

By way of answering Steve's question: I just logged on (which I typically do at least twice a day) and there were four posts waiting for approval. (I'm in a different time zone from the other mods.) I approved two because they were legit, and I disapproved two because they were not legit. If either of the two posts I approved get edited, then they have to get re-approved; otherwise all a Spammer has to do is post a Trojan post, and then inject their Spam afterward...

Radunor

Post by Radunor » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:56 pm

Ok, I read it and I'm happy with these rules.

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:35 pm

Is it OK to post links to articles elsewhere?

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:41 pm

[quote="Rhino"]Is it OK to post links to articles elsewhere?[/quote]
we do it often.
just just keep it on topic, not spammy, and avoid self promotion.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:54 pm

I do a great job of this...Oh crap, I just violated Xan's rule.... :D

Thermalright

Post by Thermalright » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:16 pm

read

c4l4o

Post by c4l4o » Mon May 23, 2016 1:12 pm

Read, thanks!

edith

Post by edith » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:20 am

read it

guillaume31

Post by guillaume31 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:06 am

Understood, thanks.

SpirionX

Post by SpirionX » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:07 am

I have read the rules, thanks for the clarification.