Silencing North Bridge on MSI K8N NEO2 motherboard

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

icepik

Silencing North Bridge on MSI K8N NEO2 motherboard

Post by icepik » Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:19 pm

After using this board for about 6 weeks now I've decided it's time to switch gears and look for ways to silence my system. I'll be adding an Arctic Cooling NV5 silencer to the 6800GT after Christmas. I'll probably replace the stock heatsink/fan with a Zalman 7000B. After that, the noisiest component in my pc will be the northbridge fan on the motherboard. I'd like to replace it with a heatsink if that's possible.

I see that Zalman makes this heatsink for the north bridge: ZM-NB47J http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product/co ... p?code=014

I didn't see a motherboard compatibility list for this product on their web site. If I missed it please let me know.

Thought I'd post here and see if anyone has attempted to replace the stock north bridge fan on any nforce3 board with one of these heatsinks and what their results were. If anyone knows if it's possible to use this heatsink with the MSI K8N NEO2 motherboard, that would be helpful too.

Thanks!

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:32 pm

A quick search on "NB47J" AND "K8N" found this very recent thread.

icepik

Post by icepik » Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:49 pm

Thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't seen that thread in my previous search. Looks like Spod is having a tough time with that northbridge too.

Does anyone have any recommendations for any low profile heatsinks for the northbridge? I did a search but am not coming up with any.

I'll probably end up removing the fan anyway. Maybe I'll just purchase one of the Zalman's and trim down most of the fins so it'll fit. Then see if it cools adequately.