Can the MSI K8N Neo Platinum Undervolt an Athlon 64?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

randyharris

Can the MSI K8N Neo Platinum Undervolt an Athlon 64?

Post by randyharris » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:27 pm

After reading the review on Silentpcreview.com I'm really interested in using the MSI K8N Neo Platinum as the heart of an Athlon 64 system.

I'd very much want to undervolt to help run a less heat generating, and ultimately quieter system.

Can this motherboard be setup to undervolt?

Thanks much, really appreciate the help.

Randy Harris

aidanjm2004

Re: Can the MSI K8N Neo Platinum Undervolt an Athlon 64?

Post by aidanjm2004 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:28 pm

randyharris wrote:After reading the review on Silentpcreview.com I'm really interested in using the MSI K8N Neo Platinum as the heart of an Athlon 64 system. I'd very much want to undervolt to help run a less heat generating, and ultimately quieter system.
Here's a very positive review of the K8N Neo Platinum at anandtech.com. They really like this board:

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=2036&p=4

I wonder why you'd need additional under-volting over and above what is offered by Cool n Quiet? What extra benefit will you gain?

SpyderCat

Post by SpyderCat » Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:43 pm

aidanjm2004 wrote: ....
I wonder why you'd need additional under-volting over and above what is offered by Cool n Quiet? What extra benefit will you gain?
Undervolting is even more powerful / important than C'n'Q.

By undervolting you can lower your heat-production @ 100% CPU-utilisation.
You will always set up your cooling solution so it can cope with prolonged CPU use @ 100%, so a reduction in "maximum heat produced" results in a more quiet cooling solution.
I lowered the CPU-temperature by 9° by undervolting my AMD64 3000+. Not too shabby! :roll:

aidanjm2004

Post by aidanjm2004 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:42 pm

SpyderCat wrote:Undervolting is even more powerful / important than C'n'Q. By undervolting you can lower your heat-production @ 100% CPU-utilisation. You will always set up your cooling solution so it can cope with prolonged CPU use @ 100%, so a reduction in "maximum heat produced" results in a more quiet cooling solution. I lowered the CPU-temperature by 9° by undervolting my AMD64 3000+. Not too shabby! :roll:
Does your undervolting work in conjunction with CnQ, though?

Are you getting the FSB/ Vcore reductions when your computer is working on tasks with low requirements -- interweb surfing, ms word, etc?