What can I get at a hardware store to dampen my case?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Copyright

What can I get at a hardware store to dampen my case?

Post by Copyright » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:20 am

My PC6070 needs some extra dampening done.. I noticed some thick foam in some cases in between the CD Rom Drives. What does that do? Id like to dampen the rest of my case. I have a large hardware store and a few stereo shops that have dynamat if that will help. Thanks for any tips!

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:38 pm

Copyright

Post by Copyright » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:27 pm

what im trying to really dampen I believe is just hard drive vibration. I can feel it feeding through to my desk. I was hoping laying some dynomat in the bottom of the case may knock out some of the feeding vibe. I can get 2 10x10 squares through a buddy at a local shop for 10$ of the dynamat. Plenty enough to cover the bottom of my case and a few strips to place elsewhere. If you dont think this would help let me know.

Thanks for the links! Good reading.

eidolon
Patron of SPCR

Post by eidolon » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:43 pm

I'd first try and isolate the case from the desk.
An easy way would be to use some sorbothane feet like those used on stereo systems. Although my brother cut up and used some sorbothane from shoe inserts. :shock:

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:56 pm

Save yourself some money...get a roll of "roofer's tape" at the hardware store. Virtually identical to Dynamat at 1/4 the cost. This stuff works well at eliminating panel/case vibration.

hvengel

Post by hvengel » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:33 pm

Bluefront wrote:Save yourself some money...get a roll of "roofer's tape" at the hardware store. Virtually identical to Dynamat at 1/4 the cost. This stuff works well at eliminating panel/case vibration.
This is what I also used and it did help some. But it also sounds like you need to suspend your disk drive(s). This makes an even bigger difference. I would say suspend first then use something like Dynamat or roofer tape.

colin

Post by colin » Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:46 pm

Yeah -- just to ditto hvengel, you'll get much better results by going after the source of the vibration and suspending your hard drive inside the case (there's ample data on how to do that in this site), and what's more it hardly costs anything.

Roofer's tape (or dynamat) may cut noise a little if your case is vibrating audibly, but it will have almost zero effect on the problem you describe. After you've suspended the hard drive, Eidolon's suggestion is where I'd go next. Sorbothane can also be bought from McMaster-Carr.

Check out the "Silent Storage" and "Cases and Damping" forums and the various tutorials and introductions on this site.