Define R5 + BL067 fans

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Hammond

Define R5 + BL067 fans

Post by Hammond » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:09 pm

Hello. Anyone using SilentWings 3 PWM 140mm fans on Fractal Design Define R5 case? I already have the case, now I want to buy three of those fans (two front intake, one exhaust at the back), but I'm not sure if they will fit.

Abula

Re: Define R5 + BL067 fans

Post by Abula » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:28 pm

Hammond wrote:Hello. Anyone using SilentWings 3 PWM 140mm fans on Fractal Design Define R5 case? I already have the case, now I want to buy three of those fans (two front intake, one exhaust at the back), but I'm not sure if they will fit.
I don't own a R5, had R4 and own R6, both can fit BL067, and the specs of the R5 says it can fit 2x 140s on the front, what makes you doubt it they wont fit?

Remember to test the included fans first, from SPCR Quiet ATX Gamer, R5 Version
Fan Swap?
We noted that the stock Fractal R4 case fans could be upgraded with quieter fans. Is it worthwhile to try that with the quieter R5 fans? Let's compare the R4 and R5 fans to the Antec TrueQuiet 140 we suggested as an upgrade candidate before. These are new measurements with each fan soft-mounted by itself outside the case, with the mic 1m away from the intake side of the fan. (The Antec fan's top speed is just under 800 RPM, which is why its 870 RPM box is blank.)

This is a revelation. The stock R5 fan is at least as quiet as the Antec TrueQuiet 140, which is one of the quietest we've measured. So there's no benefit at all to swapping out the R5 fans. They are as quiet any 140mm fans we've heard.

Hammond

Post by Hammond » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:23 pm

I've read somewhere, that someone had problems mounting them in this case. Mounting points of the fans not matching those on the case, or something like that. I can't find this post though. I will order them and give it a try.

I have this case for a few years now, I don't like the sound of the stock fans. I also tried Noctua NF-A14 FLX 140mm fans, but didn't like them either. Last week I bought Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler, which have two Silent Wings fans, and these feels much better; so I hope I'll be happy with Silent Wings case fans too.

Thank you for the answer.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:56 am

As i said, i don't own the R5 to guarantee it will fit, but i don't see a reason why it shouldn't given it fits the R4 and R6, if you find the thread/post, ill be interested on reading the issue.

If you can, share your experience with the BL067, i also didn't like the tone on the Fractals around 800rpm but at 400rpm i couldn't tell they were on, really depends on each particular tolerances and preferences.

ThePrussianPrince

Post by ThePrussianPrince » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:38 pm

Abula wrote:As i said, i don't own the R5 to guarantee it will fit, but i don't see a reason why it shouldn't given it fits the R4 and R6, if you find the thread/post, ill be interested on reading the issue.

If you can, share your experience with the BL067, i also didn't like the tone on the Fractals around 800rpm but at 400rpm i couldn't tell they were on, really depends on each particular tolerances and preferences.
The BL067 fit my Fractal R5. However, they did not fit using the rubber corners unfortunately, I had to use the hard plastic corners.

Hammond

Post by Hammond » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:15 am

OK, it's like ThePrussianPrince said. Front ones mounted with hard plastic fittings and r5 screws, exhaust on the back with rubber fittings and pins from be quiet. In this configuration there is no problem mounting them.
Abula wrote:If you can, share your experience with the BL067, i also didn't like the tone on the Fractals around 800rpm but at 400rpm i couldn't tell they were on, really depends on each particular tolerances and preferences.
Fans themselves are actually great. I ditched the splitter from dark rock pro 4, to have better control of cpu fans (bigger one is 1200 rpm max, smaller one 1500 rpm max). At idle I keep all the fans around 400 rpm which is pretty much inaudiable from where I sit, and get cpu temps around 35 degrees. At full synthetic load with all the fans around 600 rpm, temps are around 65 – 75 degrees, which is perfectly fine for ryzen 3700x. Sound at this speed is unintrusive, no ticking, no vibration, just quiet steady hum of moving air. At full speed (little below 1000 rpm) and cpu fans matching that speed, it gets louder of course, but characteristics of the sound is the same. To summarize, I'm very happy with both – BL067 fans and fans that came with dark rock pro 4.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:51 pm

ThePrussianPrince wrote:The BL067 fit my Fractal R5. However, they did not fit using the rubber corners unfortunately, I had to use the hard plastic corners.
Thanks for sharing the issue, for me it wasnt, i honestly never though the rubber was for case fans, i always have used the hard corners that have rubber inserts to me they work out fine.
Hammond wrote:Fans themselves are actually great. I ditched the splitter from dark rock pro 4, to have better control of cpu fans (bigger one is 1200 rpm max, smaller one 1500 rpm max). At idle I keep all the fans around 400 rpm which is pretty much inaudiable from where I sit, and get cpu temps around 35 degrees. At full synthetic load with all the fans around 600 rpm, temps are around 65 – 75 degrees, which is perfectly fine for ryzen 3700x. Sound at this speed is unintrusive, no ticking, no vibration, just quiet steady hum of moving air. At full speed (little below 1000 rpm) and cpu fans matching that speed, it gets louder of course, but characteristics of the sound is the same. To summarize, I'm very happy with both – BL067 fans and fans that came with dark rock pro 4.
Glad it work out for you, the BL067 are also my gotto fan for 140 =P