How NOT to apply AS5

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ahrbruz
*Lifetime Patron*

How NOT to apply AS5

Post by ahrbruz » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:33 pm

Thought this would produce a smile or two. Cited from threads in geographically distant forums. My quotation marks.

“Just tried to put a zalman silent heatsink jobbie on it, in the process cover 2 t-shirts in as5 (which i used nearly a whole tube on) my contact lense went back in my socket (i rubbed my eye) and i had problems removing thermal paste from my hands to mess with it, was in pain too. I booted the pc, crashed as it got in windblows.A screw was cross threaded, was causing low pressure on the GPU. I had to use pliers to remove the screw took 30+mins and now the card doesnt work at all :'(

shopping for a 9800 pro atm”

….and, to strike fear into the heart of every SPCR member:

“Im making a super overclocking rig. How effective would an electric leaf blower be if I mounted it on a thermalright sp97?”

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Re: How NOT to apply AS5

Post by lenny » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:04 pm

ahrbruz wrote:….and, to strike fear into the heart of every SPCR member:

“Im making a super overclocking rig. How effective would an electric leaf blower be if I mounted it on a thermalright sp97?”
Oh my poor aching stomach! Best one I've heard in a while.

I did see a mod in Maximum PC where someone used a supercharger to blow air into a case.

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:23 pm

You just can't make this stuff up! Thanks for the laugh, ahrbruz. :D

trodas

Post by trodas » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:56 am

Its true, that AC5 is much harder to apply right that the AC3, however for some peoples the advice is - stay away from diassembling computers at all times :wink: :lol:

chylld

Post by chylld » Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:24 am

crikey! how on earth some people have trouble applying as5 is totally beyond me. as5 was the first thermal paste i have ever applied, and in fact i am still on the same tube, and it has been a totally painless and trivial experience.

gosh...

ForTension

Post by ForTension » Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:33 am

Remember, this is a guy to have fun with. Start PMing him with ideas about hooking up an ice cube dispenser to his heatsink for a kewl OC.

aston

Re: How NOT to apply AS5

Post by aston » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:01 pm

ahrbruz wrote:“Im making a super overclocking rig. How effective would an electric leaf blower be if I mounted it on a thermalright sp97?”
Depends on the leaf blower. With the right one, you could probably blow the SP97 to smithereens. :lol:

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:57 pm

Sounds like an episode of Home Improvement.

~cut to the 'Tool Time' stage~

"Hey Al.....today, where gonna show the audience how to cool down their over clocked PC. Of course, I needed a 'bit' more power then just regular fans. Let me go get the Volkswagon engine fired up......"

Al shakes his head in amusement.

trodas

Post by trodas » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:24 am

ForTension - ROFL :lol: I definitively agree, however first make sure that the person is not a admin or don't have a friend, what is admin on such forum, because you can then ger easily baned :?
I know it for myself - i allways being a bit too much funny, provocative and writing exactly what i thinking, and admins did not like when you make funn from them :lol:
I jsut got banned for this from certain forum :lol:

alglove

Post by alglove » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:44 am

trodas wrote:I jsut got banned for this from certain forum :lol:
I thought it was because you used up all the smileys :wink: , and there were none left for anyone else! :twisted:

Hey, what did anyone else on that forum think of the electric leaf blower? Sounds like a pretty pimp idea! 8) 8) 8)

HadroLepton

Post by HadroLepton » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:27 pm

i would decouple the leaf blower. that would definitely help reduce the vibration

trodas

Post by trodas » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:39 pm

alglove - ha! :lol: You might nailed it, friend! :lol: They are just affraid i eat up all the smileys alive, so they better say im offender and banned me :lol:
Well, this forum have better spirit - at least i hope :lol: But i quess that offending admins is still a big no-no :lol:
(even i just into OT section commented the signatures in especially funny way :lol: )

Anyway, the idea about electric leaf blower is fantastic :twisted: I might try suggest it to similar fool :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

...and, wait, I just got evil idea, what to suggest for the advanced fools! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

...what about a pass-trough type fan, (like this one:
) with two Delta 120mm fans in push-pull way, driven by at least 17 V? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

...when he is lucky, the cooler with the CPU will just break lose and fly away from the computer :lol: :lol: :lol:
...and when he is unlucky, he lost whole computer and it will fly, fly far, far away :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

frosty

Post by frosty » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:42 pm

Once before I spread some AS I was just reading the instructions at work and the as was at home, but I recall the part about watching out for your mouth and eyes. then ten minutes later I rub my eyes and get all paranoid I has As on my hands which of course i did not yet!

