Powerful and Quiet PC?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

inxil

Powerful and Quiet PC?

Post by inxil » Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:17 pm

I just recently replaced a self-built machine for a high-end Falcon Northwest machine. I had put a few hundred bucks into the old machine to quiet it up, and I simply wasn't prepared for how noisy a high-end gaming machine would be. I'm not a gamer, but I wanted the best of the best (or whatever I could get for under four grand).

So I'm sending the falcon back and building my own. In looking for quiet pc resources, I came across this site. After a few days of research, I've come up with the following configuration. I'd love it if some of you might look it over and make suggestions on improvement. Power is my number one priority, but noise takes a VERY close second.

These are the parts that I've chosen:
  • ANTEC SLK3700AMB (which I already own)
  • Nexus 120 mm Real Silent Case Fan (x2)
  • Nexus NX-4000 Power Supply
  • Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu
  • Arctic Silver 5
  • Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, (Twin Pack) 184 Pin 2GB(1GB x 2) DDR PC-3200PT
  • SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9600XT Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP
  • SAMSUNG 160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model SP1614C (x2)
  • Plextor 12X DVD+/-RW Drive, Model PX-712A Black
  • SONY Black 1.44MB 3.5inch Floppy Disk Drive, Model MPF920
  • Creative Labs Audigy II ZS Platinum Pro
  • Zonet V.92 56K PCI Data/Fax Modem, Model ZFM5620-CF
  • IN-WIN 7-in-1 USB Card Reader (BLACK) Model - CR-i500
  • AcoustiCase C6607
Now, I'm not sure whether I want to go with a P4, a P4 EE, or an Athlon FX. If I go with the P4 or P4 EE I'd choose:
  • Intel "D865PERLL" i865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU
  • Intel Pentium 4/ 3.4C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology, or
  • Intel Pentium 3/ 3.4EE
If I choose AMD, I'd go with:
  • Asus A8V-Deluxe Via K8T800Pro Athlon 64(FX) Skt939 DDR ATX Motherboard
  • AMD Socket 939 Athlon 64 FX-53, 1MB L2 Cache, Windows Compatible 64-bit Processor
These are the total prices for those who are interested:
  • TOTAL (Pentium 4 3.4C): $2233.86
  • TOTAL (Pentium 4 3.4C w/ 4GB RAM): $2842.86
  • TOTAL (Pentium 4 3.4 Extreme Edition): $2813.86
  • TOTAL (Pentium 4 3.4 Extreme Edition w/ 4GB RAM): $3422.86
  • TOTAL (Athlon 64 FX-53): $2730.30
  • TOTAL (Athlon 64 FX-53 w/ 4GB RAM): $3339.30
My main questions are,
  • Would you change anything and what?
  • Would you go with AMD or Intel?
  • If intel, will I be able to keep the machine cool with the extreme edition processor?
  • Will 4GB of RAM heat things up significantly?
Thanks for any help. I'm really not to sure about what I'm doing :)

Tyrdium

Post by Tyrdium » Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:24 pm

You're spending that much and only getting a 9600XT? Get either a 9800 Pro (~$225 on Newegg) or an X800 XT ($435 at Gateway). It won't make a huge overall price difference, and your framerates will be two to four times higher (depending on which card you get).

Ansis

Post by Ansis » Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:26 pm

im running 1Gb ram, even with graphical editing, and this is the number of ram, what can be named - standart - a normal standart ram, big enough for everything. - more ram - mosly it will be just wasted money - no performance, what you can feel from these 4Gb:)

acompeau

Ah, the ultimate problem - fast AND silent :-D

Post by acompeau » Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:54 pm

Well, I'd definitely go with AMD. There's an article here with the details, but the combination of lower actual heat output and the Cool-n-quiet makes AMD the best choice, IMO.

I have to agree that a Radeon 9600 XT is mismatched with this rig (bicycle tires on a ferrari). I suggest getting something like a HIS Excalibur X800 Pro with IceQ II, when they become available in the US (early July). That should be more quiet than most X800-based cards, and you get the extra benefit of shunting all that heat out the back of the case instead of dumping inside.

As for RAM, 4GB is overkill. 1GB is minimum, and 2GB is where I'd probably go.

You may also want to look at the recently revised Seasonic Super Tornado PSUs. The new rev is reputed to be very efficient and quiet, with a better ramping profile.

A 56k modem?!? I hope you get broadband access soon! :D

Cheers,

Aram[/url]

the_smell
Patron of SPCR

Post by the_smell » Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:41 pm

Mmmm... nice system
Definitely go AMD. Since you've got the cash and are serious about keeping things quiet it might be worth looking for the HE or HH models of the opterons, these are low power versions (designed for servers I think). But they don't quite come as powerful as the FX53 so maybe not!

