Silent Dual Opterons?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mdaniel
Friend of SPCR

Silent Dual Opterons?

Post by mdaniel » Sat May 01, 2004 3:27 am

I was wondering if anyone here is running a dual Opteron rig that is silent or close to silent. I'm interested in making the switch to a dual system, but I've not heard anything about the noise associated with it. Any thoughts, recommendations or opinions?

BlueTide

Re: Silent Dual Opterons?

Post by BlueTide » Sat May 01, 2004 4:59 am

mdaniel wrote:I was wondering if anyone here is running a dual Opteron rig that is silent or close to silent. I'm interested in making the switch to a dual system, but I've not heard anything about the noise associated with it. Any thoughts, recommendations or opinions?
I can't tell about opterons, but am running dualMP2800+s at the moment. When it comes to noise, the hardest part to tackle is in the end the PSU, these things need hefty amount of power at times, especially if you plug in a Quadro or FireGL card and some editing gear.

Processors can be cooled decently with some heatsinks, space is a consideration here, but there are good enough HSs that fit, I use SLK-800As.

If somebody has a good solution to he PSU problem, I'd be glad to hear it. Modding an Antec TP550W at the moment myself with a pair of nexus fans.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat May 01, 2004 8:49 am

BlueTide,

The primary issue is not just the PSU having to delivery a lot of power to the CPUs, but also the heat radiated by the CPUs being sucked back in through the PSU, thereby increasing the temperature inside the PSU. Your setup begs for a PSU fresh air intake duct.

See the sticky on the topic in this section, and also read the Dual MP System article by Powergyoza in the main site, under DIY Systems. Also the ARM Systems Stealth Foundation review under Cases. You will have trouble with the bottom mounted PSU fan, of course, but read the above and think it through, you may come up with something reall creative.

hyperslug
Patron of SPCR

Post by hyperslug » Sat May 01, 2004 9:41 am

I too am having trouble finding a quiet PSU. The trouble is, we're limited to finding EPS 12V PSU's and there isn't a lot of choice in that area.
MikeC wrote:The primary issue is not just the PSU having to delivery a lot of power to the CPUs, but also the heat radiated by the CPUs being sucked back in through the PSU, thereby increasing the temperature inside the PSU. Your setup begs for a PSU fresh air intake duct.
I've ducted my PSU but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Perhaps the SilenX550 adjusts its fanspeed by load and not by temperature? If it does, no amount of ducting will help.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat May 01, 2004 12:10 pm

hyperslug wrote:I've ducted my PSU but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Perhaps the SilenX550 adjusts its fanspeed by load and not by temperature? If it does, no amount of ducting will help.
It's thermal control only, you can be 99.9% sure of that.

To check whether the ducting is working effectively, try something simple: Move the PSU outside the case & . Like this: MikeC's external PSU PC. (with case closed) See if the PSU fan is as loud/fast as before. If so, then perhaps that fan just does not move enough air.

Chances are, when you try this, the PSU fan will run slower. This means that the temp of the PSU, when in the case, is still too high. Find ways to reduce overall temps. You might need to work on improving the case in/out air flow -- without increasing noise.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Sat May 01, 2004 12:21 pm

BlueTide,

At some point next week, I'll be getting an M1A so that I can mod my Zalman-ZM400B. So far, this PSU is very quiet for most people, but still somewhat audible to obsessed people like me. I wonder how the Enermax would fair.

Also at some point next week, I'll be getting a FireGL X1 card (presumably). I can measure power the power draw of a dual XP system with a high-end video card, and can tell you if you'd be able to get by with a 400W PSU or not.

Also, how'd mounting the ACVGA cooler go with you? Was it a problem?

MonsterMac

Post by MonsterMac » Sat May 01, 2004 6:20 pm

if it's not load controlled and is thermal controlled, then just replace the fan and run it off a different line. problem solved.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat May 01, 2004 6:36 pm

MonsterMac wrote:if it's not load controlled and is thermal controlled, then just replace the fan and run it off a different line. problem solved.
The fan may be ramping up for a good reason, thermally speaking, and bypassing the thermal controller can lead to early PSU failure. As long as you're willing to risk that...

zak

Opterons

Post by zak » Sun May 02, 2004 2:55 am

Opterons use registered memory. And for that reason, they do not support cool&quiet it seems. Sadly.

That said, and idling Athlon64 without cool&quiet is still cool&quiet!

Thomas

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Sun May 02, 2004 3:40 am

i'm happy with my tagan 480W psu. it powers a dual xeon 2.8 and it's still very quiet. it's a dual fan design with push-pull. The second fan (inside) is not on the underside of the psu, it's on the backside. It would be easy to do a PSU duct with this PSU.

Markus

BlueTide

Post by BlueTide » Mon May 03, 2004 6:39 am

sthayashi wrote: Also at some point next week, I'll be getting a FireGL X1 card (presumably). I can measure power the power draw of a dual XP system with a high-end video card, and can tell you if you'd be able to get by with a 400W PSU or not.

Also, how'd mounting the ACVGA cooler go with you? Was it a problem?
Now later on I must say I think my money would have been better spent on Quadro, but...

ACVGA installations was a bit of troubling, when you play with a card like that. Not a big problem, but the old heatsink did not detach easily, so I had to keep the card over a candle for a brief perieod of time. Not for those with weak heart... But with a hair dryer it might have been a bit safer operation. Otherwise, no trouble at all.
MikeC wrote: The primary issue is not just the PSU having to delivery a lot of power to the CPUs, but also the heat radiated by the CPUs being sucked back in through the PSU, thereby increasing the temperature inside the PSU. Your setup begs for a PSU fresh air intake duct.
That is only a part of the problem, at this point. Antec 550W is loud, no matter what. Even outside the case. While I am modding it, I have a Fortron 400W in there that does give sufficient power for the system and that is loud too. I run the comp now with side panel open so that helps with the cooling considerably.

About ducting, I have read the article and it has inspired me. I have removed the bottom fan from the antec and made another hole in the rear for 80mm nexus fan, sealing the one at the bottom. I tend to seal the duct in my spare case to the front to help with the airflow. There was a post at some point that one had made a duct using plastic A4 paper covers, I'm planing to try that too as soon as I can get that PSU modded.

We'll see what happens and if someone wishes pics, I think I can put them on at some point. A slow project though.

the_smell
Patron of SPCR

Post by the_smell » Sat Jun 12, 2004 2:12 am

If you're still looking to build a dual system AMD are doing a low power version of the opteron (the Opteron HE and opteron EE). They are rated at 55W and 35W but I think they ain't cheap!
http://www.amdboard.com/opteron_low_power.html

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:17 am

If they'll fit, Alpha has PAL8150 heatsinks that would allow you to direct the CPU exhaust towards your case fan and away from the PSU.