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:32 pm

HadroLepton wrote:i would decouple the leaf blower. that would definitely help reduce the vibration
Oh don't forget to undervolt it too. Since it runs of AC, a step down transformer should do it.

While you're at it, I have this great idea about magnetic suspension of hard drives to reduce HDD vibration and seek noise :-)

trodas

Post by trodas » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:09 am

lenny - ROFL! Magnetic harddrive suspension! OMG!!! :lol:
...that sounds as the latest and definitive drive suspension idea :lol:
We must sell this idea to any nice mind to see, what happens :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why the hell im affraid that the data on the drive become useless and perhaps even the drive itself? :lol:

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:47 am

trodas wrote:lenny - ROFL! Magnetic harddrive suspension! OMG!!! :lol:

Why the hell im affraid that the data on the drive become useless and perhaps even the drive itself? :lol:
Uh, duh, I dunno. Worried about overheating? Just redirect part of the air stream from the leaf blower ;-)

I was going to write up a how-to with fake photoshop retouched photos for April 1 but knowing me, it'll probably be done April 1, 2024. And mass storage may not be magnetic or have moving parts by then.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:57 am

lenny wrote:While you're at it, I have this great idea about magnetic suspension of hard drives to reduce HDD vibration and seek noise :-)
Confession time. When I read this yesterday, my thought was "Well, if you had the drive magnetically shielded, this could be done." The problem is that I don't see any problem with that thought. Can someone clue me in?

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:47 am

I don't know, actually, but you'd be crazy to risk your data this way in my opinion. A few years back I opened up a hard drive and there was this huge magnet in there for positioning the heads. It's the strongest magnet I've ever encountered - the screwdriver touched it and I had to really pull to get it off. A friend who worked for Western Digital said they used it to stick notes on the fridge as a gag - it takes a lot of force to pull it off the fridge. Anyway, if such a strong magnet can reside within the drive, I guess it should be possible.

But given the risk, and the strength of the magnets required, plus the need to shied the HDD and the entire suspension mechanism (don't want paperclips flying into the case) I don't think it's a practical idea. At least the leafblower is only noisy :-)

Now that I've morphed this into an "impractical case mod" thread, how about my idea of replacing the side panel with a box fan? After all, big fans are better, right? And a 20" box fan sure beats a wimpy 120mm any day ;-)

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:57 am

Consider this. If such a powerful magnet exists within a hard drive, then wouldn't it be dangerous to put multiple hard drives in close proximity of each other?

Lenny, I think I'm going insane. 1) I've done the box fan deal before (actually, my roommate did with a fair amount of success). 2) I've always thought that a well placed low speed box fan would be wonderful for case cooling.

I mean, c'mon, at 500-1000 RPM, a box fan can put out some decent air for computer cooling. And that's about the speed that SPCR finds their fans to be quiet. Isn't it feasible to find a 20" box fan that runs silently at 1000RPM?

And to make matters worse, I have seen something that looked like a leaf blower being used for computer cooling. It was a type of blower that was basically blowing air in (or out, not sure on that) a server room. It wasn't ACTUALLY a leaf blower, but it put out almost as much air as one. I wanna say that it looked kinda like a really big snail shell on the floor, but it's been several months since I've actually seen it.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:30 am

sthayashi wrote:Consider this. If such a powerful magnet exists within a hard drive, then wouldn't it be dangerous to put multiple hard drives in close proximity of each other?
You have a point there. I can't get anything to stick to the sides of a hard disk, so it must be shielded very well. But I don't know enough about magnetism to comment.
sthayashi wrote:Lenny, I think I'm going insane. 1) I've done the box fan deal before (actually, my roommate did with a fair amount of success). 2) I've always thought that a well placed low speed box fan would be wonderful for case cooling.

