Thanks, guys!

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Numbers

Thanks, guys!

Post by Numbers » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:05 am

Well, my case and parts arrived today, so my new system is completely installed, and I'm configuring windows as we speak. I went from a howling machine that I could hear in the next room to a machine that I can barely hear sitting next to it! I'm as giddy as a little girl right now. :lol:

Anyways, these are the system specs:

Fong Kai FK-333
P4 3.0E W/ XP-90 & a nexus 92mm
Intel D875PBZLK motherboard
NEC 3500A/Lite-on 1653 16x burners
Papst 120mm rear fan
Maxtor 300GB ultra16 SATA
Seagate 200GB 7200.7 SATA
ATI 9800xt w/ AC silencer (ATI-3 and NO clicking!)
Audigy2 ZS
Promise TX2 SATA controller
Enermax 475w noisetaker (custom sleeved by FrozenCPU)

My wiring is STILL rediculously bad, but it doesn't seem to hurt airflow, everything is crammed between the motherboard and the 5.25" bays, everything from the front intake to the rear is clear. Heck, my 9800xt went from 82c to 51c! I'm a happy, happy camper. Keep in mind, this is without any decoupling of the hard drives and fans. I'll be adding the fan mounts as soon as I remember where I put my pack, but I don't think it'll help much.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:01 pm

Hehehe, glad you enjoy the silence.

Enjoy it while you can because in a short while your ears are going to adjust to the new noise level and you'll start hearing things :) This is the vicious circle we keep talking about. Once you start down the dark path....... :)

My bet is that your next greatest improvement will come from suspending your harddrives. And/or modding your PSU.

Interitus

Post by Interitus » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:52 pm

ATI 9800xt w/ AC silencer (ATI-3 and NO clicking!)
Cool, maybe the AC silencer next gen models just have issues with the next gen cards' fan controllers and not older model ATI cards...

Numbers

Post by Numbers » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:57 am

Ha, I can see myself adjusting to it eventually. But Frankly, I don't see it getting much quieter without watercooling. Suspending the hard drives would be almost impossible with my case. Just not handy at all. BUT, I have 2 Novibes3 laying around for my to try some things out on.....

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:50 am

I see what you mean about suspension with that case. The good thing about the case is the hard drive bays appear to be completely removable without having to do serious mods.

If I had that case, I'd remove those bays, get some metal sheet at the hardware store and make a custom suspension system for as many drives as I wanted. Pretty sweet. :)

I stayed away from suspension for a long time because I thought grommet mounting was good enough. WOW was I wrong - I totally underestimated suspension.

Numbers

Post by Numbers » Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:49 am

Well, the cage is riveted in, so I'd have to pop everything out. Plus the fabrication of the NEW cage, and not only do I not have the patience for that, well, I doubt I have the time or the skill either. Frankly, the hard drives are inaudible. The noise that I AM hearing is the papst 120mm in the rear, and cutting the grill shouldn't be too tough. I think after that I'm pretty much set. The noisetaker PSU is nearly silent, the nexus on the XP-90 is completely silent, and I hear the FAINTEST seek noises on the hard drives, I literally have to put my ear to the case to hear them. In fact, the maxtor shocked me as to how quiet it was, and I haven't even turned on AAM. Not sure I even need to, if it stays at this noise level.

One thing I AM going to do is put some dampening on the insides of the case panels. I don't want to raise the temps up much, just something to weigh the case sides down. MBM is reporting my case as 24/32/24c, so I think I'm safe.