Search found 134 matches

by yefi
Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:20 pm
Forum: Silent Storage
Topic: Optical Drive
Replies: 3
Views: 2067

Re: Optical Drive

The two major brands I'm seeing as available are Lite-On and Asus. Could someone please recommend a specific (model number) optical drive which they feel is quiet and reliable? Thanks. I'm pretty sure all the Asus drives are re-badges. For example, the 24B3ST on Amazon atm is actually a LiteOn iHas...
by yefi
Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:48 pm
Forum: Silent Storage
Topic: Harddrive screw broke off :(
Replies: 7
Views: 3173

Re: Harddrive screw broke off :(

andyb wrote:The only thing that you can do is to drill out the screw which is risky for your own safety
I think the health and safety officer at wherever you work totally has you asswhiped :wink:
by yefi
Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:44 pm
Forum: Silent Storage
Topic: SSD MLC Based HD use in old laptops. Will it [STUTTER]?
Replies: 33
Views: 16395

Re: SSD MLC Based HD use in old laptops. Will it [STUTTER]?

OK another year has gone by and still using the same laptop configuration with my trusty Windows 2000 and Transcend 64GB IDE SSD. I've been trying to keep updated on SSD technology and it appears that virtually 99% of the manufacturers are only interested in SATA. Use a compact IDE-SATA bridge . If...
by yefi
Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:22 am
Forum: Silent Storage
Topic: Are SSDs really that bad?
Replies: 46
Views: 15118

Re: Are SSDs really that bad?

...I am waiting for them to be More reliable (sorry my own experience is not very good in this regard)... I don't consider my own personal experience to be a representative sample, however we do have some useful info on return rates from a major etailer . HDD return rate averages 2.09% and SSD aver...
by yefi
Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:02 pm
Forum: Silent Storage
Topic: Are SSDs really that bad?
Replies: 46
Views: 15118

Re: Are SSDs really that bad?

Mr Spocko wrote:I would put money down right now that on average a HDD will outlast an SSD easily. That may change down the road, but right now that's my view of things.
Just curious, but how much money are you willing to put down?
by yefi
Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:56 am
Forum: Silent Storage
Topic: Are SSDs really that bad?
Replies: 46
Views: 15118

Re: Are SSDs really that bad?

Although if I was to buy a new SSD now I would be looking at the 256GB Samsung 830 for £150 including VAT because its very fast and is known to be reliable and if far cheaper than a 256GB Intel drive. Andy It's even cheaper with the £20 Samsung cash back offer. And to think I paid nearly £300 for m...
by yefi
Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:28 am
Forum: SPCR Article Discussion
Topic: be quiet! Dark Rock 2 Tower Heatsink
Replies: 45
Views: 19232

Re: be quiet! Dark Rock 2 Tower Heatsink

You can see that every other test is completely at odds with the SPCR result which makes it a true outlier . Well you can't cross compare the results from different sites. Or you are trying to say that only SPCR gave a bad review, therefore implying that only SPCR is wrong? Well you should focus on...
by yefi
Fri May 18, 2012 7:04 pm
Forum: Power Supplies
Topic: enermax modu 82+ noisy fan
Replies: 66
Views: 44002

Re: enermax modu 82+ noisy fan

edh wrote:The Enermax Modu82+ is rubbish.
Had this psu and the chattering fan problem like others. Emailed Enermax about replacement fan and no response. Suffice to say my next PSU isn't an Enermax and doesn't use a cheap, proprietary fan.
by yefi
Fri May 18, 2012 6:42 pm
Forum: Video Cards & Monitors
Topic: GTX 670 launched
Replies: 38
Views: 14808

Re: GTX 670 launched

When idle the three fans on the Windforce only spin at 700rpm I'm seriously impressed with it I replaced an Asus GTX DirectCU 560ti with this card and I'm really impressed too. I have two 120mm Akasa Apache case fans (~800rpm idle), and I can't hear it over them. The fans on the DirectCU only went ...
by yefi
Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:26 pm
Forum: Power Supplies
Topic: Dell H255E 255W 80+ Silver PSU
Replies: 23
Views: 16136