I mean, c'mon, at 500-1000 RPM, a box fan can put out some decent air for computer cooling. And that's about the speed that SPCR finds their fans to be quiet. Isn't it feasible to find a 20" box fan that runs silently at 1000RPM?
He did? Dang! Photos please?

Actually the main problem with the box fan idea is that it's kinda bulky to move around. But getting to another point, fan noise is proportional to RPM only for the same diameter fan. A 20" fan will have the tips of the fan blade moving at more than 4 times the speed of a 120mm fan. Of course, it moves a heck of a lot more air too, so you won't need to run it at 1000 RPM. I guess it's not that impractical after all, especially when compared to Rusty's "submerged my computer in turbine oil" mod.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:58 am

lenny wrote:t there. I can't get anything to stick to the sides of a hard disk, so it must be shielded very well. But I don't know enough about magnetism to comment.
Neither do I, but it doesn't seem quite as ridiculous as it does at first glance.
lenny wrote:He did? Dang! Photos please?

Actually the main problem with the box fan idea is that it's kinda bulky to move around. But getting to another point, fan noise is proportional to RPM only for the same diameter fan. A 20" fan will have the tips of the fan blade moving at more than 4 times the speed of a 120mm fan. Of course, it moves a heck of a lot more air too, so you won't need to run it at 1000 RPM. I guess it's not that impractical after all, especially when compared to Rusty's "submerged my computer in turbine oil" mod.
No photos, this was 3 years ago. And the more I think about it, if he DID use a box fan, it wasn't for very long. What he did instead was to take a small personal fan (a little larger than a 120mm), and had it running directly into his processor. He completely left the case cover off.

To be honest, I don't know WHY he did it. I don't recall him measuring the temperatures and he didn't really care about overclocking or other performance. He just like being ghetto that way.

One thing I DID do was take a larger fan personal fan and put it in front of the intake of my BQE and just let it blow in. Case and CPU temps dropped by about 5 C. Now that was REALLY impractical (and dangerous since I accidentally broke of the fan grill several years ago. I call it the fan from hell), but I don't see how a thin box fan on the side could be THAT impractical. Certainly no more than many watercooling solutions, which often make computers hard to move. There are only a couple downsides.

1) Box fans typically aren't magnetically shielded. I've seen the effects of a fan in close proximity to a CRT and I could have sworn that I saw that monitor flutter (I use LCD these days, so it's been awhile again).

2) Using a box fan in that manner opens up the case, so inner case noise will be louder.

3) Dust is evil, and will quickly gather on components when used in a long term solution.

Aside from that, it's not entirely unreasonable. You should come up with more unreasonable ideas and we'll see if we can't make them seem practical. :)

trodas

Post by trodas » Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:21 pm

lenny wrote:Now that I've morphed this into an "impractical case mod" thread, how about my idea of replacing the side panel with a box fan? After all, big fans are better, right? And a 20" box fan sure beats a wimpy 120mm any day ;-)
...yup, and watch how the used get sucked into the case, when we increase the RPM dramatically :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, i would like to say a thing about the magnets into the HDDs. They are very strong, getting two close to theirsef make next-to impossible for average human being to be able to pull it off again :roll:
However the drive did not sesms to be magnetical after all, why?
Easy.
The magnetic field are intense between the poles of the magnet. Imagine the word "C" as magnet, then the poles of it will be the edges of the missing part to circle and between them are the field - and only between them. So the fiels of "C" like magnet is like "O" :wink:
This, and the fact, that the field intensity droping with ^2 of distance (read - very fast) cause that you can't detect any magnetism of the whole drive - the magnet is properly done and their field are determined, so it did not affect even the data on the rotating disks :wink:
Call it revolution of technology :wink: :P

However puting the drive into magnetic field will likely damage the drive (head will probably have a problems with moving) as well, as kill all the data and likely the drive itself, as such low-level format is never tested :roll:
That's because the top of the drive are just aluminium plate, and aluminium is very bad shield to magnetic field, so... :roll: