PC control over Cat5

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fancontrol

PC control over Cat5

Post by fancontrol » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:11 pm

Remember this? Well, I just can't let it die.

Today I found an article from intersil about how to use their parts to send video over cat5. It looks like I can sample most of the parts, so I'm thinking I might be able to build one (or three) of these things.

The trick is keyboard and mouse. The video only uses 3 of the 4 UTPs, any thoughts on how to squeeze mouse & kbd onto the remaining pair?

Anyone know of a sparky kinda forum that might be able to help?
Anyone willing to part with some cash to take part in the effort? I ask primarially because the board shop, ExpressPCB, makes 3 sets of boards minimum for $65 total. Spreading the pain would be nice.

If I had $65 right now I'd bet all of it that this project goes nowhere. I'm too freakin' busy these days...
Last edited by fancontrol on Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Linus

Post by Linus » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:42 pm

fancontrol wrote:The trick is keyboard and mouse. The video only uses 3 of the 4 UTPs, any thoughts on how to squeeze mouse & kbd onto the remaining pair?
Use a dual-PS2 to USB converter like this and send the data and clock signals through the cat5? Then the +5v and gnd could be hooked up at the workstation with a power brick or something.

Edwood

Post by Edwood » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:42 pm

Check www.avsforum.com
Search the front projectors forum, there are a couple threads on a nice adapter that lets you do nice in wall VGA to Cat5e installs.

As for Mouse and Keyboard, there are a few KVM's that have a Cat5 extension. Belkin has one. Also, you could use Cat5e USB extenders, but it would probably be cheaper to just buy the KVM switch.

-Ed

Skylined

Post by Skylined » Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:58 am

The mouse and the keyboard are feed with 5V and GND, then each of them has a Clock and a Data signal.

1. Data Mouse
2. Data Keyboard
3. Clock Mouse
4. Data Keyboard
5. VCC = 5V shared Keyboard - Mouse
6. VDD = GND shared Keyboard - Mouse

Get a cable with more wires inside. ;)