Mike On Techlive ....

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Doug

Mike On Techlive ....

Post by Doug » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:57 am

Did anyone else catch Mike on Techtv's Techlive yesterday :)?

Doug

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:19 am

I saw him having lunch with Elvis.

Anyway, if this isn't an April 1st hoax, can you give some details? Does TechTV still have archived video on its website?

Sledge

Post by Sledge » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:21 am

I saw him praising silent PC's and George Bush on Fox News :D

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:49 am

Sledge wrote:I saw him praising silent PC's and George Bush on Fox News :D
If MikeC is to praise any American president, wouldn't it be Teddy "Speak Softly and Carry a Big Stick" Roosevelt?

Disclaimer : this is not a political statement one way or another.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:09 am

Enough with the FUD people!

He was actually interviewing Bin Laden from a secret location deep underground in BC.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:48 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:He was actually interviewing Bin Laden from a secret location deep underground in BC.
All right! Now we have an excuse to invade Canada :-)

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:59 am

I know you all think this is an April Fools Joke, but: Tech Live Last night

If you scroll down to the "More Stuff" listing:
Tech Live Schedule wrote:Quiet Computing
Tonight on "Tech Live," meet Vancouver, British Columbia, resident Mike Chin. He's a man on a mission: to make PCs quiet. He's also the man behind SilentPCReview.com.

Wrah
Patron of SPCR

Post by Wrah » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:42 pm

Wow, to go to such an extent to make the joke work.. I mean, TechTV is actually going to put him on tv just to make it appear he's going to be on tv just so we think he's not going on tv because it's just a joke when in fact it isn't and he's actually going to be on tv just to make us believe he is going to be on tv while he really is going to be on tv, only we think he isn't, while he is.

You really had us fooled there MikeC...

um.. Image

Any chance anyone recorded this and wants to make it available digitally? :)
(if allowed by techtv)

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:33 pm

lenny wrote:If MikeC is to praise any American president, wouldn't it be Teddy "Speak Softly and Carry a Big Stick" Roosevelt?
No way. He'd support "Silent" Cal Coolidge. :D

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:38 pm

Hard to think of any president I'd really support in the last century... It's what comes of being the head of the world's biggest empire.

BTW, if you're having troubles accessing the site today, see this notice on the front page: Heavy Traffic Warning; slowdowns likely

Cyberpukish

Post by Cyberpukish » Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:09 pm

i cant watch ;( no techtv here.....

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:15 pm

lenny wrote:
Ralf Hutter wrote:He was actually interviewing Bin Laden from a secret location deep underground in BC.
:lol: :lol: :lol: RH, I take my hat off in a loud laughing salute at your superior sense of humor!

And Lenny, the US already tried that a hundred years ago and got knocked back on its a... :lol:

Actually, they stopped when they realized they didn't need to do anything so vigorous as invade because Canada is mostly just a lapdog for the US anyway. :| (Watch the Canadian hackles rise at that. hehehe :P )

loren_brothers
Location: Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, WA, USA....Just West of B.F.Egypt

Post by loren_brothers » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:51 pm

Why would we wanna invade Canada, eh? 98% of the Canadian population lives within 50 miles of the border anyways! :lol:

Was that broadcast on CHEK TV, Mike? What ya going to do now that you are famous? Did they broadcast it live in the "smoking-section garden" at the Legislative Buildings in Victoria, eh??

I hope they put you up in the Union Club! It is has much more ambience than the Empress.

:D yuk yuk :lol:

(you have to realize that from where I live that if one has a stiff breeze you can spit and hit Victoria BC :lol: )

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:13 pm

MikeC wrote:And Lenny, the US already tried that a hundred years ago and got knocked back on its a... :lol:
It should be noted that you only won the War of 1812 because those damn Brit's still had a military presence up there. :wink: And that was two centuries ago Mike, not one. (boy, you're really showing your age now :shock: ) At least that's the last US invasion of Canada of that I remember, unless you count the Fenian raids.

So just remember that is it wasn't for the help of the Brits back then, you'd all be eating at McDonalds' now, and watching American TV, and driving American cars, and shopping at Walmarts, and um, um....well, nevermind.

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

loren_brothers

Post by loren_brothers » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:25 pm

Maybe he was talking about the "Pig War"? It is quite famous around here and it is the latest armed conflict between Canada and the US (1859) that I can recall! :shock:

See this link:

Massive Engagement Claims One Life!

If it wasn't for that my addy would be in BC now! :lol:

(bet none of you knew about this!)

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:47 pm

Well, technically the US did bomb Canadian troops much more recently than that, but I guess that doesn't count...

