Fan adapters? 120m<->80m, 80m<->60m, etc. any go

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

megane

Fan adapters? 120m<->80m, 80m<->60m, etc. any go

Post by megane » Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:06 pm

in theory, this sounds good to me - I was just figuring on replacing a 60mm on an old computer, and saw these things. why not just get an adapter and use a quieter 80mm? and with the same token, using a 120mm with an adapter instead of an 80mm.

I don't think it's as good as originally being 80mm instead of 60, or originally being 120 instead of 80......but, might it be a better option to get adapters and larger fans in general?

mathias

Post by mathias » Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:44 pm

I think the main problem is the turbulence noise caused by squezing air into a tighter space. Because of this, I wonder if such an adaptor works very well for fans blowing air away from the heatsink.

Case airflow obstruction also comes to mind. And larger slower moving fans should have less airflow near the center.

Pjotor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Pjotor » Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:41 pm

I used to have a PAL8045 cooler, made to use a sucking 80mm fan, on my CPU. I slapped a 80-120 adapter on it and used a 120mm Papst instead of an 80mm fan, and it worked well.

I think fan adapters work best when a larger fan pulls the air through the adapter, rather than pushing it. YMMV, but my results indicated better cooling at lower noise.

mathias

Post by mathias » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:55 am

For various reasons I wouldn't want to attach such a duct to my CPU heatsink(even though the fan is blowing air away from it), but this sounds like an easy way to attach larger case fans, without permenantly altering the case. It would look a little odd though. Edit: this could work quite well with micro ATX cases.

I think a combination fan adaptor / (mini) duct (like that 45 degree thermaltake one) would be a good product.

kesv

Re: Fan adapters? 120m<->80m, 80m<->60m, etc. an

Post by kesv » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:08 am

megane wrote: why not just get an adapter and use a quieter 80mm?
I've done this with an older GlacialTech Igloo. I used a 60-80mm aluminium adapter with an Y.S. Tech 2000rpm fan (running at 1600rpm). Worked well. Both more silent and better at keeping things cool. I suppose a new heatsink would have worked even better, but the adapter + fan combination costs about half compared to a decent new heatsink + fan.

Prozzaks

Post by Prozzaks » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:04 am

Another thing you can use to build custom duct and reducers is insulating foam. You can buy it at any hardware store. It's usually blue or pink.

Use a jigsaw to make the initial hole. Make sur to do it smaller than the size you need it. Then, use sand paper to get rid of all the ridges. It works pretty well but it makes a whole dahm lot of dust that just love static! Be warned! The dust is pure 3v!L. I strongly suggest doing this outside.

I will have acces to a digital camera soon and I will post pictures of what I build.

wainwra
*Lifetime Patron*

Any experience of fan converters?

Post by wainwra » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:45 am

I came across these the other day, and wondered why I hadn't heard more about them on spcr.

The idea is to use a large (quieter, more efficient) fan on top of the existing heatsink.

Does anyone have any negative experience of this technique?

nici

Post by nici » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:58 pm

I installed a 80mm fan on a heatsink made for 60mm fans with one of those clear blue adapters, it was quieter even when pushing and i would guess it cooled at least as good, i didnt check any temps on that computer.