is nofan best fanless cooler?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dan

is nofan best fanless cooler?

Post by dan » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:43 pm

is nofan cr-95 the best fanless cpu cooler or has it been surpassed?

if compatibility with cases is a concern what is a smaller one that is also fanless, that offers best performance cr-80 or something else?

quest_for_silence

Re: is nofan best fanless cooler?

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:42 pm

I guess it mostly depends of the actual CPU and usage pattern.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:40 pm

dan wrote:is nofan cr-95 the best fanless cpu cooler or has it been surpassed?
There was a bigger cooler before the CR95, CR-100A, that was suppose to be better, but its too big and heavy, even the CR95 usually takes 2 PCIe slots, making it hard to place on small cases or tight setups.
dan wrote:if compatibility with cases is a concern what is a smaller one that is also fanless, that offers best performance cr-80 or something else?
CR80 was design out of the CR95 taking too much space stiil, the 80 rating vs 95 (as far as i know, its the max TDP the cooler is design for), so in essence the CR80 is a little worst than CR95, but you probably gain the 2nd PCIe slot thats where most of the motherboards have the first 16x for the gpu.

Personally, i recommend coolers that have fans that can be driven to inaudible levels, pricewise the best imo is Thermalright Macho RevB and Scythe Ninja4, if you want the best into low airflow and you have bigger budget, the Le Grand Macho with fan TY-147B, what you gain is a little more tolerance into very low rpms, but at high rpms its very similar to the Marcho RevB.

dan

Post by dan » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:46 am

Abula wrote:
dan wrote:is nofan cr-95 the best fanless cpu cooler or has it been surpassed?
There was a bigger cooler before the CR95, CR-100A, that was suppose to be better, but its too big and heavy, even the CR95 usually takes 2 PCIe slots, making it hard to place on small cases or tight setups.
dan wrote:if compatibility with cases is a concern what is a smaller one that is also fanless, that offers best performance cr-80 or something else?
CR80 was design out of the CR95 taking too much space stiil, the 80 rating vs 95 (as far as i know, its the max TDP the cooler is design for), so in essence the CR80 is a little worst than CR95, but you probably gain the 2nd PCIe slot thats where most of the motherboards have the first 16x for the gpu.

Personally, i recommend coolers that have fans that can be driven to inaudible levels, pricewise the best imo is Thermalright Macho RevB and Scythe Ninja4, if you want the best into low airflow and you have bigger budget, the Le Grand Macho with fan TY-147B, what you gain is a little more tolerance into very low rpms, but at high rpms its very similar to the Marcho RevB.
i like the idea of building a passively cooled build, and given that i don't plan to play games, the idea of building a perfectly silent pc with fanless ssd power supply sounds enticing.

i like the idea of the apple g4 cube which was passively cooled.

and atx form factors offer higher quality boards that are heat-resistant.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:23 am

i like the idea of building a passively cooled build, and given that i don't plan to play games, the idea of building a perfectly silent pc with fanless ssd power supply sounds enticing.
It really depends on a lot of factors, i would probably go with a case design to be passive like HDDPLEX or STEACOM , among others, their heatpipe design to me its the best solution. I have tried to run an i7 4770K on NoFan95C, and if the load is high it will pass 100C unless you have fans moving air inside the case. My guess is an i3 (probably an i5) will be easily sustained no matter what load.

For me was more into wanting to test the NoFan95, and it was a fun build and look very nice still. That said, if i were to today desire a fully fanless build, i would go with a HDPLEX/STEACOM.

dan

Post by dan » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:13 am

Abula wrote:
It really depends on a lot of factors, i would probably go with a case design to be passive like HDDPLEX or STEACOM , among others, their heatpipe design to me its the best solution. I have tried to run an i7 4770K on NoFan95C, and if the load is high it will pass 100C unless you have fans moving air inside the case. My guess is an i3 (probably an i5) will be easily sustained no matter what load.

