Vampire Molex?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Post Reply
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:20 am
Location: Little Rock, AR, USA

Vampire Molex?

Post by caxis0 » Thu May 06, 2004 6:26 pm

Where can I find vampire molex's like the ones I see in this pic:



Posts: 1083
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:36 am
Location: Reading, UK

Post by shathal » Fri May 07, 2004 12:06 am

Vampire molex's?

WTF are those?

Those just look like fairly standard cable-ties to me around a normal power-chord.

What's special about "vampire" molex's?

Are you talking male/female connectors?

Posts: 1283
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:35 am
Location: Sweden, Linkoping

Post by silvervarg » Fri May 07, 2004 12:31 am

He is talking about the direction the molex connectors come out from the cable. Many shops sell extension connectors that gives you two of these "flat"/"vampire" connectors.
So, is this what you are after or do you want just the connectors to put on your existing cables?

Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:52 am

Post by rp » Fri May 07, 2004 12:34 am

shathal wrote:Vampire molex's?

What's special about "vampire" molex's?
They "bite" into the cable as it passes through the plug, hence vampire. Makes for some lovely clean cablework.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer
Posts: 8636
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2002 6:33 am
Location: Sunny SoCal

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri May 07, 2004 4:53 am

You can get them from Digi-Key. There's a few threads over at Ars that list the part numbers. Some of the online case mod places also sell them but I can't remember the specific names right now.

These people sell pre-built extension cables made with this sort of connector, maybe they'll sell you the bare molex itself, or can turn you on to their source. Give 'em a shout.

Posts: 587
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:45 pm
Location: North Billerica, MA, USA

Post by Gooserider » Fri May 07, 2004 8:47 pm

The pic didn't come through, but judging by the other comments, I think what you want are officially known as "IDC" or "Insulation Displacement Connectors". That might help you in looking them up, and I agree that Digikey should have them.


Posts: 324
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 10:35 pm
Location: Surrey, B,C

Post by 1398342003 » Fri May 07, 2004 9:21 pm

I have seen them listed by retailers as "pass through" or "90 degree" molexes. You could google for those.

US: ... cts_id=999 ... ent&id=123
UK: ... ed8051ae0b

Post Reply