:|

Cyberpukish

Post by Cyberpukish » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:51 am

al bundy wrote:Well, technically the US did bomb Canadian troops much more recently than that, but I guess that doesn't count...

:|
...... :shock: Guess its hard to forget things like that.....

geordie
Friend of SPCR

Post by geordie » Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:24 am

Rusty075 wrote:It should be noted that you only won the War of 1812 because those damn Brit's still had a military presence up there.
But when they make the movie us Brits will suddenly have been erased from history and a handful of Americans will single-handedly win the war :?

Sledge

Post by Sledge » Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:05 am

lenny wrote:
No no. Not invade. "Liberate" :)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:52 am

MikeC wrote:
lenny wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: RH, I take my hat off in a loud laughing salute at your superior sense of humor!

And Lenny, the US already tried that a hundred years ago and got knocked back on its a... :lol:

Actually, they stopped when they realized they didn't need to do anything so vigorous as invade because Canada is mostly just a lapdog for the US anyway. :| (Watch the Canadian hackles rise at that. hehehe :P )
Actually, it looks like Canada is trying to "diplomatically" invade the Turks & Caicos Islands.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:55 am

Sledge wrote:
lenny wrote:
No no. Not invade. "Liberate" :)
No, invade.

Aren't you aware of the vast quantities of WMD's that Canada has amassed to use against the Western World? Those darn Canadians are forcing us to invade them. There's a Bush speech about it somewhere, a little Googling may find it.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:17 am

Clearly something needs to be done to free the poor, oppressed Canadian's from the influence of the French.

It's in our own defense, really. You just know that they're planning something. They're just too quiet up there.

Here in Michigan, if you listen real carefully, on a clear night you can hear them sharpening their ice skates....

:wink:

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:15 am

Radeonman wrote:The french? Aren't they busy throwing things over the wall at you silly michigan people.
Yes, sharpened ice skates!

Luckily the French-Canadians throw just like the French do....

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:52 am

This exchange makes me think of a Monty Python skit... RH & Russ, you're both in fine form. As befits the members of SPCR's editorial team. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But the silly arguments about the threat of Canada have the absurd and ominous ring of truth. This is precisely the kind of argument used by Bush & co (and previous admins) to justify invasion of other nations, the same kind used by Hitler in the leadup to WWII:

We're only defending ourselves, they're dangerous by their very existence, and they're plotting something, we know they are, I tell you there are at least 2 dozen skates ready to be launched south! :shock: :|

PS -- I was talking about the "Pig War".

Oh, and did anyone actually see this Tech Live show, anyway?? I don't get the channel that features it here...

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:02 am

Mike, most good parody has an "ominous ring of truth" to it.....

and so does this. :wink: (insert standard rim-shot sound effect here)

Besides, Canada is dangerous They've already unleashed one of the most horrific Weapons of Mass Destruction the world has ever known......

Celine Dion

Not to mention the lesser WMD assaults throughout the last 50 years: Nelly Furtado, k.d. lang, Corey Hart, Joni Mitchell, Avril Lavigne, Alanis Morissette, Paul Anka, Shania Twain, William Shatner, Alan Thicke....

Unleashing William Shatner alone should be enough to justify UN sanctions, at the very least!

But they did give us Kids in the Hall and Pamela Anderson, so I suppose that that compensates some.

:wink:

I don't get TechTV either...surely someone out there TIVO'd it, right?
Last edited by Rusty075 on Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:08 am

Rusty075 wrote:Mike, most good parody has an "ominous ring of truth" to it.....

and so does this. :wink: (insert standard rim-shot sound effect here)
Treu enuf... pointing out the obvious because the truth in this case is here and now and full of consequence.

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:06 am

MikeC wrote:We're only defending ourselves, they're dangerous by their very existence, and they're plotting something, we know they are, I tell you there are at least 2 dozen skates ready to be launched south! :shock: :|
"Not only are they armed and dangerous, but these weapons are ready to threaten us inside 25 minutes." Tony (I'll deny I ever said this) Blair

loren_brothers

Post by loren_brothers » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:28 pm

I am most impressed!
PS -- I was talking about the "Pig War".
Mike is both a gentleman and a scholar!! :D

I didn't see the show since all I have is some silly aerial that only picks up the Canadian stations! It MUST be a conspiracy!

Too bad there isn't somewhere we could link with to watch it on-line! Maybe Russ can be put in charge of arranging that? :wink:

(ps: I hate to bring this up and hurt Mike's feelings but as I recall the Canadians eventually retreated. The only "a" was kicked in a northerly direction! :lol: Or maybe I really am living in BC! :shock: )