The simplest way, done in no time.

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

robertroig

The simplest way, done in no time.

Post by robertroig » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:40 pm

I must say i have a .13 micron 1700+ and a GeForce4 440mx all stock speeds.. and the heatsink is .. the one that came with the cpu i think.. cheapest of them all.

that's what I did.
1st, dismount the psu. cut the iron protecion of the exhaust fan, just remember not to put you finger in there... cut 1 of the fan wires. and make it go serial with some other fan... (they run at half speed) a normal fan i got from a broken psu... put that extra fan somehere close from the cpu heatsink (above it, but not quite). then I got piece of paper and folded it in the shape of... well like air conduct, so that it directs the air sideways through there, and cellotaped it to the heatsink. ... the fan stays where it is.... long story short.. cello tape it to the cables coming out from the psu, or whatever...
there you have it.
... well.. use some cooling soft, i set voltage from 1.5 to 1.475 (that is as low as my mobo lets me go) unplug the cpu fan... and the GPU fan as well.. what the hell.. let it burn... (actually... make sure some air flow goes by it even if it is the back side... it gets hot.. but never gave any probems either)
I must say i have a .13 micron 1700+ and a GeForce4 440mx all stock speeds.. and the heatsink is .. the one that came with the cpu i think.. cheapest of them all.
I used to read temperatures of 36ºC now i read 39ºC... 52ºC on a heavier load. I know temps may be higher ... .. it just feels a little bit more than warm to the touch. i just don't have the pictures now... it doesn't look too beautiful.... ... but once the cover is on... no one will see. :wink:

Skylined

Post by Skylined » Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:25 am

Be careful, there are 2 versions of the 1700+, one of 1.5V and another of 1.6V.

I also have a 1700+ but at 1.6V and 2.1GHz.
SLK-900A with a 92mm fan rated 30dBA(12V) @ 6.5V
My CPU never went over 45C.

I love this CPU.

vortex222

Post by vortex222 » Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:06 am

that 1700 of yours, if you could undervolt and underclock just a littlebit, you could almost go passive with it, or prehaps even run the 80 mm fan at far lower then 6 volts. next stage is to get an ultra quiet hd suspended from elastic(another 5cent mod).

I just built my dad a computer based on the XP2000 and the abit KM266 board and undervolted it by .2 volts. i put stock cpu fan at 5v and it runs somwhere between 40 and 50c under normal use. probibly about 55-60 at full load folding.

robertroig

Post by robertroig » Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:16 am

I did that,
the 8mm fan is running parallel with the psu fan, thus 6v both.
i used some elastic cord from my mum's, and now the HD is hanging.. no vibration noise. yet the sound of accessing it is more audible. (HD temp is down a lot!, it is now placed in the affect area of the 8mm 6v fan)
but that sound is not very disturbing.
now i only have to find the cover for the case... and the little sound it makes will disappear, .. even though i know it may go up a couple ºC.
the cpu is a 1.5V... the mobo only lets me set a minimun voltage of 1.475 (sensor later on reads 1.49.. so it only lowers it 0.01v ...

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:06 pm

robertroig wrote: the 8mm fan is running parallel with the psu fan, thus 6v both.
serial