Computer upgrade: need advice on case and fans

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

osxyer

Computer upgrade: need advice on case and fans

Post by osxyer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:37 pm

Hello there,

My father passed away about 2 months ago and I inherited his computer. I am looking forward to upgrade his computer so I can play modern games on it.

This is the computer's current configuration:

- Intel i3-6100 with evo 212 cpu cooler
- 16gb ddr4 2133hz
- Asrock H170 pro4
- Corsair 240gb ssd
- Seagate 500gb hdd 7200
- Corsair 200R case
- Evga 750w power supply

I would like to upgrade to an i5 and add a gtx 1070.

The thing that I don't like about this current setup is the case or the noise coming out from it. Right now, I only have the cpu cooler and a back fan running (one that came with the case) and the hdd. I can hear the hdd well, because the top of the case is open. I saw that most cases these says are open because people put radiators there to push out the air flow.

So here are my questions:

- Is the 200R a good case? Should I replace it if I want something quieter or replace the cpu cooler/case fans with something more quiet. What about the HDD? Try to stop its vibrations?
- If it's better to replace the case, which one do you recommend?
- How many fans should I put on a case for this type of configuration?

thank you very much for your advices!

quest_for_silence

Re: Computer upgrade: need advice on case and fans

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:01 am

osxyer wrote:My father passed away about 2 months ago

I'm sorry for your loss, but welcome on SPCR.

osxyer wrote:So here are my questions:

- Is the 200R a good case?

Not exactly: it's cheap, flimsy, it lacks airflow and sports mediocre/bad sounding fans.
Said that, there are worse options around but, while it might be good enough for an IGP rig like your father's one, personally I wouldn't use it for a powerful gaming rig (if quietness is paramount).

osxyer wrote:Should I replace it if I want something quieter or replace the cpu cooler/case fans with something more quiet. What about the HDD? Try to stop its vibrations?

Short answers are: yes / yes / replace the HDD also / it doesn't worth the hassle (trying to stop those HDD vibrations).

osxyer wrote:- If it's better to replace the case, which one do you recommend?

Usual suspects are good options, Fractal Define (any flavour), Corsair 400/600Q, etc...

osxyer wrote:- How many fans should I put on a case for this type of configuration?

For the 1070, 2 intakes, 1 exhaust, 140mm fans for a bit cooler outcome, 120mm for a bit quiter one (maybe).

For more specific advices, please feel free to link your favorite e-shops/local online price comparators.

osxyer

Post by osxyer » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:50 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
osxyer wrote:My father passed away about 2 months ago

I'm sorry for your loss, but welcome on SPCR.

osxyer wrote:So here are my questions:

- Is the 200R a good case?

Not exactly: it's cheap, flimsy, it lacks airflow and sports mediocre/bad sounding fans.
Said that, there are worse options around but, while it might be good enough for an IGP rig like your father's one, personally I wouldn't use it for a powerful gaming rig (if quietness is paramount).

osxyer wrote:Should I replace it if I want something quieter or replace the cpu cooler/case fans with something more quiet. What about the HDD? Try to stop its vibrations?

Short answers are: yes / yes / replace the HDD also / it doesn't worth the hassle (trying to stop those HDD vibrations).

osxyer wrote:- If it's better to replace the case, which one do you recommend?

Usual suspects are good options, Fractal Define (any flavour), Corsair 400/600Q, etc...

osxyer wrote:- How many fans should I put on a case for this type of configuration?

For the 1070, 2 intakes, 1 exhaust, 140mm fans for a bit cooler outcome, 120mm for a bit quiter one (maybe).

For more specific advices, please feel free to link your favorite e-shops/local online price comparators.

Hello there,

I finally ordered the R5. It should arrive early next week. I also ordered the CPU i5-6600k and a MSI GTX 10650 6GB GAMING X.

As for the CPU cooler, I will try with the Hyper 202 first and see what happens.
How are the fans that come with the case? Also, I bought a 1tb SSD to replace the HDD....yeah, it's more expensive, but it will give me peace.
Also, I have two fans here, could they be worth something to combine with the fractal fans. They are the Antec Tricool Double bearing case fan. They come up with a 3 pin connector and a 3 speed controler.

Thank you very much for your help :)

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:15 am

osxyer wrote:As for the CPU cooler, I will try with the Hyper 202 first and see what happens.

I meant to replace the cooler fan, not the cooler itself: the Hyper 212 Evo is enough good for cooling an i5, but the stock fan is mediocre/bad sounding ones over 5-600rpm.

osxyer wrote:How are the fans that come with the case?

Your mileage may vary, some one likes them, some other ones prefer to swap them: the overall sound pressure level may be low, but sometimes bearing noise has been reported.

They surely deserve a try, but it's preferable to hook them up to a software controller (like SpeedFan, check the relevant SPCR guide in articles section), because both the Fractal fan controller and the BIOS min speed may be a bit too conservative (aggressive).

osxyer wrote:They are the Antec Tricool Double bearing case fan. They come up with a 3 pin connector and a 3 speed controler.

Whether quietness is paramount, the old TriCools are not useful at all, too fast spinning and with a too much noticeable bearing noise: BTW, if you have there lying around, just fire them up and listen, it's always the best approach (trying is better than asking, always).

osxyer

Post by osxyer » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:48 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
osxyer wrote:As for the CPU cooler, I will try with the Hyper 202 first and see what happens.

I meant to replace the cooler fan, not the cooler itself: the Hyper 212 Evo is enough good for cooling an i5, but the stock fan is mediocre/bad sounding ones over 5-600rpm.

osxyer wrote:How are the fans that come with the case?

Your mileage may vary, some one likes them, some other ones prefer to swap them: the overall sound pressure level may be low, but sometimes bearing noise has been reported.

They surely deserve a try, but it's preferable to hook them up to a software controller (like SpeedFan, check the relevant SPCR guide in articles section), because both the Fractal fan controller and the BIOS min speed may be a bit too conservative (aggressive).

osxyer wrote:They are the Antec Tricool Double bearing case fan. They come up with a 3 pin connector and a 3 speed controler.

Whether quietness is paramount, the old TriCools are not useful at all, too fast spinning and with a too much noticeable bearing noise: BTW, if you have there lying around, just fire them up and listen, it's always the best approach (trying is better than asking, always).

Thank you! What fan do you recommend me to buy for my cpu cooler and for my case if I don't like the fractal fans?
Thank you

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:32 pm

osxyer wrote:What fan do you recommend me to buy for my cpu cooler and for my case if I don't like the fractal fans?

Broadly speaking, fans selection mainly depends of your sources: please link to what's available to you.

Said that, the CPU fan mostly depends of your budget, while for case fans that mainly depends of what you might not like about the Fractals (I mean, there could be different advice if you had not to like bearing signature or if you were not able to run them at an enough low speed).

BTW, there are lots of useful info in the relevant SPCR sections:
  1. fans;
  2. cooling;
  3. cases;
  4. build guides.