Silent CPU Cooler while NOT overclocking

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

edhopper

Silent CPU Cooler while NOT overclocking

Post by edhopper » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:27 am

Hey guys,

Could you give me some advice with regard to what cpu cooler I should pick? I am not overclocking, so temperature isn't going to be a problem, the stock cooler should do fine. However I really want my PC to be quiet, so I'll get an aftermarket cooler, but there doesn't seem to be any need to make it absolutely high-end.

CPU: i5 6600 (non-k)
GPU: Gainward GeForce GTX 1080
Mainboard: Asus H170-PRO
Case: Fractal Design Define R5

Until now I was thinking Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO or Cryorig H7.

What are your suggestions? It should also be easy to install on my LGA 1151 socket, though...

Thanks a lot!

CA_Steve

Re: Silent CPU Cooler while NOT overclocking

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:28 am

Welcome to SPCR. The Cryorg H7 comes across as a decent $35 cooler for your 65W CPU. The PWM fan drops to ~300rpm. If you wanted to spend $10 more, there's the Scythe Kotetsu.

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:21 am

I would go Scytke Kotetsu or Ninja4 or Thermalright Macho RevB, even if you are not overclocking, this great coolers should allow you very low rpms even under load and still be inaudible. Atm im using a i7 6700K on a Prolimatech Genesis with two Thermalright TY147A and i have them spinning at 400rpms idle and the most that i see them ramp up is 600rpms still keeping the cores below 70C underload.

If you plan on using Asus Fanxpert for managing your fans, all 3 above will work great, i woudl give the slight edge to the Macho in terms the fan can drop off around 300rpms, now if you are going with Asus bios fan control, i had issues with Asus H170 Pro gaming recognizing the macho TY147A upon botting up, sometimes i get the error that no cpu fan detected, like the rpms are too low for the check, but not always. Scythe fans have higher rpms as minimums, and i did a build on another H170 Pro gaming, and i had no issues with the Glidestream passing the botting on pure bios fan control, but the lowest that i was able to drop it was 750rpms (fanXpert can drop it lower, was just that qtunning on the asus bios didnt read the lower limits correctly), while with the TY147A was around 300rpms, again sometimes you have to do an extra enter on booting as it stops the booting because the fan isnt recognized, thats with disabling the alarm on the bios for this specific purpose, as i said before, i think Asus bios fan control is on the right track, just buggy sometimes, now with FanXpert i had no issues whatsover with any of the fans ever.

edhopper

Post by edhopper » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:30 am

Thank you so far! You got any assessment of the CRYORIG M9i? techpowerup rates it quite good... and as a matter of fact tweaktown rates the M9i even better at noise level than the H7 (25 dB vs 31dB @ 7V)?!

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:05 am

You could give it a shot as it's only $20. Usually down in this range, something gives to meet the price point - like fan tonality. Plus min speed is 600rpm.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:51 am

edhopper wrote:and as a matter of fact tweaktown rates the M9i even better at noise level than the H7 (25 dB vs 31dB @ 7V)?!
Apple to apple, please: the former has a 92mm fan, the latter a 120mm one, they shouldn't be compared by voltage, but by cooling prowess.

Broadly speaking, it's safer to look at the SPCR reviewed models, otherwise YMMV.