Need a quiet "mini" keyboard

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fanerman91

Need a quiet "mini" keyboard

Post by fanerman91 » Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:50 pm

I want a laptop style keyboard, where the number keypad is completely removed and the arrows and the insert/home/pgup etc are integrated into the side. I want the mouse to be as close to the keyboard as possible so my wrists aren't in any uncomfortable positions. (I've suddenly become more concerned about finger/wrist stress)

I also want it to have quiet laptop-style keys. So far the best I've found is the Viewsonic KU-201, which integrates the arrows like a laptop has. But it still has the keypad. Is there anything else?

Tyrdium

Post by Tyrdium » Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:18 pm

Sounds like you want IBM's USB Travel Keyboard with Ultranav. It's pretty expensive ($100), but it's got the same keyboard as on the ThinkPads (I actually prefer the thing to the SGI keyboard I'm using now), plus it's got a TrackPoint and trackpad on it. They also have a full-size (i.e. layout of a standard keyboard) version for the same price, if you want a numeric keypad (which you said you don't).

alleycat

Post by alleycat » Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:04 pm

I've got a cheap little black one made by Maxtron (never heard of them before I bought this), but it's not that quiet, probably average. I like using it, though. I've also seen small keyboards from a company called Cherry.

Nowhere_man

Post by Nowhere_man » Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:51 pm

Those little "gummy bear" travel keyboards are dead quiet but also flat, dunno if that'll help your strain however you could make a custom wedge or pad to put it on.

CompUSSR sells one, if you're near one of those stores go in and play with it (then find it for less online :wink: ).

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:27 pm

I use a BTC mini keyboard (PS2 version.)

I chose this keyboard for the exact reason fanerman91 stated: to bring the mouse closer to the home row keys. I am very happy with this setup.

When choosing a mini keyboard, just make sure the left Control key is where it should be. A lot of mini keyboards have a special function key where Control goes - I tried to get used to one of those keyboards but never could.

peacefulpc
-- Vendor --

ortek mini

Post by peacefulpc » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:01 pm

i bought this one for my bench:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 020&depa=0
and it's one of the best kb's i've ever had. more quiet than most, good response, long and not very expensive.

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:03 am

Those little "gummy bear" travel keyboards are dead quiet but also flat, dunno if that'll help your strain however you could make a custom wedge or pad to put it on.
Actually a flat keyboard puts less strain on your shoulders and wrists. I learned this less than a year ago from an ergonimist (or whatever the profession is called). So from that day on I fold down all my keyboards flat. I have no idea why 99% of keyboards have an option to raise the backside so the keyboard becomes less ergonimical.
At work I use a natural keyboard (the type that is "broken in the middle").

Now to the more advanced ergonomical tricks:
1. Change the location of the mouse every now and then so you don't constantly strain the same mussles.
2. I use the following 3 locations for the mouse.
* The classical location on the right. Very rarely used, but I use this position often at home.
* On the left side of the keyboard. It is like cutting off the keypad and arrow keys on any keyboard. You just have to learn to use the mouse with your left hand. I do not switch mouse button locations when I do this. Ofcourse this requires that you use a symmetrical mouse.
* Mouse located between myself and the keyboard. Mouse is rotated almost 90 degrees counter clockwise. This is the "normal" position for my mouse. To access the mouse just turn your right arm a little. This is very comfortable, but the real trick is to learn to push the arm to the right to move mouse pointer upwards. Excpect a few days usage before you get used to it. As a bonus you push the keyboard away from you, so your lower arms get a good resting place on the table.

You should also look a lot more into shortcut keys and possibly steering the mouse using the keyboard through accessibility options.
And you should defenatly spend a few minutes to read:
http://www.oreilly.com/news/zenclavier_1299.html
It is a very good article called "Extreme Keyboarding" by Zenclavier.

rtsai

Post by rtsai » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:27 am

I second the lefty-mousing as a cheap way around buying a new keyboard. For symmetric mice, I use a Logitech Marble trackball (symmetrical two-button trackball, not those thumb-ball thingies that seem to be so popular), which gives you the added bonus of allowing you to use your big strong meaty thumb for clicking instead of your fragile fingers.

Nowhere_man

Post by Nowhere_man » Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:08 pm

You know flat does "feel" more natural silvervarg :)

I think the elevation thing comes from the fact that typewriters had the keys angled up.

I use to love the old clicky mechanical switch IBM keyboards becaused I learned to type in the early 1970's and that keyboard feels a lot like the Selectric typewriter. I've still got one (IBM keyboard) laying around because they never wear out.

I usually buy a keyboard that's on sale with a rebate making it $5 - $10. That said, I've found Belkin's are too noisy and stiff while Micro Innovations are quieter and softer.

I use a microsoft wired optical three button wheel mouse (that's a mouthfull, lol) with a wrist support gel mousepad.

Changing the location of the mouse is a good idea. Probably something I should do more often.