Help me silence my speakers!

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

chiahaochang
Patron of SPCR

Help me silence my speakers!

Post by chiahaochang » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:09 pm

You probably don't read that everyday...
Similar to davidstone28 problems in this thread http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=18143 my speakers are making a popping sound. I've had them in my system for almost 2 years, and it hasn't made any unwanted noises until the past few months. I don't think I've made any changes immediately prior to beginning to hearing the popping noise either.

Here's what the situation. Speakers are Klispch ProMedia 5.1s, sound card is SB Audigy 2. I'll occassionally hear a popping sound coming from my speakers. It's not very loud, it's almost like the sound of static. But, it happens often, and comes from most any of the channels. I've heard it coming from the front right/left, and rear right/left. I've never noticed it being from more than one speaker at a time, and I've never noticed it coming from the center or sub.

Here's what I've tried to alleviate it with no effect. I've moved the SB to different PCI slots. I've moved the speaker cables as far as possible from power cords. I've used different connectors between PC and sub (with built in amp). I've tried different plugs in my UPS and power strips. I've tried the headphone port on the PM5.1 control pod and hear faint popping noises from my headphones. I've even muted the soundcard (from windows) and I still hear popping noises. That I don't understand.

I've plugged in the speakers (at least the front 2 channels) to a different PC and didn't get popping noises. This PC is on the opposite side of my desk, so I only have to change the PC->sub interconnect and not move anything else. That says to me that the positioning of the speaker cables with respect to power cables isn't an issue. And, it also says that the speakers shouldn't be the issue. But, I'm only able to connect the front left/right and not all 6 channels, so it's not a perfect test.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking it is probably the sound card, but what throws me is that I still get popping noises when I mute all output in Windows.

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:42 pm

Try a new powerbrick or putting the subwoofer/amplifier on a UPS.

EDIT: good game myself. I just read your other thread and saw that you did this exactly. Shrug I dont know sorry.

Numbers

Post by Numbers » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:06 am

you said when you moved the speakers to a different PC, you didn't get the noise. That tells me it's your card, not the speakers. Muting them in windows does nothing, it's still supplying power to the speaker mini-plugs.

greeef

Post by greeef » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:36 am

Do you have any high-drain appliances running on the same mains ring?

In the audio realm, i've heard issues like this being caused by fridges and the like.

chiahaochang
Patron of SPCR

Post by chiahaochang » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:35 pm

Numbers wrote:you said when you moved the speakers to a different PC, you didn't get the noise. That tells me it's your card, not the speakers. Muting them in windows does nothing, it's still supplying power to the speaker mini-plugs.
Ah... I thought Windows mute did tell the soundcard to cut power to the mini-plugs. I don't know why I thought that.

I'll try the onboard sound or a different sound card when I get the chance.

Thanks all.