Very unexpected temperature suprise....

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Very unexpected temperature suprise....

Post by Sizzle » Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:17 pm

After reading various posts in a unrelated search, I decided to unplug my intake fans. To my suprise, my cpu, pwm, and case temps (as reported by my motherboard sensors) dropped 2 degrees C. I have a Lian Li 6070 case, so I figured the intake was not doing much, even with the metal filter tray off.

I have a Thermaltake SP 94 with a 92mm Nexus, another 92mm Nexus as a top blowhole. Two exhaust fans, one Nexus 80mm and one SilenX 14dba 80mm. I also have a 80mm 14dba SilenX in my PSU. I am replacing the SilenX's with Nexus fans. I have found both fans move around the same air, they make similiar air noise, and motor noise, but the SilenX fans seem to have a tiny click to them. Really the only noise is the whooshing noise from the exhaust fans. I am running them at 12v's and my temps are pretty good, so I think I have a lot of room to silence with some undervolting.

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:38 am

I guess what happen was you had a lot of exhaust fans (I counted 4 exhaust fans :shock: not including CPU fan) so the 2 intake fans could not pump in enough air to match with exhaust and become airflow bottleneck. Once you stop the intake fan the intake air is 'less' restricted - I bet if you remove the 2 front fans, temp may drop a bit further as non-moving fan still somewhat restrict airflow.

As you said, your system seem to have more head room for undervolting - if you do not want to take out some exhaust fan that is. :wink:

Noizz

Post by Noizz » Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:47 pm

yes front fans are pretty much pointless unless ur running at really cfm. im running a ss tornado 400 at 800 rpm idle, 120mm nexus at 1000rpm, and a arctic silencer NV5, my case has an additional 120 in the front, but its pointless since the cfm being moved out is greater than the intake.

unless u even out the exhast and intake, it might be better, but i never tried cas i dun wanna waste money on another fan lol :lol:

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:58 pm

I run my rear case exhaust fan at around 800 RPM. Having a front fan definitely does help the suspended hard drive.

The Lian Li 6070 case does look like the front intake is useless, however...