Re: Dell H255E 255W 80+ Silver PSU

Just got the Dell H255E-00 from ebay for £20 where it was being sold as the FR607. I am waiting on a couple of power adapters before I test it out. Hopefully, it will compare favourably to the overpowered Modu 82+ 425W I'm running with atm. I will also test it against the 120W picopsu + 150W brick (...
by yefi
Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:39 pm
Forum: Off Topic
Topic: Modern Phrases That Confuse Me
Replies: 92
Views: 23006

"Touching base" may not confuse me, but it sure does send a shiver up my back when it's suggested to me.
by yefi
Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:56 pm
Forum: Off Topic
Topic: Firefox Help
Replies: 2
Views: 905

Put this on your Bookmarks Toolbar: chrome://passwordmgr/content/passwordManager.xul
by yefi
Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:13 pm
Forum: SPCR Article Discussion
Topic: Zotac GeForce 9300-ITX WiFi: Good Things Come in Small Packa
Replies: 57
Views: 38518

I guess it all depends on whether or not they put the proper hardware in place for dual-link support. If they did, a BIOS update could enable the feature. If not, though, they'd have to release a new revision of the hardware. This is exactly what has happened. According to this post , only PCB revi...
by yefi
Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:08 pm
Forum: Off Topic
Topic: Worst pimple EVER
Replies: 33
Views: 10146

But seriously, where else do you go for advice on matters medical/legal/financial/building/mechanical/etc. etc.? Your mate in the pub? Relying on expert advice when you know no better is not a bad idea. Insisting they are right is too much however; really the best you can say is: "I don't know." An...
by yefi
Fri May 29, 2009 4:20 pm
Forum: Off Topic
Topic: Worst pimple EVER
Replies: 33
Views: 10146

I reckon the first thing you said was explicit. Or did you just change your tune when you got pulled up by a proper doctor? Hopefully any dietitians or nutritionists reading that will not take too much offense at that slur on their training and professionalism. That no doctor would use pubmed is bi...
by yefi
Thu May 28, 2009 7:42 pm
Forum: Off Topic
Topic: Worst pimple EVER
Replies: 33
Views: 10146

Depending on your point of view, the highest level of accuracy is done either by a randomized controlled clinical trial (a.k.a. Phase III) or a meta-analysis of randomized controlled clinical trials. Phase three trials seek to eliminate as many factors as possible from the question being asked. You...
by yefi
Wed May 27, 2009 6:25 pm
Forum: Off Topic
Topic: Worst pimple EVER
Replies: 33
Views: 10146

Sorry, but if the best you can do is point me to a study which the authors themselves admit is inconclusive, you won't convince me. The experiment wasn't inconclusive. An inconclusive experiment would have results that neither could nor could not link diet. You are confusing the opinions of the sci...
by yefi
Wed May 27, 2009 5:38 pm
Forum: Off Topic
Topic: Win 7, what compels you to upgrade?
Replies: 112
Views: 22182

Re: Win 7, what compels you to upgrade?

Audio: 16bit calculations, no global frequency setting. By 16-bit calculations do you mean 16-bit sampling? 16-bit audio won't be a problem for most people. It's pretty much what all MP3s are encoded at. Even DVD-A at 24-bit, you won't notice the difference unless you have an audio card with a high...
by yefi
Wed May 27, 2009 5:21 pm
Forum: Off Topic
Topic: Win 7, what compels you to upgrade?
Replies: 112
Views: 22182

Because we want to get more work done faster, preferably without having to intervene manually once it runs :) An example: If I want to scale all my images in a folder to 1024x768 all it takes is mkdir scaled for file in `ls *.jpg`; do convert $file -resize 1024x768 scaled/$file done Nothing can be ...
by yefi
Wed May 27, 2009 9:43 am
Forum: Off Topic
Topic: Do you know people who love to steal your time ?
Replies: 18
Views: 4846