For me was more into wanting to test the NoFan95, and it was a fun build and look very nice still. That said, if i were to today desire a fully fanless build, i would go with a HDPLEX/STEACOM.

hi

the only intense use i have is basic youtube level video editing, amateur not professional

so what is your impression of nofan? does HDPLEX/STEACOM support atx?

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:34 pm

dan wrote:so what is your impression of nofan?
Its a great expensive cooler, the best among passive, but not as good to sustain a 4770K under prime95. It maintains my Camera server (see signature) below 70C under daily load, the CPU varies all day depending on the cameras, it can hit 100% for brief periods, usually its at 30%, with jumps to 60% is the usual. Its much better than HR22 fully passive but worst going with a fan on the HR22.
dan wrote:does HDPLEX/STEACOM support atx?
I think so.

HDPLEX 2nd Gen H5 according to their webpage "Support ATX/microATX/ITX"

Steacom F12C Chassis according to their specs "Motherboard Support: Full ATX, Micro-ATX, Mini-ITX"

An interesting case that has caught my attention is the Calyos NSG - S0, it can take high end hardware and still have decent temps, TRULY Silent Workstation PC with ZERO FANS - HOLY $H!T Ep. 13

dan

Post by dan » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:11 pm

Abula wrote:
dan wrote:so what is your impression of nofan?
Its a great expensive cooler, the best among passive, but not as good to sustain a 4770K under prime95. It maintains my Camera server (see signature) below 70C under daily load, the CPU varies all day depending on the cameras, it can hit 100% for brief periods, usually its at 30%, with jumps to 60% is the usual. Its much better than HR22 fully passive but worst going with a fan on the HR22.
dan wrote:does HDPLEX/STEACOM support atx?
I think so.

HDPLEX 2nd Gen H5 according to their webpage "Support ATX/microATX/ITX"

Steacom F12C Chassis according to their specs "Motherboard Support: Full ATX, Micro-ATX, Mini-ITX"

An interesting case that has caught my attention is the Calyos NSG - S0, it can take high end hardware and still have decent temps, TRULY Silent Workstation PC with ZERO FANS - HOLY $H!T Ep. 13
what makes those cases special?

I actually thinking of a dual-chamber case from say corsair that supports atx and plenty of vents, but no fans so it would be similar to the g4 cube

dual chamber though are pretty "fat" but having a seasonic fanless psu in a separate chamber is a plus, with the other chamber a no-fan and open vents directly above it.

one thing i like about atx form factor is it seems the premium atx motherboards are atx,

supposedly gigabyte ultradurable and msi military class 3 can withstand high temperatures

if true then perhaps no fan cooling is required.

i plan to use the slots for ssd type storage, not gpu's. and extra usb ports and wifi

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:31 pm

dan wrote:what makes those cases special?
The case themselves are heatsinks, but what amazes me is a case that can keep up a quad and high end gpu at lower temps than low end water cooling.
dan wrote:I actually thinking of a dual-chamber case from say corsair that supports atx and plenty of vents, but no fans so it would be similar to the g4 cube

dual chamber though are pretty "fat" but having a seasonic fanless psu in a separate chamber is a plus, with the other chamber a no-fan and open vents directly above it.

one thing i like about atx form factor is it seems the premium atx motherboards are atx,

supposedly gigabyte ultradurable and msi military class 3 can withstand high temperatures

if true then perhaps no fan cooling is required.

i plan to use the slots for ssd type storage, not gpu's. and extra usb ports and wifi
Asus also has the tuF naming mostly in the sabertooth mobos, thats suppose to be like the marketing from gigabyte and msi.

Try to share your build and results.

dan

Post by dan » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:55 pm

Abula wrote: Asus also has the tuF naming mostly in the sabertooth mobos, thats suppose to be like the marketing from gigabyte and msi.

