Tempered glass craziness

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Tilltech

Tempered glass craziness

Post by Tilltech » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:04 pm

If you've been observing technology news for the last 6 months, especially the latest Computex, you must have noticed that practically all cases are tempered glass!

Is tempered glass conducive to sound isolation?

Even if it is I would not want a transparent case, wtf is going on...

lodestar

Re: Tempered glass craziness

Post by lodestar » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:33 am

I suspect it is linked to the 'RGB everywhere' thing, a particularly good example is this Corsair Slate video from Hexus.net. RGB mouse mat anyone?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:00 pm

Can't really generalize: A well designed case can have a window and not be noticably louder than the same one without a window. A poorly designed case could be noticably louder. Have to take it case by case. :lol:

Tilltech

Post by Tilltech » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:21 pm

lodestar wrote:I suspect it is linked to the 'RGB everywhere' thing, a particularly good example is this Corsair Slate video from Hexus.net. RGB mouse mat anyone?
I don't get the RGB thing either. Why is this even a thing? Are people that bored with themselves?

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:13 pm

Tilltech wrote:Are people that bored with themselves?
They sure are. Although slightly off-topic I suspect the Oral B Genius 8000 RGB electric toothbrush is a case in point. "...It can also be programmed through the Oral-B smartphone app to illuminate with your choice of 12 colors as you brush...". Yep couldn't live without it.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:15 am

My motherboard / video card / RAM / case / keyboard / mouse / mouse pad - HAVE SPARKLES!

Gunbuster

Post by Gunbuster » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:00 am

I totally get the RGB look and the people that don't.

I've had the Fractal Define R2 since it came out 7 years ago. Since then there has been an explosion of pretty minimal designed cases. If you really just want a plain rectangle with a power button that is there for you.

I guess for me looking at the sparkles, I am seeing what I don't have which is kind of the flashy modded car next to my boring Volvo. I'm 39 later this year, so its probably early onset mid-life crisis.

We have always had something tacky around PC cases and building. At least with RGB Motherboards etc, you just turn the lights off and have a plain monochrome look. Unlike the old DFI Lanparty https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/mothe ... 5-review/2

Tempered glass I also get, it tends to be more scratch resistant than acrylic.

My mate got a Phanteks Evolv ATX TGL, it has some nice padding between the case body and the glass. I don't like how restricted the intake is, but its MUCH better than the V1 ITX that SPCR reviewed.

Most of the cases at Compute 2017 seem to be remixes of previous cases, rather than totally new cases. Kind of makes sense to slap some RGB on and a TGlass side panel and make some extra money.

According to Skinflint we had 229 Black ATX cases come out last year (to avoid colour dupes) . 2/3 having windows, 10% having integrated noise dampening and 10% integrated RGB. Really not so bad. Its not like all the RGB glass sparkles are coming at the expense of more reserved styles. Besides we are also getting cases that are basically passive heatsinks now!

As the saying goes "you do you"

Peace everyone

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:22 am

Don't get me wrong - my case has a window, and my motherboard and video card have lights. My keyboard here at work have RGB - which I using to differentiate areas, making it easier to do my work. My mouse here at work also has RGB - but I don't use it, to extend its battery life.

neocodex

Post by neocodex » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:10 am

I'm not sure if the OP question is about whole cases made of tempered glass (haven't seen many of those personally but I think it's really unnecessary and over the top), however tempered glass itself is a way better choice for side windows. I don't want to ever have a cheap plastic window again on my case, had it once, and it was full of scratches. It became really ugly because over the years, so never again. If it has to have a window, it's tempered glass or bust for me so I give the glass a +1 if used as a side window.

And for RGB, I wasn't a fan before, but lately I've seen some really tasteful builds, and I also dig how simple ROG Aura designs are as well. All you have to do is plug your ROG components into ROG motherboard and it looks neat AF. Just please no RGB fans. The whole Asus minimalistic Aura conept made me consider getting a window case for my next build just because it really does look good this time. But things like RGB fans are still puke inducing for me.

Gunbuster

Post by Gunbuster » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:19 pm

RGB, can be useful and nice, a bit like a desktop wallpaper really.

I agree with the glass thing, I think I would like better mounting, so it seals better around the side and is easier to open/close.

Like the Inwin 303 mounting with the seal of the Phanteks Evolv ATX. The Evolv MATX TGL has a nice seal. http://www.phanteks.com/images/product/ ... ATX-8z.jpg

Does make me wonder if double glazing would even be possible in something like the KL07.
I guess that would be horrific to transport though.

Nazgul

Post by Nazgul » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:28 pm

I don't have anything against tempered glass side panels per se, but I really don't understand it when manufacturers don't offer an option with no glass at all (e.g. Phantex Evolve).

grant2

Post by grant2 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:45 pm

Single pane tempered glass probably doesn't offer much better or worse noise isolation than single pane metal or single pane acrylic.

if you want a window which blocks noise you probably have to be looking for double or triple pane laminated glass, which is not very realistic in a computer case.