If anything I'm on their side. I think we make an assumption that the problem lies with the individual and that they need to accommodate society in some way rather than society needing to accommodate them. Like handing sedatives to the men on the front lines of the trenches during WWI may make them ...
by yefi
Wed May 27, 2009 9:15 am
Forum: Off Topic
Topic: Worst pimple EVER
Replies: 33
Views: 10146

People in underdeveloped countries also tend to be outside more Yes, we really don't get much sun exposure. I mean, I have pale skin as an evolutionary adaptation just so I can absorb more sunlight at higher latitudes, and here I am covering myself in clothes. To be sure, we get cereals and milk fo...
by yefi
Wed May 27, 2009 9:08 am
Forum: Off Topic
Topic: Worst pimple EVER
Replies: 33
Views: 10146

No, you're wrong. There is no evidence that this is the case. How can you justify saying that the medical profession is wrong? Do you have evidence? Research results? The scientific methodology is great. You can go to pubmed etc and find lots of useful studies. However, if you know anything about t...
by yefi
Tue May 26, 2009 2:23 pm
Forum: Off Topic
Topic: Worst pimple EVER
Replies: 33
Views: 10146

People don't know this but they have a lot to do with eating habits. A lot of "health professionals" (triple quotations needed) say that diet doesn't affect acne. They are wrong, and it does. I said pimples are correlated to GDP, because in less industrializsed countries it's hardly known. That mea...
by yefi
Tue May 26, 2009 2:15 pm
Forum: Off Topic
Topic: Do you know people who love to steal your time ?
Replies: 18
Views: 4846

The point of the label is to help the person by making them fit back comfortably into their society. Well, to fit back comfortably in a pair of trousers, you can either lose weight or you can buy a larger waistline. But during a clinical assessment I don't think the question is asked if they are the...
by yefi
Mon May 25, 2009 11:52 am
Forum: Off Topic
Topic: Worst pimple EVER
Replies: 33
Views: 10146

Pimples are strongly correlated to GDP.
by yefi
Mon May 25, 2009 11:38 am
Forum: Off Topic
Topic: Do you know people who love to steal your time ?
Replies: 18
Views: 4846

Your response was interesting because you said their specific socio-economic/work group. Yet, that is an artificial construct. Our genes have no knowledge of salesmen or postmen. These roles are imposed on us by our society, and most people internalise them. However, who is to say that it isn't the ...
by yefi
Sun May 24, 2009 3:19 pm
Forum: Off Topic
Topic: Do you know people who love to steal your time ?
Replies: 18
Views: 4846

Ehh, kind of; for it to be considered a personality disorder is has to interfere with their ability to function in daily life. An aggressive trait may have been very beneficial to the individual functioning in his or her daily life in our primeval past. Yet that same trait could easily interfere wi...
by yefi
Sat May 23, 2009 12:56 pm
Forum: Off Topic
Topic: Do you know people who love to steal your time ?
Replies: 18
Views: 4846

Me being overly curious and my GF being a psychology doctorate student, we tend to have far too many conversations where we reference the DSM :oops: Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the definition of a disorder relative to the average personality type. So that if the average personality were very...
by yefi
Sat May 23, 2009 12:17 pm
Forum: Off Topic
Topic: If you could ask God one question ...
Replies: 357
Views: 119106

m0002a wrote:This is the second time that Cov thinks he is God.
The weaker he becomes, the closer to God he feels.

Ah, I just realized that explains why people sometimes feel God when they're dying. That is the point at which they are at their weakest...
by yefi
Sat May 23, 2009 12:15 pm
Forum: Off Topic
Topic: If you could ask God one question ...
Replies: 357
Views: 119106

Cov wrote:
yefi wrote:I see no reason why God shouldn't be.
I see no reason why God should be.
I can. It would answer that age-old conundrum could God create a rock so heavy that God could not lift it. Sure can, because God can't lift most rocks. Even struggles with pebbles.