Try to share your build and results.
i don't know much about tuf's. i first got interested in it when i saw articles on msi hi-c tantalium capacties that last 30 years of heavy use. sadly it seems msi no longer makes motherboards with tantalum capacitors

so in say an atx case how does the heat pipe which is rigid and fixed, connect from cpu to the case in those brands u mention? thanks

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:20 pm

dan wrote:so in say an atx case how does the heat pipe which is rigid and fixed, connect from cpu to the case in those brands u mention? thanks
Well in most cases, the pipes are already design to work on a certain position, that fits the cpu socket and are connected to the case, thru some kinda mounting design, to what i seens also use thermal past to make contact in between. There are others like akasa implentation to the nuks that have a direct contact plate that its the heatsink itself, really comes down how the company designs it.

dan

Post by dan » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:44 pm

Abula wrote:
dan wrote:so in say an atx case how does the heat pipe which is rigid and fixed, connect from cpu to the case in those brands u mention? thanks
Well in most cases, the pipes are already design to work on a certain position, that fits the cpu socket and are connected to the case, thru some kinda mounting design, to what i seens also use thermal past to make contact in between. There are others like akasa implentation to the nuks that have a direct contact plate that its the heatsink itself, really comes down how the company designs it.
the idea sounds interesting.

im a little uncertain how that works though esp since cpu socket locations can differ among motherboards.

am i rite in thinking asus tuf, msi military class 3, gigabyte ultradurable can get away with passive cooling?

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:53 pm

dan wrote:am i rite in thinking asus tuf, msi military class 3, gigabyte ultradurable can get away with passive cooling?
Honestly.... idk, my guess is more a marketing, as they even have higher end motherboards with bigger heatsinks, backplates and better mosfets even some that have pipes that use other hestsinks, etc, but it could be... Chipset temps will be high no matter what, even in a fan setup my chipset is right up there with the core temps... but one thing to remember is that heat is what really ruins electrical components, they can stand or tolerate certain range, but over time they will fail, most of us never see this stages as we upgrade faster, but there was a time when i was jobless and played a lot, and didn't have much money for upgrades, and even though i was very good into cleaning and sustaining the filters clean, and temps were never over whats suppose to be dangerous, most of my hardware gave up, starting with the gpu even at low temps i had artifacts, bover time the memory started to give me blue screens, had to undervolt it to keep it stable (a setup that had ran 3 years with no issues) and later the chipset started giving me blue screens, i had to put a small fan on it to keep it where it still work out, and finally the 5 year old antec PSU started to have power shutdown, and finally died.
dan wrote:im a little uncertain how that works though esp since cpu socket locations can differ among motherboards.
You are correct, not all CPU socket placements are the same, specially on mini ITX it differs a lot, on ATX not so much (but it does somewhat). You can find on some of this manufacturers a compatibility list or you can write to them to see if your planned mobo will work out. These are very expensive cases, and they should know what will work out with what they design.

Again, i dont want to detour you from what you are trying to achieve, but today you have tons of options to build a inaudible PC, its not like it used to me, and you wont believe what a little airflow helps, the temp difference even with 300rpms fans is dramatic on big coolers, that said if you are doing it more because you want to try it, go for it, there is no one detouring from what i want to build, i see pcs more like a hobby than a tool, but im also probably not going to do fanless ever, my goal most of the time is to build the coolest running setup i cant hear, that said, that belguim fanless setup has me interested, will see in time once they go into production if it works as good as the reviews are saying.

dan

Post by dan » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:36 pm

i did have a matrox card remember those that had artifacting problems like you describe. my thinking is just to use the gpu on the cpu on intel or amd.

i had a gigabye ud but either it or core2 duo died, i had it undervolted. not sure if undervolting can damage the cpu.

nofan claims its fanless means less or no dust.

i do worry about the chipset getting too hot to use.

but the technology now exists for a fanless passive and no spinning disck build.

shame spcr doesnt describe such a build.