Search found 735 matches

by danimal
Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:37 am
Forum: System Advice / Troubleshooting
Topic: new i5-760 gaming/multipurpose build
Replies: 15
Views: 1605

the coolermaster is $20 at frys right now, if you can find one in stock... you could get the mugen2 for $40, and it has a better fan than the coolermaster does. imho, the 470 isn't worth that much money... but it also depends on what games you are playing? you can never have too much video card for ...
by danimal
Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:28 am
Forum: SPCR Article Discussion
Topic: Antec TruePower New TP-750
Replies: 19
Views: 7996

How noisy is the Antec Earthwatts 750 power supply if one were to put it in an Antec P180 case? i have the earthwatts 750 in a p182, the fan noise is very noticeable, even at idle. spend more for the tp-750 that's covered in this review, it's worth it. i went for the cp-850 on my latest build, whic...
by danimal
Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:35 pm
Forum: CPU Cooling
Topic: Heatsink w reference fan gives CPU temps > 70 C?
Replies: 4
Views: 738

Re: Heatsink w reference fan gives CPU temps > 70 C?

I know the figures are for full CPU load, ususally not used, but for gaming this comes into play, hence my concern. last time i looked, spcr tested heat sinks at stock clocks, which means that the cooler being used is largely irrelevant, in terms of the temps... because of that, all of their temp n...
by danimal
Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:11 pm
Forum: System Advice / Troubleshooting
Topic: Do I need to return my i7?
Replies: 16
Views: 1817

45c idle, and prime95 hit 95c in a few seconds with no signs of slowing down, so I just stopped the test.... Vcore is "auto", not set to anything specific. In anycase, CPUz shows Vcore as 1.15V under load. 95c in seconds, at 1.15v under load, indicates that something is seriously wrong with the cpu...
by danimal
Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:01 pm
Forum: System Advice / Troubleshooting
Topic: newbie with new system questions
Replies: 8
Views: 1217

In my initial investigations I learned the the chose cpu (I7) was notoriously warm so I looked for a case with maximum air flow. Even idling my cores are running about 48-52C which seems about 10C to warm, but acceptable. cpu idle temps are meaningless, temps under 100% load is the standard of meas...
by danimal
Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:06 pm
Forum: CPUs and Motherboards
Topic: Do 4 Pin PWM Fan Headers Need PWM Fans to Control Speed?
Replies: 4
Views: 1458

Re: Do 4 Pin PWM Fan Headers Need PWM Fans to Control Speed?

Operandi wrote:I'm looking to build a new system and most of the boards I am looking at now have a 4 pin PWM header for the main system fan.
is it the cpu fan? because most mb's don't have more than one pwm-controlled fan header, everything else uses a three-pin connector.
by danimal
Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:21 pm
Forum: Cases and Damping
Topic: Idea for next update to P18X line - red LEDs
Replies: 61
Views: 5388

It does appear that the Mini P180 sold better than the P183 on NewEgg. Why Antec does things, and their future plans with either case, are unknown to me. that's not an answer. as you were told earlier in this thread, the mini p180 was discontinued because it obviously didn't sell as well as the p18...
by danimal
Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:16 pm
Forum: System Advice / Troubleshooting
Topic: Another HTPC-Gaming build...
Replies: 10
Views: 1686

The silver arrow works fanless on an I7 ? thanks "It's an impressive feat seeing heatsinks passively cooling an i7, especially when it's overclocked to 4GHz! Of course, having good airflow is of utmost importance but it certainly helps reduce noise levels whilst maintaining temperatures. Its[silver...
by danimal
Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:52 pm
Forum: System Advice / Troubleshooting
Topic: Need your opinion on this system. Very quiet gaming comp.
Replies: 13
Views: 1865

