Help with Ncase M1 build

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

s4dus

Help with Ncase M1 build

Post by s4dus » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:09 am

[Mod: I split this off from viewtopic.php?f=17&t=69341. It's more appropriate as it's own thread. ]

I will be building new PC at some point next year but I am getting ready for that. My goals as same as author of the threat: silence and powerful when needed. PC used mostly for browsing web, YT and I play only 1 game on it: World of Tanks. I have an old PC with i5 2500k in a Corsair 600t graphite white. Now I need something small and silent as my current PC is loud. I was thinking of WC the system. Found on internet pictures where reservoir could be placed just behind the case. PC will need to last few years so custom loop that I will make need to have a drainage port somewhere low in the loop. There was a bit about smaller cards vs full size cards. How does it compare with the power of the cards small vs big (1070 mini vs 1070 full size from same manufacturer)? Will the smaller card work poorer? I would like to use hard toobing for the build as they look better and I have heard that soft tubes tend to add a bit to the liquid with time and after some time liquid doesn't cool that good anymore. I am happy to refresh the coolant every year or 2 if needed. I would like to mount 2 x 240mm rads in but not sure if necessary. I also don't know if I will need a K processor for my needs. I have a K now and my PC is not OCed. It was only for a month or so but didn't like the fact that PC was rebooking few times on start up to apply OC to the CPU so came back to stock.
Are you able to help me with it?

Fire-Flare

Re: Help with Ncase M1 build

Post by Fire-Flare » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:43 am

I use flexible tubing and I've never noticed a difference in my system's temperatures. I replace the coolant every year or so. (distilled water and additives for it are super cheap)

The form factor of the video card says less about its performance than its specs. If it has the same processor and memory size running at the same speeds you won't notice a difference.

240mm radiators may be a bit excessive, my system has a pair of 140mm dual-pass rads in push-pull with low-speed Noctua PWM fans. I never hear them spin up except for when I turn the system on.

As for overclocking, I think a K is good for overclocking down the road when game needs increase, by then there should be plenty of info online about average power needs for your specific CPU and the speed you desire.

s4dus

Post by s4dus » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:24 am

In this case if I would get a EVGA 1060 SC mini and WC it, it will perform good? If I use SFX PSU with small GPU I could squeeze my 3 HDDs in (hopefully).

Fire-Flare

Post by Fire-Flare » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:28 am

s4dus wrote:In this case if I would get a EVGA 1060 SC mini and WC it, it will perform good? If I use SFX PSU with small GPU I could squeeze my 3 HDDs in (hopefully).
While EVGA's short 1060s have the same specs as their full length counterparts, I'm not seeing any waterblocks for them...

s4dus

Post by s4dus » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:14 am

All EK have is a block for processor but not VRAM or other parts. I would need to get radiators to stick them on. Not ideal. So 1070 in this case?

Fire-Flare

Post by Fire-Flare » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:14 am

s4dus wrote:All EK have is a block for processor but not VRAM or other parts. I would need to get radiators to stick them on. Not ideal. So 1070 in this case?
Would an AMD R9 Fury X be an option? It's already small, liquid-cooled, and outperforms the 1060.

s4dus

Post by s4dus » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:22 am

If it's better than sure, why not. I am open for sugestions. I like the small size od Ncase M1 v5 so having a small but powerful card is always good. I will just need to make sure all runs perfect under linux as I don't have W7 or W10 and WoT runs fine. If I get a ready WC card than it's another bonus for me as I won't have to do it my self.
EDIT: And about CPU: shall I get i7 with no K or a i5 with a K? Don't wanna shock my GF with bill for all parts ;)

Fire-Flare

Post by Fire-Flare » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:50 am

s4dus wrote:If it's better than sure, why not. I am open for sugestions. I like the small size od Ncase M1 v5 so having a small but powerful card is always good. I will just need to make sure all runs perfect under linux as I don't have W7 or W10 and WoT runs fine. If I get a ready WC card than it's another bonus for me as I won't have to do it my self.
AMD has had a Linux driver out for their higher end cards under Ubuntu since at least July.

Is that the distro you'll be using?

Also note that WoT doesn't have a download for Linux, you'll need to use WINE. (Which I don't have experience with)

It might be simpler just to get Windows. The System Builder's version of Windows 10 Home is only $100.

s4dus

Post by s4dus » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:49 am

What do you mean by distro?

I already play WoT under linux ;) All I will need to set is fan/pump curves for temperatures of the liquid. Run the loop at 100% at all times is not the best choise I belive.

Fire-Flare

Post by Fire-Flare » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:14 pm

s4dus wrote:What do you mean by distro?

