Good "suck out" socket A heatsinks

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Prozzaks

Good "suck out" socket A heatsinks

Post by Prozzaks » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:20 am

I was wondering if anybody knew of good heatsinks that can be safely used with a Athlon 1400MHz in a "suck out" configuration?

If so, I could use the build a duck directly to the 80mm rear fan wich is pretty quiet.

When I bought that computer, there was a Vantec VA4-C7040. I had never heard anything that loud in a computer! I was louder that any rackmount server I had worked with ( and sound is not even a remote consideration for thoses things! ) Silent PC freaks : Stay away from that Vantec monster!

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:19 am

Alpha's PAL8055 Heatsink should fit the bill nicely. One thing that may be easier than building a duct to the back is to build a duct right into the side.

Prozzaks

Post by Prozzaks » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:24 am

I thought about building a duct on the side but this is a computer that is going to be opened and closed pretty often, so I don't want anything that might hider access to the coponents.

I also thought about using a "push through" configuration with a duct to the exaust but there isn't enough room around the CPU socket.

thx for the sugestion, I'll check out he PAL8055

Dobby

Post by Dobby » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:15 am

You might want to check quite recent review @ www.madshrimps.be . Those pipe tower coolers should work for that purpose assuming you can install them at right orientation. I use Sharkoon HPS1 in suck mode but I haven't ducted it, because simple change already solved my PSU fan ramping problems.

Prozzaks

Post by Prozzaks » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:38 am

Thanks a lot Dobby!

I'm drooling right now! With a Sharkoon HPS1 and my Antec Sonata, I could build a duct directly to the 120mm fan at the back of the case!
:) That means no CPU fan! :)

Now I just have to find where I can buy a HPS1 in Canada...

Dobby

Post by Dobby » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:25 am

Prozzaks wrote:Thanks a lot Dobby!

I'm drooling right now! With a Sharkoon HPS1 and my Antec Sonata, I could build a duct directly to the 120mm fan at the back of the case!
:) That means no CPU fan! :)

Now I just have to find where I can buy a HPS1 in Canada...
You're welcome. :) I think Sharkoon is based on heatsink which is manufactured OEM so chances are that you at least can find something corresponding in US/Canada. Spacing between HS fins seems to be quite optimal for ducting purposes.