Re: How about this

- Scythe Mugen 2 rev B (with a Nexus 120 mm fan) read the spcr mugen2 review, the scythe factory fan is the best and quietest fan for that cooler... it has more top end, where quieter fans run out of gas. i really liked my mugen2, best bang for the buck there is, but the thermalright silver arrow i...
by danimal
Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:43 pm
Forum: Cases and Damping
Topic: Idea for next update to P18X line - red LEDs
Replies: 61
Views: 5388

the p183 hasn't been discontinued, in fact, it was recently upgraded with ssd mounts and a cpu access hole in the motherboard mounting plate. When did I say the P183 was discontinued? I was referring to the Mini P180. nobody claimed otherwise. you keep telling us that the mini p180 is a better choi...
by danimal
Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:07 pm
Forum: Cases and Damping
Topic: Idea for next update to P18X line - red LEDs
Replies: 61
Views: 5388

Those who have purchased the Mini P180 seem to be just as satisfied as those who bought a P183, and it appears that a lot more people have purchased the Mini P180. the p183 hasn't been discontinued, in fact, it was recently upgraded with ssd mounts and a cpu access hole in the motherboard mounting ...
by danimal
Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:03 pm
Forum: Cases and Damping
Topic: Idea for next update to P18X line - red LEDs
Replies: 61
Views: 5388

m0002a wrote:BTW, even though the case is discontinued at Newegg
you contradict yourself once again.

the p183 hasn't been discontinued, in fact, it was recently upgraded with ssd mounts and a cpu access hole in the motherboard mounting plate.
by danimal
Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:55 pm
Forum: Cases and Damping
Topic: Idea for next update to P18X line - red LEDs
Replies: 61
Views: 5388

m0002a wrote:BTW, even though the case is discontinued at Newegg
you contradict yourself once again.

the p183 hasn't been discontinued, in fact, it was recently upgraded with ssd mounts and a cpu access hole in the motherboard mounting plate.
by danimal
Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:50 pm
Forum: Cases and Damping
Topic: Idea for next update to P18X line - red LEDs
Replies: 61
Views: 5388

KayDat wrote:Thanks for the personal attack by the way. Note I never said anything personal about you at all. Oink.
m0002a does that sort of thing when he's losing an argument, lol.
by danimal
Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:46 pm
Forum: Cases and Damping
Topic: Idea for next update to P18X line - red LEDs
Replies: 61
Views: 5388

When you have a large fan, you can run it slower, and with less noise. you are essentially claiming that the 200mm fan is better than the spcr editors choice nexus fan, which i doubt that anyone is going to believe. that 200mm hole on the top of the case will let more noise out, and removing the fa...
by danimal
Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:12 pm
Forum: CPU Cooling
Topic: P180 + noctua D14
Replies: 13
Views: 2250

the silver arrow rocks... frozencpu.com has it, and they ship to canada, but it's probably not cheap... i got it here, but i'm not sure if they ship to canada?:
http://www.svc.com/silverarrow.html
by danimal
Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:01 pm
Forum: General Gallery
Topic: Another Solo Build
Replies: 23
Views: 6875

Re: Another Solo Build

stress testing was done with prime 95, furmark, and ATI tool Load temps: corre 0. 73 1. 72 2. 72 3. 70 pull the side off of the case, and run the same stress tests... if the temps go down, there isn't enough air going through the case. the video card test to use is occt, which is based on furmark, ...
by danimal
Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:33 pm
Forum: Video Cards & Monitors
Topic: Thermalright Shaman - I want one!
Replies: 13
Views: 3673

we need to see what vrm heat sinks are included, before passing judgement on how well it cools the rest of the card.
by danimal
Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:30 pm
Forum: Cases and Damping
Topic: Idea for next update to P18X line - red LEDs
Replies: 61
Views: 5388

m0002a wrote:I will never even use all the expansion capacity of the Mini P180 or uATX board.
further proof that you bought the wrong case for your computer build.

the mini p180 is big, and it has a big fan that's designed to move a lot of air... it's designed for high-performance.
by danimal
Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:25 pm
Forum: Cases and Damping
Topic: Idea for next update to P18X line - red LEDs
Replies: 61
Views: 5388

