Potential upgrade

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

traceracute

Potential upgrade

Post by traceracute » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:34 pm

I'm using a Scythe Kotetsu on my 6700k and while it's nice and quiet, I'd like to start overclocking my i7.

I already hit 62 degrees in most games at 4ghz, so I'm afraid my Kotetsu wouldn't be enough for a 4.5ghz OC.

Noctua coolers look nice, but a bit heavy and ugly. I'm considering getting a Dark Rock 4 (non-pro) or a Cryorig H7.

What do you guys think?

Abula

Re: Potential upgrade

Post by Abula » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:41 pm

If you dont like noctua, go with Thermalright, has a lot of coolers to chose from, including good value ones like True Spirit 140 Power (if you can clear the height) or Macho RevB, both are around $50 and are good bang for the buck, if you wish to spend more LeGrandMacho but you wont gain much on load, this cooler where it pulls ahead is at low rpms where it performs better, but at high rpms (and by high i mean above 800rpms) the performance is very similar between the three, maybe a degree or two.

If you were to delid your cpu, you could hit 4.5ghz without changing the cooler and and its very likely it will end up quieter.

traceracute

Post by traceracute » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:57 pm

Abula wrote:If you dont like noctua, go with Thermalright, has a lot of coolers to chose from, including good value ones like True Spirit 140 Power (if you can clear the height) or Macho RevB, both are around $50 and are good bang for the buck, if you wish to spend more LeGrandMacho but you wont gain much on load, this cooler where it pulls ahead is at low rpms where it performs better, but at high rpms (and by high i mean above 800rpms) the performance is very similar between the three, maybe a degree or two.

If you were to delid your cpu, you could hit 4.5ghz without changing the cooler and and its very likely it will end up quieter.
Thanks for the suggestions.

I was also considering adding a Kaze Flex 120 PWM fan and replacing the stock one. I know the Mark II Kotetsu comes with this fan. Do you think it'll help even slightly?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:48 am

traceracute wrote:I was also considering adding a Kaze Flex 120 PWM fan and replacing the stock one. I know the Mark II Kotetsu comes with this fan. Do you think it'll help even slightly?
Probably not enough to make a noticeable difference. Something else to look at - is there enough airflow through the case to get rid of the cumulative heat?

If you have a "good" CPU, you won't need a lot of extra voltage to get to 4.5GHz. That's the killer for power/heat. Call it a 7-10C increase for 1.225V.

doyll

Post by doyll » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:54 am

What is your case airflow like? Ideally, what is the air temp going into cooler compared to room ambient? Many stock case fans / case fan setups cannot supply the cool air cooler need and they end up using heated exhaust air that is 5-10c even 20c warmer than room .. and every degree warmer the air is going into cooler translates into about a degree hotter CPU (or GPU) will be.

Simple low cost way to monitor is basic digital indoor/out door thermometer with wired remote as discribed at end of post in this link: viewtopic.php?p=608016#p608016

traceracute

Post by traceracute » Tue May 08, 2018 3:28 pm

Hey guys sorry it's been a while.

Do you guys think a Dark Rock 4 (Non Pro) would be an upgrade over a Kotetsu. I don't know why but I've been noticing the noise on my Kotetsu lately as well.