I already play WoT under linux ;) All I will need to set is fan/pump curves for temperatures of the liquid. Run the loop at 100% at all times is not the best choise I belive.
Distribution. Ubuntu is one of many Linux distributions.

Ah, good. My system's Swiftech MCP35X pump runs at 20% PWM with no issues, (any louder and I can hear it) and while technically you won't damage a pump by running it at 100%, it certainly won't be quiet.

If they'll fit, you would benefit from replacing the stock fans of the card's radiator with a pair of Noctuas in push-pull. That way you can run both of them at a lower RPM than a single fan without sacrificing cooling performance.

s4dus

Post by s4dus » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:57 pm

Ah, sure. I have Mint 17,04 and I am happy with it.

Regarding setting RPM speeds I need to check if there is any software that would allow me that config.
How thick are fans and a slim rad? What about SFX PSU? do they really produce less heat? If I do push-pull setup will that cool all other hardware enough to not have a extra intake fan to put fresh air in and create positive pressure?

s4dus

Post by s4dus » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:37 am

In the picture attached you can see a slim rad and cans under GPU so I was thinking doing similar thing but with 2nd rad having on the side panel with fans on so that would be 2x 240mm rad where side rad would be intake, bottom intake and rest would be out creating positive pressure in the case.
http://vpx.pl/image/yyyP

Fire-Flare

Post by Fire-Flare » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:10 pm

s4dus wrote:In the picture attached you can see a slim rad and cans under GPU so I was thinking doing similar thing but with 2nd rad having on the side panel with fans on so that would be 2x 240mm rad where side rad would be intake, bottom intake and rest would be out creating positive pressure in the case.
http://vpx.pl/image/yyyP
Does that build have a reservoir? I'm not seeing it.

It's best to have one of those at the top so air bubbles get stuck in there instead of the radiators. In my last build I used a Swiftech MCRES Micro: http://www.swiftech.com/mcresmicrorev2reservoir.aspx

If you want to save space you could also use a CPU block/pump combo. I use Swiftech's Apogee Drive II: http://www.swiftech.com/ApogeeDrive2.aspx

(I don't work for Swiftech, I just like their space-saving designs. :P)

s4dus

Post by s4dus » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:22 pm

Thanks, I was thinking about having res outside the case to have some space inside the case for some airflow ;)
How is that pomp working? That pomp is for 1155 socket, will it fit onto 1151?

Fire-Flare

Post by Fire-Flare » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:01 pm

s4dus wrote:Thanks, I was thinking about having res outside the case to have some space inside the case for some airflow ;)
How is that pomp working? That pomp is for 1155 socket, will it fit onto 1151?
Ah yes, that case does have external tubing ports. The MCRES' upper mounts appear to be compatible with 92mm fan holes like the ones on the back of the M1. Alternatively there is a company called Bitspower that makes tubular reservoirs with screw mounts which would be perfect for the horizontal grill back there.

My MCP35X Apogee Drive II combo is 4 years old and still going strong (and quiet). The CPU height and mounting hole spacing is identical across the 115x series.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:01 am

Fire-Flare wrote:Alternatively there is a company called Bitspower that makes tubular reservoirs with screw mounts which would be perfect for the horizontal grill back there.
Which ones did you mean?

s4dus

Post by s4dus » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:49 am

If I get CPU block pump combo and small res to place it out side the case then My config would be (look at the picture I linked before):
Res.>CPU (right hole as in)>top rad (from CPU left hole)>GPU>bottom rad> back to res. That means I would have 2x 240mm slim rads with 4x 120mm slim fans spinning slower. The whole PSU part of the case will be free to place my HDDs and SSD in there :)

Fire-Flare

Post by Fire-Flare » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:55 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
Fire-Flare wrote:Alternatively there is a company called Bitspower that makes tubular reservoirs with screw mounts which would be perfect for the horizontal grill back there.
Which ones did you mean?
One of these: http://www.bitspower.com/html/product/p ... ucts_id=37

Or possibly the 80mm variant: http://www.bitspower.com/html/product/p ... ucts_id=32

Fire-Flare

Post by Fire-Flare » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:12 am

s4dus wrote:If I get CPU block pump combo and small res to place it out side the case then My config would be (look at the picture I linked before):
Res.>CPU (right hole as in)>top rad (from CPU left hole)>GPU>bottom rad> back to res. That means I would have 2x 240mm slim rads with 4x 120mm slim fans spinning slower. The whole PSU part of the case will be free to place my HDDs and SSD in there :)
That's the flow order I use in my case. :)

And looking at the pictures of the Ncase M1, I assume all will fit and be well. I hope I'm correct.