As I explained previously, with the 200 mm top fan (at low speed and almost inaudible) I can run my CPU cooler passively (that's right, no fan on the CPU cooler). CPU idles at 21C. spcr readers have done passive cooling many times, with a smaller case, that doesn't have a big noisy fan on top. Don'...
by danimal
Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:23 pm
Forum: Off Topic
Topic: Longest UPTIME on your destop PC?
Replies: 57
Views: 12244

I am not covering up anything. I agreed a long time ago that WD no longer has a spec for start/stop, even though Seagate still does. i proved that your start/stop spec is obsolete, which renders anything favorable you say about it pretty worthless. That a cold boot increments Load/Unload is not hyp...
by danimal
Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:06 pm
Forum: Video Cards & Monitors
Topic: GTS 450 launched, various versions available, fanless too
Replies: 23
Views: 5062

no one runs SLI. i do, and it kicks butt: " Whether this is worth the trouble is up for you to decide. What is crystal clear however is that the dual GTX 460 setup offers considerably more performance than a single GTX 480 card, up by 23%." http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_460_...
by danimal
Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:36 pm
Forum: Cases and Damping
Topic: Idea for next update to P18X line - red LEDs
Replies: 61
Views: 5388

[1. The general argument here seems to be that since the Mini P180 mATX is about the same size as most other ATX cases, that one should instead get an even larger P183 ATX case, even if you don't need it. This makes no logical sense to me, gee, that's funny logic, because you bought a p180 with a g...
by danimal
Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:47 pm
Forum: Video Cards & Monitors
Topic: GTS 450 launched, various versions available, fanless too
Replies: 23
Views: 5062

It seems like the only competitive card Nvidia was able to offer this generation was the 460, which targetted the only weak point in AMD's lineup. much bigger than one weak spot; 460's in sli dominates nearly all of the amd lineup. the other place where nvidia dominates is in driver support, which ...
by danimal
Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:33 pm
Forum: Cases and Damping
Topic: Idea for next update to P18X line - red LEDs
Replies: 61
Views: 5388

the Mini P180 is much smaller than a P183 (which is the real comparison that should be made). The height difference (2 inches) for the P183 and Mini P180. 2 inches = "much smaller" riiight. Getting a P183 seems ridiculous to me since I will have only one adapter card (video), one optical drive, one...
by danimal
Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:17 pm
Forum: System Advice / Troubleshooting
Topic: Another HTPC-Gaming build...
Replies: 10
Views: 1686

the solo is obsolete, p183 would be a better bet, if you can handle the size. 28" home theatre monitor is way too small, unless it's in front of you on a desk... plasma has much better blacks than an lcd. the silver arrow cools better than the Megahalems. i would not waste money on a bluray burner, ...
by danimal
Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:13 pm
Forum: System Advice / Troubleshooting
Topic: New SILENT computer - overly high temps?
Replies: 27
Views: 5612

76 degree centigrade cpu temps will not harm the chip, it's not a problem.

those gpu temps could be an issue, tho.
by danimal
Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:07 pm
Forum: Off Topic
Topic: Longest UPTIME on your destop PC?
Replies: 57
Views: 12244

I have repeatedly said that load/unload includes other things besides a start/stop which of course makes load/unload useless as a start/stop counter; your attempt to cover up for your false claim that "all" drives have a start/stop spec is a failure. But if stop posting irrelevant hypothetical garb...
by danimal
Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:11 pm
Forum: Off Topic
Topic: Longest UPTIME on your destop PC?
Replies: 57
Views: 12244

Every time you cold boot a system, the Load/Unload Cycle count is incremented. that doesn't account for the possibility that the load/unload count is incremented for reasons other than a cold boot... which of course makes load/unload useless as a start/stop counter; your attempt to cover up for you...
by danimal
Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:21 pm
Forum: Off Topic
Topic: Longest UPTIME on your destop PC?
Replies: 57
Views: 12244

There is a load/unload cycle count spec that does exist, and in effect supersedes the start/stop because each start or stop is one load/unload. I am glad that we finally agree and can now move on. no, you keep claiming that both are the same, which of course would mean that there would be no need f...