I agree with going for a better vga card - especially one fitted with the arctic cooling if possible, acompeau's suggestion looks very nice. Going for a standard vga card with noisey fan would be a shame.

If you're serious about sound quality considder an m audio or terratec card instead of the creative.

Also you don't mension the monitor you're going to use, if you're getting a new one please go for a TFT. :)

Have fun

Mimesis

Post by Mimesis » Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:38 pm

Like everyone allready said, that vga-card is not for you. Also, what about the two cases? Both Antec and Acousticase?

Maybe you've chosen that vga card because you can get it with heatpipes->fanless. If so, still get a better one and a Zalman zm80 or whatever they're named: a fanless cooling for vga to replace the original fan. It works with atleast 9800pro, i think with still faster cards also.

inxil

Post by inxil » Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:43 pm

Okay, just to clear up the confusion... the reason that I chose the video card is that I wanted something fanless. Also, I don't do much in 3D (the ocaisional SolidWorks) and I very rarely play games, and when I do it's hearts or solitaire :) I did like the Serious Sam demo that came with the Falcon machine, though. So I thought I'd get something that had a chance of running a game or two. Everyone agrees that I'm better off getting a decent video card and adding a Zalman heatsink to it?

As for the monitor, I have a dell 2001FP (I think that's right). It's a 20.1 inch dell LCD.

As for the cases, I already own the Antec case. I forgot to mention that I was just going to buy the AcoustiCase padding.. they say it fits in the Antec case really well, eh?

As for the RAM, I don't mind overkill :) I've got about 4 grand to spend on the machine, and if I don't spend it, the company I work for will just spend it on pens or something :lol: Even if I get .1% higher performance, I'd get much more in bragging rights :)

Actually, I'd be happy to stick with 2GB.. would it make more sense to spread that 2GB across 4 sticks of RAM? Not in terms of price, but in terms of heat (and perhaps performance?). It sort-of makes sense to me that 4 separate DIMMs would heat up less than 2 higher capacity ones, but that could be completely backwards. I'm not sure.

The 56k modem is a legacy thing. Until about 10 days ago, there was no broadband access in the area that I live. I've got broadband at work, and that's where this machine would reside, but I figured if I wanted to do fax stuff with it, or if I ever need to dial up, it wouldn't hurt..

I currently own Logitech Z640 speakers (5.1). If the creative card could be replaced, what would work best for those speakers?

Also, one more question. Do you think I could get away with only 1 120mm fan in the case, or will I need both?

Thanks for all the help!

inxil

Post by inxil » Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:57 pm

Okay, just looked at the Seasonic PSU, and it makes sense to go with them. Would I be okay with the 300 watt tornado, or should I go higher? There's a chance I might put another optical drive into the machine, but besides that I don't see much more that would draw power. The future is unforseen, though... I don't think I should be just on the line between okay and too weak.

Also, I don't want to completely rule out the 4GB RAM option. Regardless of how useless the extra 2 gigs would be, would it be doable/realistic in terms of heat?

Thanks again,

Chris

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:48 pm

You might want to see what our sponsors like ARM Systems or EndPCNoise can do for you w/a quiet prebuilt system. I know ARM Systems announced they are now selling a range of quiet A64 machines. A couple of these systems have been reviewed. Check the sponsor links on the main sites.

kogi

Post by kogi » Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:59 pm

Definitely go with a 400w PSU, a 300w PSU will have to work harder, meaning more heat/noise.

I think unless you are overclocking the ram, heat from them will be negligible.

kogi

inxil

Post by inxil » Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:13 pm

From ZalmanUSA.com:
If you are using a nVIDIA GeForce FX5800, an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, a Matrox Parhelia, or a more advanced model, an Optional Fan (ZM-OP1, sold separately) must be installed.
So, what would y'all recommend that's within the fanless range?

nick705

Post by nick705 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:41 pm

Definitely go with a 400w PSU, a 300w PSU will have to work harder, meaning more heat/noise.
Nope...the amount of heat generated by a PSU when delivering a given output depends on its efficiency, not its maximum theoretical rating.

Elixer

Post by Elixer » Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:45 pm

Yeah, 9600XT is definately not powerful enough for that rig. I'd go with a 9800 pro with an Arctic VGA cooler. You can buy a 9800 pro and install one yourself, or pay en extra $15 and buy this one with it already installed, and save your warrenty:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 109&depa=1

This thing is very quiet at it's low setting and at this setting it keeps it better cooled than the stock cooler at this setting. I have one and I really like it. I believe I've heard someone say it's sound level is equivalent to a panaflo L1A at 7V. I don't have a panaflo fan to compare it to, otherwise I would be able to say for sure.