Hi, I bought a new quiet system

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

hotshot

Hi, I bought a new quiet system

Post by hotshot » Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:26 pm

It's been a while since I posted here last, so hi :).

I bought a new system recently.

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 333fsb
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (AMD nForce2 Ultra)
Kingston 512Mb PC3200 DDR Ram
ATI Radeon 9200 128Mb Video Card
Seagate Barracuda 120Gb 7200 8Mb cache Hard Disk
Antec Sonata Piano Case
CNPS7000A-AlCu

And overall I'm very happy on how quiet this system is.

Ambient room temperature is about 22 degrees, CPU temperature is 41 degrees idle, case temperature 26 degrees idle.

I can barely tell it's on which is great. I can hear a little whoosh but overall I'm very happy. (I can actually hear my monitor buzzing)

probably the best part about it is that now I can use a speech recognition program that I bought many years ago (Dragon NaturallySpeaking 4.0) that works perfectly. Finally it can understand what I am saying, well most of the time.

I haven't really stressed the system yet, due to the fact that I only use it to surf and word process so I don't know what the maximum temperatures like.

From your reviews and comments about the case and how noisy the power supply is, I was a bit worried how loud the system would be, I really think you guys are really obsessed with silence. Thanks anyway for your help because now I'm very happy with my system.

Peace and quiet last. Cheers!

Sam Williams

Post by Sam Williams » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:54 am

Welcome back, hotshot! I've been away too, actually. I'm glad you're happy with the new system. It sounds great - low temperatures, low noise, plenty of power...

One cautionary word: you -may- find that, as time goes by, the 'little whoosh' you find barely noticeable now may come to blacken your very soul. Don't worry though - you'll be in plenty of company around here if/when it does happen. :)

Also: are you using any extra fans, or just the CPU heatsink fan and the PSU fan?

hotshot

Post by hotshot » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:29 am

Thanks Sam

The Antec Sonata case has a large 120mm fan at the back.

Currently there are 3 fans in total in my system: CPU, Powersupply, case fan.

Sam Williams

Post by Sam Williams » Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:14 am

Ah, great... Always a relief to know there's still scope for tinkering when That Feeling sets in. :)

monkiman
Friend of SPCR
Location: Seattle, WA -- *Active* member of the SPCR Folding@Home team!

Post by monkiman » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:55 am

Very close to the new stuff I just put together (see sig) - I have the Samsung HD though.

Overall I'm pleased as well - I did the bezel mods to the Sonata. I need to replace the stock 120 case fan, and perhaps a new PSU soon (my Fortron is developing a bit of grind)